Author Topic: Loquats that can survive the desert heat  (Read 3964 times)

snowjunky

• USA, Arizona, Phoenix, 9a/9b
    • View Profile
Re: Loquats that can survive the desert heat
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2023, 12:25:31 AM »
Fall planting is the best planning

pagnr

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2023, 02:03:51 AM »
I am in inland Australia, it is regularly 35 to 40'c plus here , if not 45'c ocasionally. Loquats are fairly common, generally visible from the street so fairly exposed urban sites.
Require summer irrigation, but seem fairly tough.
How do your conditions in Phoenix AZ compare ?

snowjunky

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2023, 02:57:31 AM »
Julys in Phoenix are usually between 105F to 120F so 40C to 49C. 
Humidity lows between 5% to 20% unless we get the monsoons.
I guess that would be January in Australia.

Whenever I used to google for a rare tropical fruit tree in the US, Daley's Nursery always shows up.
Drives me crazy!  :'(

pagnr

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2023, 09:02:24 AM »
We had a few one off 47'c here over the years, Yes December January and February.
Thats why Santa ditches the sleigh for a surfboard when he gets to Australia.
Recently haven't had a long run of 40 plus like a few years back, not complaining.
This year only a good few 40 ish days so far, the nights should start cooling soon so not thinking too many more.

Daley's always shows up, they will be glad to hear that,
possibly it's because they have a Forum ( like this one ) on their website.

snowjunky

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2023, 05:11:59 PM »
It drove me crazy because only Daley's would have those rare fruit trees so it was out of my reach :'(
« Last Edit: February 18, 2023, 06:07:13 PM by snowjunky »

WaterFowler

• Coachella Valley
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2023, 11:30:47 AM »
I've given up on loquats here in the Coachella Valley. Like the others in Phoenix have said, they do great until July rolls around, then they turn into crispy critters. I planted a Champagne and a Big Jim, as well as dozens of seedlings. One of our drivers in LA brings me "Nisperos" from his house every year, and I plant a few every year in different locations but they never survive the summer. Same goes with Avocados. Although one rancher I know has a 12 year old, near 20 foot avocado tree, that one of his workers planted next to a medjool date palm. It's never thrown a fruit one though.

snowjunky

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2023, 02:27:09 PM »
Avocados are much harder to grow than loquats in Phoenix.

mangoba

• US - Mediterranean
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2023, 04:10:40 PM »
I've given up on loquats here in the Coachella Valley. Like the others in Phoenix have said, they do great until July rolls around, then they turn into crispy critters. I planted a Champagne and a Big Jim, as well as dozens of seedlings. One of our drivers in LA brings me "Nisperos" from his house every year, and I plant a few every year in different locations but they never survive the summer. Same goes with Avocados. Although one rancher I know has a 12 year old, near 20 foot avocado tree, that one of his workers planted next to a medjool date palm. It's never thrown a fruit one though.

Give it an other try on a Quince rootstock.

snowjunky

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2023, 05:58:44 PM »

Is there good reason for trying quince rootstock?  Or just why not try it ain't got nothing to lose?

WaterFowler

• Coachella Valley
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2023, 02:49:20 PM »

I've waved the white flag on loquats and while they are tasty, I don't like them better than the other trees I'm trying to get established or plan on putting in the ground

SaltwaterTx

• Gulf Coast Tx 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2023, 03:01:04 PM »
Very good forum topic and very useful information
« Last Edit: February 20, 2023, 10:09:55 PM by SaltwaterTx »

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2023, 11:28:29 PM »
Here's my follow up photos of the two remaining seedlings. These were planted at the end of May 2021. I'm sure if I had separated the two a few months ago into a larger pot they would be even taller. I plan to let these two grow until they fruit since it is from my KT9-Lindsey fruits. These seedlings are much taller than the Peluche seedlings planted at the same time in another tub.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2023, 11:09:39 PM by sc4001992 »

CeeJey

• Arizona 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2023, 12:56:33 PM »

Yeah, I was gonna ask if anyone else had tried this in Phoenix. There's several varieties of quince including the local one you can get at the Tucson natives nursery that can take all seasons out here (I have one in my back yard) but I'm wondering if the grafts would make it through the summer.

mangoba

• US - Mediterranean
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2023, 04:59:22 PM »
Is there good reason for trying quince rootstock?  Or just why not try it ain't got nothing to lose?

What we know for sure is the dwarfing effect on Quince rootstock, but I suggested it since Loquats are thriving in very arid and hot areas in the Mediterranean despite very poor soil and extreme summer heat. I don't really have concrete evidence though.

snowjunky

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2023, 06:42:45 AM »
Interesting because dwarfing should be bad for heat tolerance, since vigor helps overcome heat stress.
For example rootstocks for peach and citrus that do well in Phoenix must have two main traits:
1. tolerance of high soil pH & salts,
2. is vigorous and produce a standard size tree.

Peaches on dwarfing rootstocks like Citation and citrus on Flying Dragon suck here.
Peaches on Lovell or Nemaguard and citrus on C35 suck less.
Viking and Hansen are best for peaches in AZ.
Sour Orange and C22 are great for citrus.

Phoenix is probably hotter than the Mediterranean areas where they grow loquats.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2023, 06:50:26 AM by snowjunky »

JCorte

• Laguna Beach and Fallbrook, CA, zone 10b/10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2023, 09:34:26 AM »
Interesting because dwarfing should be bad for heat tolerance, since vigor helps overcome heat stress.
For example rootstocks for peach and citrus that do well in Phoenix must have two main traits:
1. tolerance of high soil pH & salts,
2. is vigorous and produce a standard size tree.

Peaches on dwarfing rootstocks like Citation and citrus on Flying Dragon suck here.
Peaches on Lovell or Nemaguard and citrus on C35 suck less.
Viking and Hansen are best for peaches in AZ.
Sour Orange and C22 are great for citrus.

Phoenix is probably hotter than the Mediterranean areas where they grow loquats.

Where do you get trees on Viking and Hansen rootstock?  I tried to source Viking rootstocks and couldn't find it anywhere.

Janet

CeeJey

• Arizona 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2023, 02:17:48 PM »
Might still be worth an experiment with the localized quince variety given its tolerance for everything else that Arizona can throw at it (crap soil, high ph, salt, heat, cold).

snowjunky

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2023, 02:18:41 PM »
Fourwindsgrower started selling most of their potted stone fruits like peaches and plums on Viking.
Their bareroots are still on Citation & Nemaguard.

Hansen is only available locally from one nursery in Phoenix, which also has the C22.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2023, 02:50:31 PM by snowjunky »

snowjunky

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2023, 05:47:30 PM »
Might still be worth an experiment with the localized quince variety given its tolerance for everything else that Arizona can throw at it (crap soil, high ph, salt, heat, cold).
True, you never know.

JCorte

• Laguna Beach and Fallbrook, CA, zone 10b/10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2023, 07:19:31 PM »
Fourwindsgrower started selling most of their potted stone fruits like peaches and plums on Viking.
Their bareroots are still on Citation & Nemaguard.

Hansen is only available locally from one nursery in Phoenix, which also has the C22.

Thank you! 

snowjunky

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 20, 2023, 10:35:01 PM »
 :)

snowjunky

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 13, 2023, 02:20:29 AM »
Persimmons also don't like the desert heat and soil.  If you try to grow persimmon in the desert I'd go with Chocolate.
Chocolate is more heat tolerant than all the other persimmons I’ve tried to keep alive in Phoenix.
I grafted it on D. virginiana rootstock because it's better suited for the bad desert soil.
Virginiana root system is more fibrous and tolerates drought and soil salinity better than lotus and kaki.
More nurseries sell persimmon trees on virginiana rootstock now.

snowjunky

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 13, 2023, 02:32:27 AM »
The only problem is finding another variety to pollinate the Chocolate that is also tough.
I'm using Coffee Cake to pollinate my Chocolate, but it's large leaves are tender and gets burnt by the Phoenix heat and sun.
Chocolate has smaller tougher waxier leaves.  Coffee Cake also breaks dormancy later so more likely to get burnt by a heatwave.
If you know of another tough persimmon variety with male flowers please share.

drymifolia

• Seattle 9a/sunset zone 5
    • View Profile
    • the drymifolia collective
« Reply #48 on: March 13, 2023, 02:40:53 AM »
CeeJey & Snowjunky, I think your best chance for a loquat to do well is to start by growing a lot of seedlings and let the strongest one (still alive) survive the heat as they grow to be 1 year old seedlings.
I'm trying that with some other stuff but sourcing that many loquat seeds sounds like a pita.
I saw that Kaz graciously offered to help with seeds, but just thought I'd drop another option here in case you want to add seeds from another source, for more genetic diversity. Sheffield's sells them, here's their pricing:

Items are priced on a curve, you can buy any 'bulk quantity' up to what we have in stock, some examples are:
  • 1 packet (~ 14 seeds)$8.95
  • 8 oz (~ 165 seeds)$36.21
  • 1 lb (~ 330 seeds)$64.50
  • 1 kg (~ 728 seeds)$128.00
  • 10 lb (~ 3300 seeds)$567.60

I ordered some Morus nigra seeds from them just last week, but haven't ordered before.

CeeJey

• Arizona 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 14, 2023, 04:12:02 PM »
I'm still interested in the seedling hardiness experiment, but I'm also working on getting some sonoran quince rootstock to try to graft onto next year. Might as well put the endless root suckers to work.

Meantime I have another grafted Oliver that I'm going to attempt to weather through the summer, that variety is the one I've come the closest to babying through the summer. Gonna just surround it with moringas and tree okra this time and let a bunch of sweet potato vines run underneath for the additional insulation, pretty sure that the heat from the black shade cloth was what killed it last time. It actually perked up today despite the spike in heat, might be that more careful ph adjustment this year is also helping.