Author Topic: Variegation spurt on a strawberry guava  (Read 299 times)

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
Variegation spurt on a strawberry guava
« on: February 27, 2023, 12:39:15 PM »
Found this interesting branch the other day, it is a top branch where 2 oposite buds have sprouted with variegation, both the leaves and the stem have the variegation. It is only on this one branch, none of this on the rest of the plant.
There is a flower bud which also seems to be white.
I will monitor the new growth of this branch and if it keeps the variegation will try to air layer it.
Just noticed on the pic that the underside of the leaves are also white, compared to the regular one in the photos.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2023, 12:44:41 PM by Plantinyum »

Fishinsteeg234

• USA, FL, Longwood, zone 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Variegation spurt on a strawberry guava
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2023, 09:28:21 PM »
Interesting. I would try and get that branch grafted on a separate rootstock (by you or an expert to hopefully not lose the scion). If the variegation graft survives and holds, you might have something new? I am unsure if a variegated variety already exists, but this is how new varieties are discovered and brought into cultivation.good luck!

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
Re: Variegation spurt on a strawberry guava
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2023, 02:25:26 AM »
I will graft it or try to root it as a layer, first i will wait till i see the variegation is persistent, right now the branch is having new growth which is very small yet and doesnt show variegation, i hope it shows later. I will try my best not to lose the variegated part while trying to propagate it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk