Author Topic: What's your Favorite March to May 1st Fruit :In Zone 11 to 8 in North America.  (Read 572 times)

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
My Choice is definitely Mulberries. They started being ripe about March 15 and will bear till May in zone 10

Every time I pass one of the big trees, I grab a few hands of fresh juicy sweet berries. Nothing better in March & April for me.

My close second is Sapodilla aka Chico aka Nispero etc. but they are not as plentiful or as easy to pick at the perfect stage without them falling and smashing to a degree.
Sapodilla take some time to pick ripe or pick almost ripe with green skin and gently place in bag or box to let it slowly ripen at room temp. or slightly warmer .... Mulberries are eat on the go... lol ... like fast food but better tasting and so sweet. I have Tice but most of the varieties I've tried are all good.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2023, 09:00:52 PM by palmcity »

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
I have a Florida Glo Peach that has incredible melting white flesh.
They are small though and the tree is not huge either so I don't get a ton of fruit.
I ate 10 pitangatubas yesterday and about 20 grimal jabos.
This year my mulberries are getting destroyed by birds. Cardinals, bluejays,
mocking birds, black birds, wood peckers. Every time I walk out a bunch of
birds fly off. I think there is finally some black fruit the birds haven't stolen.
I have 6 or 7 trees loaded right now too? I have a new one called Siam Jumbo
that is very exciting. It's small but the fruit are huge and very tasty. It's in a
different area of my yard and I am getting to most of the fruit. Last year the birds
didn't touch the mulberries

Epicatt2

• Fruit forest in progress . . .
    • Tampa, FL / Zone 9b
    • View Profile
I'm waiting on some Passiflora edulis (lilikoi) fruit to turn purple plus there's a rack of Dwarf Brazilian bananas that I'm hoping wlll start ripening soon.

My 'Ice Cream' mango bloomed and set half a dozen fruit but they all fell off brefore they got any larger than a pea.  My grumichama also bloomed but set no fruit.

Paul M.
Tampa 9b
==

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
I agree, mulberries! ...and sapodilla, until the mangoes start.

Passion fruit usually are in that zone and a fav, along with bananas.

fruitnut1944

• Alpine Texas
    • View Profile
March to May: blueberries, mulberries, blackberries, apricot, aprium, and nectarines. My greenhouse has been ~95/52 high/low the last two months. I usually run cooler but have planted mango and a female Medjool date pup. They need heat. It works for everything else.

The beauty of a GH is I've never lost a fruit to birds, coon, or anything similar. No spring freeze losses. I love it..!!
« Last Edit: March 31, 2023, 06:05:27 PM by fruitnut1944 »

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile

The answer is!
Mulberry Guava

A toast to Scooter the spearfishing pickleball player

« Last Edit: April 09, 2023, 02:16:55 PM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
Peaches, cherries, sharwil avocsdos.  Sharwil avocado may be the most delicious piece of fruit I have ever eaten.  Peaches are pretty amazing also.  Nothing beats going out to the tree with the whole family and everyone stuff their face with tree ripened juicy peaches.  Or kids climbing the cherry trees and eating 100's of cherries in one go. 
Brad Spaugh

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
Probably custard apple for me.
Mulberrys and Star apples are nice too