Citrus > Cold Hardy Citrus

Yuzu

<< < (2/5) > >>

SoCal2warm:

--- Quote from: Unicyclemike on March 01, 2023, 06:55:22 PM ---Does anyone like the taste of Yuzu?  How would you describe the taste?

--- End quote ---
The flavor is kind of "lemon" and "lime"-like, but much more "orange" in flavor, specifically mandarin orange. The aroma is fragrant like a fragrant sour variety of orange. There is also something slightly sulfurous, almost a little reminiscent of grapefruit but a little bit different (maybe almost a small hint of guava-like aroma), and also a "spiciness" that mixes with the fragrant sour orange aroma.

Yuzu can be a really nice interesting flavor added to other things. However the fruits themselves are not really good quality.
The peel of yuzu is more tender than other citrus fruits, and the white pith beneath the peel lacks bitterness, unlike a grapefruit or lemon. (The peel is tender if you're able to get a fresh yuzu recently picked off the tree) This makes yuzu more like a citron.
Yuzu is not so valuable for its juice but rather most of the flavor is in the peel, and oils of the peel.

Yuzu is a unique flavor.

If you were trying to approximate its flavor, probably the closest thing to it would be lime juice mixed with juice from mandarin oranges. Also mixed with juice of seville orange (such as found in a Persian market) if you can find it.

NCCitrus:
Yuzu is very unique; but it's more or less interchangeable in any recipe with a lemon/lime, in my experience.

My personal favorite things to do with it are Yuzu whiskey sours and Yuzu "key lime" pie.

The juice is readily available, if a little pricey, on Amazon. Worth a try to see if you like the flavor before investing in a tree.

PDXIan:
To me it's Lemon/Lime/Pomelo. I think it's an amazing flavor. The oils in the rind are crazy strong.
I use the zest to make these Yuzu beers. We also make a Yuzu Hard Seltzer, I need to update the website.
https://shimai-toshi.com/

Till:
I would not call the rind of my Yuzu edible or lets say tasty. It is too bitter. Yet aromatic. The juice makes a very good lemonade with strong complex aroma better than lemons. Hard to describe: it is sour, lemonlike, a bit of orange and grapefruit I would say. Its a pity that the fruits contain so much seeds and not much juice.

There was a long discussion about the taste of Yuzu in Citrus Growers forum: https://citrusgrowersv2.proboards.com/thread/196/yuzu-taste. Most Europeans valued Yuzu very much while Americans were mostly not positively impressed. The reason seems to be that the Yuzu varieties in Europe are not the same as in the States.

Yuzu ist more resistant to late frost in spring than poncirus although its overall hardiness is not so high.

Zitrusgaertner:

--- Quote from: Till on March 03, 2023, 02:08:58 AM ---There was a long discussion about the taste of Yuzu in Citrus Growers forum: https://citrusgrowersv2.proboards.com/thread/196/yuzu-taste. Most Europeans valued Yuzu very much while Americans were mostly not positively impressed. The reason seems to be that the Yuzu varieties in Europe are not the same as in the States.

--- End quote ---

I think there is much difference between old world culinary tradition as well as openness to new taste and preferences in the US. Yuzu-rind is not bitter at all  ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version