Author Topic: Gold nugget self destruction  (Read 1489 times)

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
Gold nugget self destruction
« on: February 03, 2023, 07:12:47 PM »
This tree is really hard on itself.  It breaks branches and loads up so much fruit it's hard on the tree.  Too much of a good thing.

Brad Spaugh

1rainman

• Florida
    • View Profile
Re: Gold nugget self destruction
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2023, 07:48:27 PM »
In the wild citrus usually don't fruit until it's a big tree after five to seven years. So it's good to pick some fruit off when green because this amount of fruit will drain energy on the plant.

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2023, 08:40:02 PM »
That is a really impressive fruit set.  Shame it broke the plant, but what a harvest. 

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2023, 09:09:15 PM »
You might want to pick some of the ripe fruits instead of leaving it on so long. Your tree is still not that large. Fruits will not be ripe until end of Feb/Mar but that's too many to leave on that tree.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2023, 11:43:49 PM »
Too late now, I will start eating them soon and get it off and trim the tree back.  My other citrus trees look similar.   I will post pics of another mandarin tree thats 8 years old and is even more crazy than this one.  The gold nugget is around 5 years old. 
Brad Spaugh

Thomas Black

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2023, 12:12:16 PM »
Spammer
« Last Edit: February 08, 2023, 08:30:04 AM by JakeFruit »

mangoba

• US - Mediterranean
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2023, 05:40:01 AM »
It's too late now; I'll start eating them as soon as possible, take it off, and cut the tree back. I have identical citrus trees in my yard. I'll share pictures of an 8-year-old mandarin tree that is even crazier than this one. It's been there for maybe five years.https://overplugged.org/best-ryzen-motherboard-under-100/

Not too bad for a bot.

EricSC

• san diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2023, 11:07:35 PM »
Too late now, I will start eating them soon and get it off and trim the tree back.  My other citrus trees look similar.   I will post pics of another mandarin tree thats 8 years old and is even more crazy than this one.  The gold nugget is around 5 years old.
The real problem is: From March to June, the fruits will get much sweeter, but it may lead the tree into alternative bearing.   

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2023, 10:25:01 PM »
comment removed wrong thread
« Last Edit: February 17, 2023, 09:04:30 PM by brian »

Kankan

• Fallbrook, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2023, 08:00:56 PM »
I have 4 golden nuggets from 12-5 years old and they all do that unless I can go in early Feb and harvest about half of them. Theyre still good early Feb but it doesnt always keep branches from breaking. Its also the only citrus I prune with any regularity, keeping branches short.

John B

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2023, 11:52:23 AM »
I have 4 golden nuggets from 12-5 years old and they all do that unless I can go in early Feb and harvest about half of them. Theyre still good early Feb but it doesnt always keep branches from breaking. Its also the only citrus I prune with any regularity, keeping branches short.

Yes, I am discovering this is the case with my Tahoe Gold. I thought it just had more of an outward growth habit but it will need selective pruning. It would be fine except for the intense summer sun burns the exposed branches. Lesson learned!

drymifolia

• Seattle 9a/sunset zone 5
    • View Profile
    • the drymifolia collective
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2023, 01:12:37 PM »

Yes, I am discovering this is the case with my Tahoe Gold. I thought it just had more of an outward growth habit but it will need selective pruning. It would be fine except for the intense summer sun burns the exposed branches. Lesson learned!

This is a bit off topic, but my Tahoe Gold (in the ground in the greenhouse) was spreading too much last spring, so I pruned hard in early summer, the mid-summer flush had ENORMOUS thorns. It was almost a thornless citrus before that, but it seems to get pretty aggressively thorny in response to heavy pruning. Just something to keep in mind.

Mine just started its late winter flush in the last week, hoping it'll be lots of flowers because last year it only held one fruit that a squirrel stole when the greenhouse door was open last summer.