Author Topic: Lemon Production in Zone 5  (Read 551 times)

tybert83

• Zone 5b
    • View Profile
Lemon Production in Zone 5
« on: February 25, 2023, 05:57:16 PM »
What potted lemons tree varieites would ripen principally in mid to late summer? I am interested in putting lemons in containers in a greenhouse during the winter and having them outdoors during the growing season.

Nick C

• New Jersey Zone 7A
    • View Profile
Re: Lemon Production in Zone 5
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2023, 11:11:13 PM »
Citrus ripens in the late fall/winter. I'm usually harvesting container grown meyer lemon and ponderosa lemon in December

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2023, 12:56:21 PM »
The highest use period for lemons is during the summer months.  Growers know this, and therefore try to produce their lemon crop at that time of year.  To accomplish this, they withhold the watering during the late fall or early winter until the tree shows a light withering which will cause a fall/winter blooming, thereby causing the tree to produce fruit that will be ready during the high profit period of summer.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2023, 05:47:29 PM by Millet »

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2023, 01:24:13 PM »
I have a few different true lemon trees in my greenhouse and they all come ripe around fall/winter.  Meyer lemon seems to produce more year round, so that is an option.  Also, sunquat/lemonquat produces on a different schedule and is a reasonable lemon substitute. 

1rainman

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2023, 11:44:31 AM »
Meyer is best. It blooms and ripens year round though most blooms are in spring and ripen during late fall. You will get some any time of year.