Author Topic: zabala fruit  (Read 5957 times)

HIfarm

• Paukaa, HI, USA zone 12b
    • View Profile
zabala fruit
« on: April 24, 2013, 03:56:04 PM »
Does anyone here have any experience regarding zabala fruit (Lardizabala biternata)?  It sounds interesting but info I have on it is very sketchy.  I hear it is very highly regarded in Chile but nothing specific regarding flavor.  I have heard things suggesting it will take a fair amount of heat but it evidently also requires cold stratification to germinate so I don't know if it would survive here in my area in HI.  I guess at least with the cold stratification requirement, we wouldn't have to worry about it getting "weedy" if it lives & fruits here.

John

MarkoS

• Stuart, FL Zone 9B
    • USA, Florida, Stuart, 10A
    • View Profile
Re: zabala fruit
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 07:08:49 PM »
I've only read about them and been wondering the same thing.

They look interesting so I've been trying to get seeds.  Hirt's Garden had them last year but now I can't find them from anyone.

HIfarm

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2013, 08:52:57 PM »
I did find a source in Chile for them and the price was quite reasonable as I recall but you basically had to attest that you would not sell the seeds, plants, or fruit.  If I grow them, I want to be able to sell the fruit as well.

John

Sanddollarmoon

• View Profile
“Coguil,” anyone growing?
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2013, 06:04:35 PM »
Has anyone heard of this fruit, coguil (lardizabala biternata)? There is a listing on ebay, but it is awfully pricy for only three seeds, when shipping is included. It is supposed to be highly esteemed in Chile, and it looks pretty interesting, like a annonacious banana, although it is unrelated to both.

http://m.ebay.ca/itm/171189421341

Sanddollarmoon

• View Profile
Re: “Coguil,” anyone growing?
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2013, 06:07:38 PM »
Sorry, I got excited and forgot to do a search, although there was not much information on the following thread, either:

http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=5268.0

HIfarm

• View Profile
Re: “Coguil,” anyone growing?
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2013, 06:27:19 PM »
No one knew anything last time it was raised.  MarkoS was going to order some seed, hopefully he can comment on success in germinating.  Stuff I was reading indicated you needed one cold stratification to get any germination and germination got MUCH better after going through two cold cycles (with a warm in between).

John

Sanddollarmoon

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2014, 06:59:11 PM »
It appears it is not the only notable member from Lardizabalaceae, are there any active members growing chocolate vine (akebia quinata)? A plant producing edible blue-violet pods that split open when ripe:

http://kyotofoodie.com/japanese-fruit-akebi/

The author says it is not exactly flavorful, and has a texture akin to that of a lychee, I wonder if this description is applicable to the coguil?

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2014, 08:42:57 PM »
It appears it is not the only notable member from Lardizabalaceae, are there any active members growing chocolate vine (akebia quinata)? A plant producing edible blue-violet pods that split open when ripe:

http://kyotofoodie.com/japanese-fruit-akebi/

The author says it is not exactly flavorful, and has a texture akin to that of a lychee, I wonder if this description is applicable to the coguil?

Akebi grows well here and reportedly fruits, though mine never did. It suckers a fair bit. I got mine from a Taiwanese grower on the other side of town where it's colder and he apparently fruits it. Flowers smell like chocolate. I dug mine up as it was too vigorous for its spot. I still get small suckers popping up now and again.

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2014, 05:30:26 AM »

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2014, 02:04:30 PM »
I just get some seeds... what's the best way to plant them? Thank's!

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2014, 03:05:32 PM »

I had good results with many different seeds soaking for 12 hours in warm water with a little hydrogen peroxide added. Then using Sphagnum moss (none shredded) slightly damp in small plastic bags. The plastic bags are then placed on top of a heat mat with a 40 watt CFL above.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2014, 03:16:59 PM »

I had good results with many different seeds soaking for 12 hours in warm water with a little hydrogen peroxide added. Then using Sphagnum moss (none shredded) slightly damp in small plastic bags. The plastic bags are then placed on top of a heat mat with a 40 watt CFL above.
Thank you my friend!  ;D

HIfarm

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2014, 06:31:08 PM »
From what I have read, you will most likely get zero germination without a cold stratification.  After one, it sounds like germination is low to moderate.  After two cold cycles (with a warm in between), total germination is supposed to be high.  I do not have the links handy now but you could do the search to verify.

Thank you my friend!  ;D

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2014, 06:45:23 PM »
If this is true might be good idea to place seeds in refrigerator for 1-2 weeks then take out and try to germinate.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2014, 05:10:52 AM »
If this is true might be good idea to place seeds in refrigerator for 1-2 weeks then take out and try to germinate.
Thank's!

greenman62

• CharlesitaveNB
    • [url=https://vgruk.com/]vgr uk[/url]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2018, 12:51:16 PM »

i know its an old post, but im wondering if anyone has grown and fruited this ??
and what it tastes like ?

i found seeds here.
i might place an order soon.

http://www.rareplants.es/shop/prodtype.asp?strPageHistory=category&numSearchStartRecord=0&strParents=0&P_ID=12897&CAT_ID=1138&numRecordPosition=1