Author Topic: Not enough Durian Discussion  (Read 54272 times)

0hip

• Australia, Townsville, QLD, 11b
    • View Profile
Re: Not enough Durian Discussion
« Reply #400 on: January 17, 2023, 03:52:35 PM »
 i watched a bunch of those videos on youtube aswell. looks like it works really well and the best part is that if the graft fails you can just try again in another spot on the tree.
  i was considering trying this on my seedling but i think a seedling may have better chances outside of the optimal range for durians so im going to leave it as is.
 i dont think i managed to find any of the videos in english though and none have subtitles so there may be important information missing but after watching a dozen videos you can get a very good idea of what the process is.

cassowary

• Australia FNQ 13a Tropical Monsoon
    • View Profile
    • cassowaryseeds
« Reply #401 on: January 17, 2023, 07:31:07 PM »
Enclosing the whole scion would help with dehydration in the field.

I still wounder what average success rate is?
CASSOWARYSEEDS.COM
Seed shop and Seed exchange

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #402 on: January 17, 2023, 09:06:06 PM »
On a previous trip to Malaysia I went to a durian workshop in Kuala Kangsar that featured grafting. They recommended two types. The same cleft graft that I do and a version of what you see in my previous post but on a smaller rootstock in a pot.
On the side veneer type they wrapped the whole scion tip for two weeks then removed the top part, leaving the graft itself wrapped longer. It’s supposed to have a high success rate but it is simple to repeat straight away if it fails.
Peter

cassowary

• View Profile
    • cassowaryseeds
« Reply #403 on: January 17, 2023, 10:45:51 PM »
It is definitely and interesting topic and I can see there's two distinct paths of grafting

Plants sold by Nurseries (small stock in pot)
Plants propagated on site (field graft)

If I wanted to graft I would definitely go with the field graft options that peter have offered.
There's so many benefits to growing a seedling in the soil and then trying to graft it onsite later.

I can't see a reason why there wouldn't be "grafting" services offered by people soon, they come to the farm and bring the scion with them for grafting onsite. This way someone can operate very lean and without the need for a nursery operation. Just need some basic tools and access to scion.

CASSOWARYSEEDS.COM

Finca La Isla

• View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #404 on: January 18, 2023, 09:26:42 AM »
Exactly that exists in CR but for improving a cacao plantation.
One thing to consider, and maybe this is another can of worms, is the potential advantage of cutting the taproot.  It’s a common practice in SE Asia and I do that too.
With grafting in situ you have plenty of time.  The tree is growing faster in the ground so the development is optimal and you can graft at anytime. 
Peter

fruit nerd

• Australia, FNQ, 13a
    • View Profile
« Reply #405 on: January 20, 2023, 10:33:22 PM »
I do want to try grafting onto an existing seedling tree and will probably plant a couple of trees for this. Probably doesn't hurt to double up on a couple of varieties.

Gone tropo

• Durian obsessed
    • Nth Qld Australia, zone 13a
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: January 27, 2023, 08:56:43 PM »

First durian of the season monthong seedling $60
« Last Edit: March 04, 2023, 08:13:03 PM by Gone tropo »

fruit nerd

• Australia, FNQ, 13a
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: January 27, 2023, 10:28:21 PM »
Nice :) I saw a couple of durians for sale this morning but $90 for 1 ($20/kg). I was tempted but will wait for prices to fall a bit.

Gone tropo

• Durian obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: January 27, 2023, 10:35:43 PM »
You must have been there before me most likely same ones. She had a 6kg plus one at $120 mine isn’t ripe yet and most likely all the segments are not full but unfortunately not many other options.

fruit nerd

• Australia, FNQ, 13a
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: January 27, 2023, 11:24:13 PM »
Ha, yes, sounds like the same ones. They come from a small orchard down the road from my place. For some reason, there is quite a lot of durian grown on our street :)

ben mango

• View Profile
« Reply #410 on: January 28, 2023, 04:32:09 AM »
Looks like they harvested it too early. $120 for an unripe durian , that is damn near robbery

Finca La Isla

• View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #411 on: January 28, 2023, 06:08:17 AM »
That durian looks cut early.  We really make the case here to follow the Malaysian practice of letting the durians fall naturally.
Peter

cassowary

• View Profile
    • cassowaryseeds
« Reply #412 on: January 30, 2023, 06:13:10 PM »
Yeah that one looks really spiky and green so probobly dripped in the wind or was harvested early.
I don't know of anyone in AU that know how to determine when to Pick Monthong so that it will still ripen up. One probably have to count the days and also count the days of full sun because they mature way faster in full sun weather vs rainy overcast.

That looks like a monthong hybrid because the stem is quite long, and where it abscessed is the natural joint because can't see any joint on the stem itself. It got uneven pollination that's why only one section if filled properly.

Peace,
CASSOWARYSEEDS.COM

Gone tropo

• Durian obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: January 30, 2023, 06:24:40 PM »
Yeah that one looks really spiky and green so probobly dripped in the wind or was harvested early.
I don't know of anyone in AU that know how to determine when to Pick Monthong so that it will still ripen up. One probably have to count the days and also count the days of full sun because they mature way faster in full sun weather vs rainy overcast.

That looks like a monthong hybrid because the stem is quite long, and where it abscessed is the natural joint because can't see any joint on the stem itself. It got uneven pollination that's why only one section if filled properly.

Peace,

Cassowary i think you are spot on, i probably shouldnt have bought it but when you havent had durian for 12months times get desperate.  Beggars cant be choosers, Still waiting for it to ripen......

fruit nerd

• Australia, FNQ, 13a
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: January 31, 2023, 02:08:19 AM »
I'm with you Gone Tropo. Looking forward to getting stuck into some fresh durians. Saw a few tree-dropped durians this afternoon on a nearby property. Hopefully we'll see more supply soon.

Anyway, here's my P88 (D178). Been in the ground for 7 months, ~170 cm high. Do you think it's worth taking out some branches?

Finca La Isla

• View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #415 on: January 31, 2023, 08:09:42 AM »
It’s going to need shaping but I think you can let it grow another 6 months first. A photo that really shows the whole tree would be better.
It looks very healthy!
Peter

Gone tropo

• Durian obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: January 31, 2023, 06:27:28 PM »
Fruit nerd your P88 looks great nice healthy tree, mine has been in the ground 19months is also really healthy they really like it here.

I would be very cautious about pruning it especially topping it, a bit over 12months ago a storm broke off the top of my P88 so i cut it to make it a clean cut, anyway since then the tree has grown upside down, all the growth has gone to the top of the tree and the bottom of the tree is missing all the sap.  All the top branches and laterals are nice and fat with lots of leaves which is not ideal you want the bottom part of the tree to have the thick laterals etc.

This is not the first time I have seen this, also some guys it hawaii noted similar when they topped their trees. In my case i didnt want to top it, it happened due to storm but im now very sceptical about topping my trees until they reach desired height.

Just my experience others may have found different

fruit nerd

• Australia, FNQ, 13a
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: January 31, 2023, 08:55:15 PM »
Thanks both. I lwill eave it as is for now then. I won't be topping it for quite a while. I have a pruning pole now for should be able to let it get a decent height before topping. Had a jackfruit that was prematurely topped by a grass hopper, didn't care at all, ha.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2023, 03:24:00 PM by fruit nerd »

Finca La Isla

• View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #418 on: February 01, 2023, 08:14:27 AM »
I think that pruning/shaping durian trees can be important but I like the idea of cutting as little as possible to avoid setbacks.
Still, at some point after a year it can be beneficial to clip the top just above the highest branch. That branch should become the new leader and at the same time encourage lower branch extension. Later we start to clean out the inner branches a bit as well, slowly.
What I am relating here was reinforced on my recent research in Malaysia.
Peter

Gone tropo

• Durian obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: February 01, 2023, 04:16:22 PM »
So Peter you haven’t found that when cutting the top branch that it encourages growth in the upper part of the tree not the lower? Mine grew a new leader but also put all its effort into the top of the tree it is now an upside down tree, I know some others in Hawaii have found this too very weird.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2023, 08:12:11 PM by Gone tropo »

Finca La Isla

• View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #420 on: February 01, 2023, 04:59:00 PM »
So, there can be different shapes that would be acceptable.  But what I am describing is a single leader shape with branches tending toward horizontal. 
For that goal the first issue I note is that on the left side of the photo there is at least one branch that is too long, it’s competing with the leader.  It doesn’t seem like a strong leader has emerged from the topping. 
Some would trim those competing branches back, perhaps tie a weight to make them hang more horizontally. Maybe select a new branch for a leader if what’s there doesn’t have any energy.  Trim some branchlets out of the middle to get more airflow and light throughout the tree.
Another possibility is to abandon the course of the single leader tree shape.  In this case trim the branchlets and go for a multiple leader design, encouraging about 3 to 5 strong branches to come up at about 30 degrees or so.  These branches should then put out more horizontal smaller branches where the fruits will be.
The tree looks healthy and I am not too sure about giving shaping advice like this based on a photo.  As a pruner this is what comes to mind.  Bear in mind that ten capable pruners could easily offer ten distinct solutions. These ideas are more to consider, perhaps with others while looking at the tree then any precise instructions on what to do.
Peter

Gone tropo

• Durian obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: February 01, 2023, 05:50:02 PM »
Thanks Peter that is some excellent advice, this particular variety D178 locally called P88 which is extremely popular here is a more difficult tree to manage than others.  Mine and everyone else I know that has it grows extremely upright, compared to another local popular variety called PK which grows almost perfectly the branches all form nice horizontals and the tree naturally grows wider compared to upright.

fruit nerd

• Australia, FNQ, 13a
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: February 02, 2023, 03:50:56 AM »
Did your durian ripen up okay in the end? I also ended up buying underripe fruit last year so trying to avoid that this year.

pagnr

• View Profile
« Reply #423 on: February 02, 2023, 04:04:38 AM »
I popped into my local Asian grocery here in Victoria, Australia and grabbed some Durian Candy. close smell and faint taste.
A few weeks back tried a Frozen Durian Soy Smoothie from the Bubble Tea Shop. Not a bad effort, nearly convinced.
That is how far I have fallen from my time in Cairns, ate a lot of Sunday and Monday unsold ripening Durians from a friend who sold them on the Friday and Saturday fruit market.

Gone tropo

• Durian obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: February 02, 2023, 04:59:26 AM »
Did your durian ripen up okay in the end? I also ended up buying underripe fruit last year so trying to avoid that this year.

Hey mate I prolly opened it a bit early cos I’m very impatient, some of it was ripe some not quite ripe. My daughter and I ate the whole thing. The segments that were nice and soft were excellent tasted just like kradumthong I had at Salleras farm. I’m pretty easy to please I just love the sweet durian taste. If I ever make it to maylasia and get to try the big guns like musang king and black thorn I will probably never return to Australia.