Author Topic: Can lychee erinose mite infect humans?  (Read 1779 times)

Julie

• Miami, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
Can lychee erinose mite infect humans?
« on: February 14, 2023, 10:43:06 AM »
I was working outside in my garden wearing a tank top and when I came inside I noticed a cluster of red bumps on my arm around the size of a penny.  This was in Sept-Oct 2022 and now the rash has expanded to be around the size of a dollar bill approximately and is made up of spreading bumps that are not as red as they were initially.  I have a lychee tree in my yard with LEM and I was wondering if it's possible that the mites from LEM are infecting my arm (similar to scabies, but caused by LEM)?  If anyone knows of anything from the outside in South Florida that could cause a rash that has been growing/expanding for 5-6 months let me know.

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
Re: Can lychee erinose mite infect humans?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2023, 01:39:18 PM »
I would suggest u to consult a doctor on this one, it may be something more serious that is not caused by external factors.

Julie

• Miami, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2023, 01:42:05 PM »
I am but so far one dermatologist didn't know what it was and I have to wait 3 weeks for the next appointment. Ty though

Vegan Potato Man

• Honaunau, HI
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2023, 03:51:38 PM »
Sounds like a bad ringworm infection or something similar. Best of luck!

Anyway I would imagine that it would be pretty difficult for plant pathogens to jump to animals or humans. I couldn't say for sure though. It does sound a lot like ringworm though, especially how the older infected areas are less red.

The fungus that causes ringworm can live for some time on surfaces indoors and in cloth. AFAIK it doesn't tolerate UV exposure well, but it can take several weeks for it to incubate and erupt into a rash.

Here we treat ringworm with neem diluted in jojoba oil and always a fresh towel when showering. Boric acid in the laundry seemed to help too. Also some kind of powder like corn starch or arrowroot for where the sun doesn't shine. If it is ringworm, it can infect other parts of your body. Mine would jump from the back of my hand to my elbow and eventually under my armpit (horrible experience) and other unspeakable places.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2023, 04:04:01 PM by Vegan Potato Man »

Julie

• Miami, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2023, 04:57:40 PM »
Hi thank you for your help.  Is ringworm acquired from the outside or common in Florida?  I've never encountered this before.

Vegan Potato Man

• Honaunau, HI
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2023, 05:11:53 PM »
Hi thank you for your help.  Is ringworm acquired from the outside or common in Florida?  I've never encountered this before.

It is more common in warm humid areas. Someone told me you can get it from walking barefoot but idk if thats true or not. Most common vectors are from people or animals, or places like shared showers and I've heard gym mats can harbor it too. It can take a bit to incubate but definitely talk to a doctor. Does it itch?

Julie

• Miami, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2023, 09:01:59 PM »
Yes it does itch but not all the time, similar to eczema.

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2023, 09:49:52 PM »
If you are comfortable, please post a picture. Found this pdf interesting to learn that longan can also be infected by lychee erinose mite https://discover.pbcgov.org/coextension/agriculture/PDF/New%20Lychee%20Pest%20Mite%20in%20FL.pdf but it’s not erinose mite that’s on your skin the host is the lychee leaves, as far as scabies the host is the human.

-joe

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2023, 10:29:59 PM »
If anyone knows of anything from the outside in South Florida that could cause a rash that has been growing/expanding for 5-6 months let me know.

That's too long to go without seeing dermatologist/physician/etc. So as mentioned, that's best option...

Now for rashes that I have received outdoors: 1. For me, I only get rashes on my body when cutting limbs/and primarily large trunk limbs on mango trees while in the tree wearing shorts and rubbing my legs against the tree while supporting my body while holding the chainsaw. No problems eating mangos or mango skin but the tree trunk sap can cause skin rash on my body needing steroid cream.
2. Poison oak/ Poison Ivy if cutting it and pulling  it with hands etc. a similar response.

Keep thinking of that you have been touching while making your appointment.

Ring worm is a fungal infection that itches and is different than an allergic reaction itchy rash.

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2023, 10:49:00 PM »
There are 1,000 possibilities. Erinose mite is not one of them. I have had ring worm from playing outside as a kid, urishiol poisoning from mango sap, and my brother got MERSA when he worked for a lawn service company. It was difficult to get rid of and probably almost impossible without the right prescription. Some allergic reactions trigger auto immune responses. If the doctor can't tell you what it is, find a new doctor who can.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2023, 11:18:29 PM »
If the doctor can't tell you what it is, find a new doctor who can.
Absolutely!
John

Julie

• Miami, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2023, 09:10:23 PM »

Julie

• Miami, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2023, 09:28:29 PM »
It won't let me upload any more pictures but I'll try again later.  Thank you for everyone who replied, hope I can get to the bottom of this.

Julie

• Miami, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2023, 09:32:33 PM »
From dec 6

Julie

• Miami, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2023, 09:35:03 PM »

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2023, 11:04:36 PM »
Were you working around your mango trees? If so, I would mention that to the dermatologist. If the urushiol (same poison as is in poison ivy) gets in your system it can take a while to clear up and can even move around to different parts of your body. At least those are the symptoms of someone I know who got it. It took months to get it cleard up, but they are fine now and still eat mangos regularly. They are just a lot more careful about not geting the sap on them.

Julie

• Miami, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2023, 08:42:01 AM »
I don't think so, I was in my vegetable garden.  There are mangoes nearby but no fruit or flowers at the time of course and I don't really do anything with the mangoes.  I could have been near them but I definitely wasn't pruning/etc.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2023, 11:54:29 AM »
It looks like fungal.  Same type of thing as ring worm or athletes foot.  You can get anti fungal cream at the drug store it will clear it up.  Theres spores always on our skin that can grow when the area stays wet from sweat etc.  Undersides of arms, crotch, inside of shoes etc. 
Brad Spaugh

Julie

• Miami, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2023, 12:26:11 PM »
Ok thank you so much.  I've been trying to figure out if it was fungal, eczema related or something weird/unlikely.

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2023, 06:33:29 PM »
Hey Julie,

Get over the counter clotrimazole cream (antifungal) and mix with hydrocortisone 1% cream (anti inflammatory also OTC) apply twice daily for 2 weeks and see if that helps, most common issues seem to be tinea or contact dermatitis, if not getting better or gets worse contact a dermatologist which it’s also recommended to get an annual skin check also.

Feel better,

Joe

Julie

• Miami, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2023, 07:58:56 PM »
Hey Julie,

Get over the counter clotrimazole cream (antifungal) and mix with hydrocortisone 1% cream (anti inflammatory also OTC) apply twice daily for 2 weeks and see if that helps, most common issues seem to be tinea or contact dermatitis, if not getting better or gets worse contact a dermatologist which it’s also recommended to get an annual skin check also.

Feel better,

Joe

Thank you so much Joe.  I was thinking the same thing, either contact dermatitis or ringworm. 

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2023, 09:43:50 PM »
Ok thank you so much.  I've been trying to figure out if it was fungal, eczema related or something weird/unlikely.

Good luck, I think you will be better in a week or 2 if you get some stuff on there.  I had these issues after working in sweaty boots for too long.  If you had covid, it can drop your immune system also and these things can start or get worse.  Laying out in the sun with that area getting sun will also help clear it up. 
Brad Spaugh

Julie

• Miami, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2023, 09:04:37 AM »

Good luck, I think you will be better in a week or 2 if you get some stuff on there.  I had these issues after working in sweaty boots for too long.  If you had covid, it can drop your immune system also and these things can start or get worse.  Laying out in the sun with that area getting sun will also help clear it up.

I started treating it last night, hopefully the OTC cream I got will work.  Thank you for your help!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk