Author Topic: Consistent pruning/removal of new growth on dragonfruit  (Read 303 times)

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
Consistent pruning/removal of new growth on dragonfruit
« on: April 06, 2023, 02:12:50 PM »
My vines are big enouth and every new branch that forms, adds a layer on top of the old ones, shading them which i dont think is optimal in any way. I want to consistently prune or even pinch off any new vegetative  growth that the plants want to make, hopefully cantaing the size this way and also i hope to trigger flowerring of the mature vines, along with fertilization? I recon the plants have enough mass to sustain themselves, given if i remove the new growth at all times.
Should i do this?

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
Re: Consistent pruning/removal of new growth on dragonfruit
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2023, 02:17:34 PM »
I let them stack and don't worry about it. I remove maybe 10-20% of old growth that is tired, burnt from frost, or diseased and then I tip the good looking old branches. DF fruits on older arms.

If you remove young arms, it will make it grow more arms all over, imo... Each node can be a fruit, or it can be an arm. You want fruit!

I think your plants will flower on the branches that are hanging down this year. They look old enough. Consider tipping them.

Edit: I forgot to add that when they start to make little branches below the trellis, I do flick those off before they turn into anything. Anything above the trellis I let it fly.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2023, 02:28:35 PM by K-Rimes »

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
Re: Consistent pruning/removal of new growth on dragonfruit
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2023, 02:40:11 PM »
I let them stack and don't worry about it. I remove maybe 10-20% of old growth that is tired, burnt from frost, or diseased and then I tip the good looking old branches. DF fruits on older arms.

If you remove young arms, it will make it grow more arms all over, imo... Each node can be a fruit, or it can be an arm. You want fruit!

I think your plants will flower on the branches that are hanging down this year. They look old enough. Consider tipping them.

Edit: I forgot to add that when they start to make little branches below the trellis, I do flick those off before they turn into anything. Anything above the trellis I let it fly.

Thank you K -Rimes! All of the hanging branches have had their tips cut off, i also cut out the small/weak/short arms from the canopy. Ive red multiple times that one should keep the main vertical stems clean of branches, i do have some branches on mine, quite old ones which do not grow anymore, the only growth thats happening now is on the top. I will finally cut out the lower ones tomorow, they are just a few  and thats why i have let them be till now.
Some of the old branches are so thick and the aerioles are so swolen they look like they would wake up at any time soon, but yet they never do....

As i will have some unneded  cuttings after cutting them, i am wondering if dragon fruit vines themselves are actually edible, any recipes? Internet says that stems are edible ,but info seems scarce.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2023, 02:51:31 PM by Plantinyum »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk