Author Topic: grafting question  (Read 593 times)

BobHawks

• Los Angeles ca
    • View Profile
grafting question
« on: March 20, 2023, 02:53:30 PM »
Hi
I see different methods and wondering what is correct?  After wrapping the scion and grafting to the tree.  Does it need to be left as is or covered with like a brown paper bag?   I've seen both?
Thanks

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
Re: grafting question
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2023, 04:16:44 PM »
My method is this:

1. Wrap scion in well stretched Buddy Tape
2. Clip bottom using pruning shears
3. Match with rootstock and clip it flat
4. Cut rootstock
5. Shape scion
6. Buddy Tape union
7. Tie union up with green gardening tape
8. Hold the rootstock and jam the scion in to really complete the union. This is really important for big scions that open up a gap.

That's it. I cut off the nursery tape when the union begins to swell, usually that takes 6-8 weeks. Sometimes I forget about it and it's ok, other times it makes the union REAL ugly if it's an aggressive grower so don't forget to release it.

Edit re: bags: I have used them for avocado when the heat turns up. Don't really know if it helps that much. Haven't used them on anything else. I sometimes ponder that they steam the scions if it gets really hot. It just seems to me that well wrapped BuddyTape is sufficient to keep moisture in but then I don't have nearly the avo grafting experience someone like Spaugh has. I follow his lead on that for sure! He has some good grafting videos on his YouTube / TFF post history.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2023, 04:23:28 PM by K-Rimes »

Jeramyl

• San Diego, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2023, 04:17:19 PM »
You will get a lot of answers to this but really depends on the weather you are anticipating and the amount of light exposure. Also depends on the plant you are grafting.  If really hot and dry, you might cover to help keep cool and moist (think desert climate).

If temps are still cool and not a lot of direct sun and heat exposure, you should be fine leaving it wrapped with grafting tape.  I have never covered my grafts with a bag or covering of any sort, other than grafting tape and I have had probably 90% overall success with grafts across multiple plant/tree types.  Grafting really is surprisingly fun and easy if you make clean cuts, align the cambium nicely and wrap well with tape. 

It is spring and in most areas, things are not too hot yet.  As long as it is not in direct, hot sun, a good wrap with grafting tape is probably going to suit you perfectly.  (I am waiting for the critics to jump all over me here!)

The only time I have covered was when air-layering and in that case, I always do. 

Hope that helps and good luck!

Jeramyl

• San Diego, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2023, 04:18:13 PM »
Oops... K-Rimes beat me to it.  I like his answer better anyway.

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2023, 04:25:32 PM »
my method is to use a few small zip ties to hold the graft union tight, then put a plastic baggie over the whole thing.  I don't use buddy tape/parafilm anymore. 

This method works for me because I struggle to get the film and other tape wrapped tightly, often I am grafting a bunch of branches onto one rootstock and there are thorns or other branches in the way that makes wrapping difficult.  I really like zip ties instead, they hold very tight.

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2023, 04:33:30 PM »

to combat the problem Brian is facing, me and my friend designed a grafting clip to secure and protect new grafts.
Unfortunately the product didn’t really gain traction…oh well.
Anyways, if grafts are in shaded or protected place there’s no need to bag. If it’s in full sun, I’ve used aluminum foil to shield new grafts.

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2023, 05:48:31 PM »
here's example of zip tie + bag

this one the scion already had parafilm, but if it doesn't I don't bother adding it
« Last Edit: March 20, 2023, 05:50:14 PM by brian »

BobHawks

• Los Angeles ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2023, 07:53:59 PM »
thanks,  a ton of good info

GrowerA

• Zone9
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2023, 10:40:00 PM »
Brown paper bag mostly would be to protect scion wood from expose to cold or heat/extreme sunray. It can be messy, if your area still has wet weather.  Plastic bag cover mostly would be to keep humidity for scion wood and keep away rain/ water running down to the join of the graft.

You can also try plastic food wrap and aluminum foil show here in my video at 4:50 without using paper or plastic bag.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6m2w21nSps