Tropical Fruit > Tropical Fruit Discussion

Alpine strawberries from seed in subtropical Florida

<< < (2/4) > >>

Rispa:
If you find yard strawberry I think you're better off experimenting with creating a bigger version of them through breeding. I have the one that isn't sweet growing wild in my Houston yard, so that one is definitely heat tolerant. https://homeguides.sfgate.com/little-strawberry-things-yard-76337.html

Tropicaltoba:
Bovine,
I live in zone 3, I actually grow them year round in my heated greenhouse zone 11. I grow yellow wonder and they are delicious. Very small i can usually get about 3berries per week per plant all
Winter long. I have them next to a window so they may dip down to 8-9c in January. I grow them in 2 gallon buckets and they produce well until the heat of the summer, my greenhouse maxes out at 32-33c. I will usually divide the plants in summer and plant them all Outside except for a couple. I grew them from seed and chilled them in the fridge for a month.

pagnr:
Alpine strawberry is available as seed from various seed companies, including different named red varieties, and also named white and yellow types.
Indian strawberry is used as an ornamental in subtropical areas. The fruit are pea sized, but not very sweet.

Galatians522:

--- Quote from: Epicatt2 on March 22, 2023, 01:11:21 PM ---This strawberry thread also leads me to ask about the new introduction 'Pineberries' that I've been reading about which produce berries that look like a negative version of a red strawberry, i.e., having ivory colored fruit covered with red seeds!

Pineberries just this season seem to be showing up in places like Publix in the Tampa, FL area.

But will they grow and survive in west central Florida, I'm wondering.  WIll the plants last more than one season?  Anyone know?

Paul M.
==

--- End quote ---

The ones you are buying in Publix were grown in Florida. UF bred them from a Japanese strawberry. They will probably be no more heat tollerent than any of the other Florida strawberries. I know of several people that have kept plants over the summer. Shade and nematode free soil seem to be requirements with regular fungicide applications being very helpful. Back when plants were $0.25 each it was more costly to keep them over the summer than to buy new. Not sure if that is still true.

Daintree:
Like Tropicaltoba, I grow strawberries year round in my greenhouse.  It gets pretty hot in there in the summer, in the 90's, and never below about 55 in winter.
I grow day neutral strawberries, in my aeroponics tower. I have 25 plants that I just started from dormant bare root plants, and they will produce berries all year long. Yum yum!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version