Author Topic: Father or mother dictates bloom time with kumquat  (Read 1049 times)

PDXIan

• USA, Portland, Oregon, 8a
    • View Profile
Father or mother dictates bloom time with kumquat
« on: February 09, 2023, 08:12:10 PM »
I've been waiting two years for my Yuzuquat to bloom, it's starting to put out buds now. Heated Greenhouse in Portland, OR. When I got it, I remember reading that it blooms when most other citrus bloom, and ripe in fall. It doesn't bloom when Kumquats bloom, which are ripe into winter.
From what I can tell, with very little out there, the cross was (Nagimi x Meiwa Kumquat) with pollen from Yuzu. Is that what you all believe?
So does that mean that the Yuzu father dictates the bloom time?
Citrangequats are citrange crossed with Kumquat pollen right? and they bloom like Kumquats.

So, if that is true, we should all be crossing everything onto Kumquats, well the Kumquats that are zygotic.

Ilya11

• France, Paris region, Vaux le Penil, middle of Northern z8
    • View Profile
Re: Father or mother dictates bloom time with kumquat
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2023, 05:35:51 AM »
Citrangequats are citrange crossed with Kumquat pollen right? and they bloom like Kumquats.

Citrangequats are results of kumquat flower pollination by citranges. (NagamiXRusk citrange  for Sinton and NagamiXWillitis for Telfair and Thomasville)

link

Best regards,
                       Ilya

PDXIan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2023, 03:37:07 PM »
So do you think that the Yuzuquat is Yuzu Flower pollinated with Kumquat pollen?
And that is why it blooms in spring?

Ilya11

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2023, 03:41:30 AM »
Yuzuquat  is the result of pollination of Nameiwa kumquat flowers by Yuzu pollen.
This cross was produced by William B. Chapman in Texas and named by him.
Best regards,
                       Ilya

Ilya11

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2023, 03:48:47 AM »
I guess the kumquat trait for late flowering is polygenic and gradually being diluted in subsequent hybrid generation.
I do not believe it is inherited through mother cytoplasm factors.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2023, 03:55:22 AM by Ilya11 »
Best regards,
                       Ilya

pagnr

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2023, 09:14:19 AM »
Fortunella Kumquats have small fruit sizes, and many of their hybrids also tend that way. A few hybrid exceptions with bigger fruit.
Fruit size is something to consider in potential hybrids, advantages and disadvantages for small fruit.
Calamondin is another possibility for hybridisation, it has Fortunella ancestry and can flower from seed at around 4 years.

Till

• Germany, Simmerath (City), Zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2023, 01:30:30 PM »
My impression was that crosses between citrus (bloming in spring) and kumquat (blooming in summer) result in plants blooming year around as long as it is warm enough. Examples: Kucle (= Clementine x Kumquat), Calamondin (Mandarin x Kumquat), Limequat (Lime x Kumquat; I have Tavares as it seems). I do not know if that is a rule for all kumquat x citrus crosses.

I said "citrus" but citrus seems to be a category too broad as different patters of flowers formation can be found within the genus citrus. And that leads me to the next point:

An interesting question with regard to bloom time is on which wood plants bloom, on the wood from the year before or on freshly grown wood. Poncirus has winter buds, C. ichangensis has winter buds, and F. margarita also, as far as I remember. Plants that form flower buds for the next year in late summer or autumn bloom in spring. It seems to me that this kind of bud formation tends to be dominantly inherited but that hybrids in addition also form flower buds on new wood or produce leafless short twigs with flowers in spring instead of single flowers (which anatomically are also short twigs). The result are two bloom waves one before the production of new leaves and one or more after the production of new leaves.

As fas as I see Kumquat x (most) Citrus F1 crosses seem to flower from winter buds and from fresh growth.

Is that right? Many people will have more experience than myself with kumquat hybrids and know a greater number of hybrids.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2023, 01:33:31 PM by Till »

PDXIan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2023, 08:27:58 PM »
Ilya,
Do you know with your Ichangquats, is Kumquat the mother or father?

martweb

• Germany, Bavaria, Maisach
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2023, 02:45:08 AM »
From what I read Citrus ichangensis was the female parent.

Ilya11

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2023, 04:08:17 AM »
Yes, the mother seems to be C.ichangensis.
Below is its description from  Citruspflazen von Tropish bis Winterhart book by B.Voss.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2023, 04:16:41 AM by Ilya11 »
Best regards,
                       Ilya

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk