Author Topic: Thinning Sweet Tart ?  (Read 1098 times)

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
Thinning Sweet Tart ?
« on: October 13, 2017, 11:01:33 AM »
Ok, not exactly a timely question, but I'd like to hear from folks who have been growing Sweet Tart for several years.

Do you thin the clusters of fruit?  I have not, and the tree has not self-thinned. I have ended up with lots of mangos, ripening rather late (which is not a bad thing).  But the mangos have been quite small.  And when harvest is over, the tree looks a bit stressed.

bigalxx15

• USA, Florida, Cooper City, 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Thinning Sweet Tart ?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2017, 12:04:02 PM »
I have attached a picture of my Sweet Tart holding fruit which is growing in a 25 gallon container. This is the first year that I have gotten fruit and I have only had the tree for two years. Also, I have attached a few pictures of the fruit I picked off the tree. I did pick them a little earlier than I would normally pick them because once they really start turning yellow I have to fight off the squirrels, they will even chew through the mesh bags to get at the fruit. I didn't thin out any of the fruit as it only set fifteen mangos.

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
Re: Thinning Sweet Tart ?
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2017, 12:23:33 PM »
I have attached a picture of my Sweet Tart holding fruit which is growing in a 25 gallon container. This is the first year that I have gotten fruit and I have only had the tree for two years. Also, I have attached a few pictures of the fruit I picked off the tree. I did pick them a little earlier than I would normally pick them because once they really start turning yellow I have to fight off the squirrels, they will even chew through the mesh bags to get at the fruit. I didn't thin out any of the fruit as it only set fifteen mangos.

Those are good sized fruit for Sweet Tart.