Author Topic: Patience is a Virtue - 1st Sabara flowers  (Read 892 times)

Dirt Diva

• Houston, Tx 9A
    • View Profile
    • YouTube Channel for the DivingTemptress
Patience is a Virtue - 1st Sabara flowers
« on: March 10, 2023, 12:27:07 PM »
PATIENCE IS A VIRTUE
In 1016 I went to a local nursery who told me they had jaboticaba trees. After they searched for over a week, those small trees were found hidden among the crepe myrtle trees, and I came home with a 3 foot tall sabara.  Since there was no label on it, I turned to the Plinia Prince Adam to identify it for me and began my educational journey into these truly amazing fruit trees and settled in collecting other varieties that will reportedly begin fruiting long before the "wolf".
After 6 winters of being wheeled in its 30 gallon pot in and out of the garage, the long awaited discovery -  buds are forming in small clusters along the trunk of the now over 6 ft. tall tree !!!  These pictures don't do it justice but here are just a couple of the long awaited buds, hoping fruit will set and I will finally get to taste what y'all have been raving about ....

P J, the DivingTemptress and Dirt Diva

Tropicaltoba

• Canada, Manitoba, Winnipeg, zone 3
    • View Profile
Re: Patience is a Virtue - 1st Sabara flowers
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2023, 03:05:28 PM »
I’m not sure if mine is a Sabara but I just got my first ones this year they are amazing. I actually thought the skin was good too. Enjoy.

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2023, 11:42:25 AM »
Congrats on your dedication and patience, this is exciting 👍

-Joe

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2023, 01:23:56 PM »
Once they finally start they never stop. More and more fruit on your way

Jeramyl

• San Diego, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2023, 01:01:24 AM »
Fantastic!  Enjoy those treasures. I’m still looking each week to see my first blooms. May be a while still!

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2023, 11:56:07 AM »
I'm wondering if Sabara always takes that many years to start producing fruit.  I've got a one-year-old plant.
John

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2023, 12:23:18 PM »
I'm wondering if Sabara always takes that many years to start producing fruit.  I've got a one-year-old plant.

I've heard some reports of sabara in 7-8 years in FL, but it's rare. Most of them are a 10-12 year sentence, especially out here in CA.

Pan Dulce

• Central Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2023, 10:52:25 PM »
I bought mine as a large 7 gallon tree in 2012 from Lukas Nursery in Orlando. I planted it out as a large 25 gallon tree in 2017, and saw a few flowers last year for the first time.  This year it flowered heavily, and I've harvested close to 200 fruit.  I'm guessing the birds have gotten around a hundred and there are at least another hundred still on the tree.  So, I figure mine is minimum 15 years old but more likely 16-17 years old.  Its currently around 12 feet tall and 8 feet wide.