Author Topic: Need help germinating platonia insignis  (Read 900 times)

VOLANT007

• USA, Florida, Vero Beach, 10a
    • View Profile
Need help germinating platonia insignis
« on: March 28, 2023, 08:59:14 PM »
Would like to seek some help getting platonia insignis seeds to germinate.  Tried 2 separate batches (both from reputable sources) recently and nothing germinated.  I tried soaking 2 in strong distilled drinking alcohol, 2 in 40c distilled water and 2 were soaked in 350 ppm of ga3 for 24 hours.  They were then placed in a baggy with damp coco fiber.  Kept at about 85f.  They began to grow what looked like white mold and had a boggy feeling after about a month and then turned to mush by the second month. 
The second batch was just soaked in H20 over night and then planted in some potting mix (coco fiber, perlite, vermiculite) and kept in the green house with a bag on the top to maintain humidity.  Those didn't get the moldy white stuff but they also turned to mush around the second month. 
Anyone having success germinating these have any tips?

tru

• Texas
    • View Profile
Re: Need help germinating platonia insignis
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2023, 09:12:54 PM »
Also need tips, bought them twice and failed both times
instagram @trumansacco

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2023, 09:14:03 PM »
never got one to sprout- very fresh seeds

VOLANT007

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2023, 10:02:12 PM »
What methods did y'all use?

tru

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2023, 10:06:13 PM »
pretty much same as you, half bag of vermiculite, lightly wet, and heating mat, inside pot to block light

Where is platonia insignis from? With how huge the seed is, I wonder if maybe it needs to be dried out every once in a while for months like it would be in a desert or something, then given the seed bag treatment? I don’t know at all just know what didn’t work for me

I know some seeds need a loooot of time before sprouting due to hormones needing to meet a certain level in the seed before sprouting, im guessing that’s what’s happening here and the texture of the seed lends to a lot of mold ? I really don’t know, kinda sad they never worked out. I finally threw my last one out about a week ago
« Last Edit: March 28, 2023, 10:09:18 PM by tru »
instagram @trumansacco

Nick C

• New Jersey Zone 7A
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2023, 10:13:08 PM »
I actually dug mine up recently to see what was goin on. Mush as well

FloridaManDan

• Fort Lauderdale, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2023, 04:04:47 PM »
From another post on the forum from 2017:

" I found this interesting information on bakuri propagation in: “Fruit Trees and Useful Plants in Amazonian Life” published by FAO/CIFOR and PPI 2011

'If bacuri does not grow in your area on its own, you can plant it. You can do this in one of two ways: by planting the seeds, which take two years to germinate, or by planting grafts and sprouts that produce earlier. A good way to get sprouts quickly and cheaply is to plant a seed and wait 70 days for the roots to grow. Then cut the seed and leave the root in the ground. From the severed root, after two months, a small yellow sprout will grow, which requires a few more months to develop. You must wait about four or five months until the sprout reaches about 40 cm and is ready to be transplanted. A seed with a small piece of root can be used to form new sprouts. Just repeat the process. From one seed it is possible to obtain three or four sprouts. The recommended space for this planting is 10 x 10 m, reaching up to 115 plants/ha. Using this method you can have sprouts ready in less than one year.'"

Forum user Vernmented posted his seeds in ziplock bags with moist sphagnam moss, and had one successfully germinate. Idk if theres more posts continuing that elsewhere on the forum.

tru

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2023, 04:58:03 PM »
Well at least we have a conclusive answer now! Kinda like tissue culturing but in soil lol
instagram @trumansacco

VOLANT007

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2023, 08:03:39 PM »
From another post on the forum from 2017:

" I found this interesting information on bakuri propagation in: “Fruit Trees and Useful Plants in Amazonian Life” published by FAO/CIFOR and PPI 2011

'If bacuri does not grow in your area on its own, you can plant it. You can do this in one of two ways: by planting the seeds, which take two years to germinate, or by planting grafts and sprouts that produce earlier. A good way to get sprouts quickly and cheaply is to plant a seed and wait 70 days for the roots to grow. Then cut the seed and leave the root in the ground. From the severed root, after two months, a small yellow sprout will grow, which requires a few more months to develop. You must wait about four or five months until the sprout reaches about 40 cm and is ready to be transplanted. A seed with a small piece of root can be used to form new sprouts. Just repeat the process. From one seed it is possible to obtain three or four sprouts. The recommended space for this planting is 10 x 10 m, reaching up to 115 plants/ha. Using this method you can have sprouts ready in less than one year.'"

Forum user Vernmented posted his seeds in ziplock bags with moist sphagnam moss, and had one successfully germinate. Idk if theres more posts continuing that elsewhere on the forum.

Thank you, I also saw this post.  I was actually planning on doing the "sprout" method but the seeds would not even germinate.  I might try the zip lock bag method again.

wangyouqin

• china
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2023, 07:41:11 AM »
I am glad to participate in this topic,
I can germinate this species very easily
Experience: Use disinfected peat, and cannot be wet (must pay attention to control water) temperature must not be lower than 21 degrees Celsius until germination. Normally germination within 15 days
You will rot and don't control the water. Primary land, sandy land with good soil permeable

wangyouqin

• china
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2023, 07:43:49 AM »
 ::)In China, this species will be produced soon after resulting

wangyouqin

• china
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2023, 07:59:44 AM »
Would like to seek some help getting platonia insignis seeds to germinate.  Tried 2 separate batches (both from reputable sources) recently and nothing germinated.  I tried soaking 2 in strong distilled drinking alcohol, 2 in 40c distilled water and 2 were soaked in 350 ppm of ga3 for 24 hours.  They were then placed in a baggy with damp coco fiber.  Kept at about 85f.  They began to grow what looked like white mold and had a boggy feeling after about a month and then turned to mush by the second month. 
The second batch was just soaked in H20 over night and then planted in some potting mix (coco fiber, perlite, vermiculite) and kept in the green house with a bag on the top to maintain humidity.  Those didn't get the moldy white stuff but they also turned to mush around the second month. 
Anyone having success germinating these have any tips?
Not
Use coconut bran (too wet), please either sand or peat
Must be breathable. Definitely rotten in the zipper bag (100%) :'( :'( :'( :'(

wangyouqin

• china
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2023, 08:20:35 AM »
Someone pm me asked me about humidity control
I reply to you here. Humidity control just keeps the seeds moist, ;D

wangyouqin

• china
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2023, 08:28:27 AM »
Transplant attention
Don't hurt the roots. Or he'll die for no apparent reason

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2023, 10:52:09 AM »
you da man wangyouqin!

If I ever make it over to china I would love to see your fruit paradise

VOLANT007

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2023, 09:41:56 PM »

so a baggy (not ziplock because it needs to breathe) with DAMP disinfected peat moss kept above 21 C, then they should start producing the root in about 15 days correct?

wangyouqin

• china
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2023, 12:01:44 AM »

so a baggy (not ziplock because it needs to breathe) with DAMP disinfected peat moss kept above 21 C, then they should start producing the root in about 15 days correct?
Yes,
This is my germination seeds prepared to send to Hawaii, USA.
Give away friends,
I did not sell seeds
You need germination seeds, you can consult
Forum member Andrei
Or https://www.bellamytrees.com/seeds :)

wangyouqin

• china
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2023, 12:02:34 AM »

VOLANT007

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2023, 12:46:55 AM »

Yes,
This is my germination seeds prepared to send to Hawaii, USA.
Give away friends,
I did not sell seeds
You need germination seeds, you can consult
Forum member Andrei
Or https://www.bellamytrees.com/seeds :)

thank you for the info, bellamytrees is top notch

shot

• usa fl bokeelia 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2023, 02:53:17 PM »
I have some  germinating on the kitchen table in the bag they came in ,around 15 days but it has been very warm in the house been holding off on the air conditioning as we get a sea breeze.