Citrus > Citrus General Discussion

sumo

<< < (2/13) > >>

ManVFruit:

--- Quote from: brian on February 21, 2022, 09:53:55 PM ---There was just a thread about this very recently. 

I have a shiranui/dekopan/sumo from Harris Citrus.  They have been around a while and I see no reason why it would be a fake.  Fruit looks exactly like the grocery store fruit (though less shrivelled, I don't let it age).  It is really good, definitely one I will keep

--- End quote ---

My tree produces huge sized sumo compared to those sold in the market, I would say some are around twice the size.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CYubOpavdQE/

sc4001992:
FYI, if you purchased shiranui from UCR CCPP budwood, VI860 they have 3 accessions (versions). The shiranui from Harris is another variety of sumo, not the same as what is sold from UCR.

So the real sumo plants are not sold to the public, but all of the fruits are very good tasting. UCR seems to have the fruits that look much closer to what the stores sell as sumo. The true sumo that was brought into US by Sunkist Japan is not for sale to the public, they paid the fees and approved the growers here in CA to grow the crops to sell fruits to the store.

https://citrusvariety.ucr.edu/citrus/CRC4249.html

brian:
I am not very well informed on citrus breeding, but how would multiple very similar versions of a citrus fruit appear like this?  I thought even if you cross two parent plants only, the non-clone seedlings are highly variable, and only an incredibly small fraction would be marketable?

sc4001992:
Brian, I don't know much about the breeding either. But I think what they are saying is there were three different origin of the sumo. One was submitted from China (who said it was a sumo from Japan, could have been a seedling ?), and other one was from Brazil (don't know how they got it, or where), the last one is the true variety that you buy from the market, it came from Japan but not commercially available to buy any budwood from CCPP. Sunkist/Suntreat owns the patent rights and will not just let anyone grow it. They select growers here in CA to plant/produce the sumo for market.

EricSC:

--- Quote from: sc4001992 on February 24, 2022, 02:44:56 PM ---Brian, I don't know much about the breeding either. But I think what they are saying is there were three different origin of the sumo. One was submitted from China (who said it was a sumo from Japan, could have been a seedling ?), and other one was from Brazil (don't know how they got it, or where), the last one is the true variety that you buy from the market, it came from Japan but not commercially available to buy any budwood from CCPP. Sunkist/Suntreat owns the patent rights and will not just let anyone grow it. They select growers here in CA to plant/produce the sumo for market.

--- End quote ---

If you live in FL, you can buy a Shiranui Mandarin Tree at $49.99 now.   The fruits on the pic looks those sold in store.

Florida Only: These options can ship to Florida addresses only.

Out of State: These options can ship to all states except the following: AK, AZ, CA, FL, LA, HI or TX.

If an option is not able to be selected, we are currently out of stock for that option. Click “Notify me when available” to get notified as soon as it is back in stock.

The Shiranui is a Japanese mandarin hybrid between a Ponkan tangerine and a Kiyomi tangor. Its fruit is large, very sweet and produces no seeds making it a highly desirable fresh fruit variety.

Although officially known as Shiranui in Japan, this mandarin variety has been trademarked as both ‘Dekopon’ and ‘Sumo’. In Korea it is called ‘Hallabong’ and in Brazil it is called ‘Kinsei’. No matter what you call it, the Shiranui can be recognized by its large protruding bump on the top of the fruit, which is ripe in early spring to early summer.

Parentage: Ponkan tangerine x Kiyomi tangor
Harvest season: Feb-May
Growing zones: 9-11
Pollinator needed: No
Seeds per fruit: Seedless
Mature height - Full Size: 12-15 ft.
Mature height - Dwarf: 8-10 ft.
Size when shipped: 26-30”

We ship all orders the same business day if placed before 12:00pm EST. We ship trees Mon-Thu so that they arrive prior to the weekend. Your trees may ship the following week to avoid being in transit over the weekend.

Each of our trees is hand-grafted and raised with care at our nursery in Central Florida. We guarantee that you will receive a high quality, healthy citrus tree free of pest or disease - or your money back.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version