Author Topic: WHAT!?! The Mango... (can you tell the variety?)  (Read 3325 times)

JakeFruit

• Mod Emeritus
  • FL Gulf Coast Fruit Lover Spam Fighter
    • zone 10A
    • View Profile
WHAT!?! The Mango... (can you tell the variety?)
« on: July 28, 2019, 09:48:42 PM »

There's a tree on a vacant lot near me here on the SW coast of Florida that has the most delicious mangos, just wish I knew the name of the variety. Fruit is fairly large (softball-size/shape), mono seed, skin is light green with only a dull/uneven yellowing upon ripeness, and the flesh is golden, fairly fiberless, with a sweet/tangy balance that makes it easy to eat a whole one yourself. Most of the trees in my area are Tommy Atkins, so this one and its origins are a complete mystery. Anybody have a guess?

JakeFruit

• Mod Emeritus
    • zone 10A
    • View Profile
Re: WHAT!?! The Mango... (can you tell the variety?)
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2019, 08:37:08 AM »
Is there something else I could add (photo of the tree) that might help with identification?

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2019, 08:45:47 AM »
I am not a mango expert but it could be a south Indian mango variety, maybe maglova mango ?!

http://www.d2dorganics.com/organic-fruits/malgova-mango-1-kg.html
Moh'd

JakeFruit

• Mod Emeritus
    • zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2019, 09:18:36 AM »
I am not a mango expert but it could be a south Indian mango variety, maybe maglova mango ?!

http://www.d2dorganics.com/organic-fruits/malgova-mango-1-kg.html
Wow! Thanks Evil!! That's the closest I've seen to these. It would be crazy, considering all the mango trees in the area are the most typical old Florida varieties (Haden, Tommy Atkins, etc.,). In my brief reading just now, I think it is almost surely a Mulgoba. Now I really wonder how that tree got there ;)

Triphal

• US, Midatlantic, Charles Town, 6b + Lowland Tropical Zone 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2019, 12:08:33 PM »
Malgova (mislabled as mulgoba) was introduced into Florida long ago. My experience in 'mangos' takes me back from late1930s to early 1960s only. Following are my personal observations (old) regarding another variety called 'Mundappa' comparing with 'Mulgova'.
But looking at your description and fruit picture above reminds me of a variety called 'Mundappa' grown in the Western  Coastal Belt of present Karnataka and Northern Kerala ,India. It is totally round with no apex and no sinus at it's small beak, size of a softball, deep round cavity at the base around the stalk, green with some light yellowish discoloration at the base while ripening, thin skin, light yellow sweet pulp with light aroma, small roundish pit.
The 'Malgova' is roundish oval, hasn't got a small indistinct cavity around the stalk, fruit turns yellowish with a trace of redness around the base, distinct prominent beak with a definite apex and sinus, yellow sweet more aromatic pulp and a small flatter pit.

JakeFruit

• Mod Emeritus
    • zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2019, 01:02:47 PM »
Interesting Triphal, the link that EvilFruit supplied had an image of mangoes that looked very much like the variety in question, but the other images from Wikipedia and other sources for Mulgovas looked more oblong and did not have the cavity around the stem. Not a lot to see in a simple search on Mundappa mangoes, but the video that turned up in the search definitely looks like the fruit (fast forward to 1:06 in the video, and it's the mangos in the wicker & metal bucket). I wonder if Mundappa goes by a different name here in the US. The story gets more bizarre. I wish there was still fruit on the tree, so I could take some for identification. Hopefully next year, provided they don't bulldoze the lot and put a house on it in the meantime.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trZUo8mzGu4

JakeFruit

• Mod Emeritus
    • zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2019, 01:23:18 PM »
Going just by the photos I've been seeing, it resembles the Malgova more strongly than a Mulgoba. The tree doesn't look that old (I'd guess 15 to 25 years), around ~20' high with a very upright growth habit. It's partially growing underneath a large pine tree that shades half the tree. Tree is definitely bothered by anthracnose.

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2019, 01:57:18 PM »
Get 6-8 turpentine seeds.
I gathered 15 the other day that were husks only.
Pop the husk and germinate the seeds between damp paper towels
Plant 4 germinated seeds in 3 gallon pots and plant 2 directly in
the ground where you want a mango tree. Next Spring graft
fresh scions from your mystery tree on your turpentine rootstock?

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2019, 03:39:16 PM »
So was it planted in a row of TA? or was it a tree that popped up randomly in the field like a TA seedling?

Is there a visible indication that the tree is grafted?

On guessing alone, it looks to be related to Paheri, a North Indian variety with vertical growth habit and high disease susceptibility.

Two plants with similar names exist in the USDA repository, there is Mulgoba, the Florida variety, and Malgova, a variety from India.

JakeFruit

• Mod Emeritus
    • zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2019, 03:50:26 PM »
Get 6-8 turpentine seeds.
I gathered 15 the other day that were husks only.
Pop the husk and germinate the seeds between damp paper towels
Plant 4 germinated seeds in 3 gallon pots and plant 2 directly in
the ground where you want a mango tree. Next Spring graft
fresh scions from your mystery tree on your turpentine rootstock?
Already done :)
I have 6 grafted trees from it, hope to get fruit off the first (from last season) in 2 years.

JakeFruit

• Mod Emeritus
    • zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2019, 03:57:42 PM »
So was it planted in a row of TA? or was it a tree that popped up randomly in the field like a TA seedling?

On guessing alone, it looks to be related to Paheri, a North Indian variety with vertical growth habit and high disease susceptibility.

Two plants with similar names exist in the USDA repository, there is Mulgoba, the Florida variety, and Malgova, a variety from India.
Literally a random spot on a corner lot (under a larger tree, right  next to a busy road). No sign of grafting, smooth trunk, probably 10" in diameter.

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2019, 05:03:30 PM »

Literally a random spot on a corner lot (under a larger tree, right  next to a busy road). No sign of grafting, smooth trunk, probably 10" in diameter.

Sounds like a seedling, and since it is mono, it is unique. If you enjoy it, name it and distribute it to interested parties, if it performs favorably at tastings, people will seek it out.

MANGOJOY

• CORAL SPRINGS
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2019, 06:10:33 PM »

May be both are from India. I have n't seen a Malgova  in the states yet.
http://www.walkthroughindia.com/cuisines/top-12-famous-different-varieties-indian-mangoes/

Look at No.7 in the list. That's looks the same as the Florida Mulgoba.
And the picture of neelam is wrong.

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2019, 08:43:44 PM »

May be both are from India. I have n't seen a Malgova  in the states yet.
http://www.walkthroughindia.com/cuisines/top-12-famous-different-varieties-indian-mangoes/

Look at No.7 in the list. That's looks the same as the Florida Mulgoba.
And the picture of neelam is wrong.

It looks like the Florida variety because it is the Florida variety.

Mulgoba does not originate from India, but the genetics do. That picture was likely taken in Florida and if you look further down, one of the photos is from a mango festival in Florida. All of the photos are from a variety of sources, and many people confuse the two varieties.

As far as I am aware, noone has given the variety in the USDA repository a try.

If you are curious as to the origins of the Florida Mulgoba, the info is out there, it is not a mystery.

The thing about the internet, even accredited news sites is that information does not need to be verifiable. Plenty of misinformation finds its way to the web, sorting through it is necessary at times.

MANGOJOY

• CORAL SPRINGS
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2019, 09:06:39 PM »
I Agree, I just found that photo is from 2014 Redland Summer Fruit Festival, Fruit & Spice Park, Homestead, Florida, USA.

Triphal

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2019, 09:21:38 PM »
In India consonant 'v' is pronounced as 'b'. Forest  = 'vana' is also called as 'bana'. Similarly 'vande' as 'bande'. Mulgova/Mulgava  may have been misspelled as Mulgoba.
I was familiar with Mundappa and Mulgava till 1963 and till then I have seen and tasted over a thousand different varieties of mangoes in India. Mundappa season is over by the end of June.

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2019, 01:47:07 AM »
In India consonant 'v' is pronounced as 'b'. Forest  = 'vana' is also called as 'bana'. Similarly 'vande' as 'bande'. Mulgova/Mulgava  may have been misspelled as Mulgoba.
I was familiar with Mundappa and Mulgava till 1963 and till then I have seen and tasted over a thousand different varieties of mangoes in India. Mundappa season is over by the end of June.

Sound rules aside, they are distinctly different fruit. One originated in Florida and became crucial to the Florida mango gene pool, the other is older and a popular variety in India that many regard as the best.

They are not synonymous.

Triphal

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2019, 08:52:51 AM »
How, who ,why, and when they named this mango 'Mulgoba' a typical Indian name.
'The U S Department of Agriculture introduced "MULGOBA", an improved cultivar from India, in 1889. That time capital of British India was Calcutta in Bengal Province. The Bengalis pronounce 'v' as 'b'. Mulgova which is a cultivar from thousand miles South, was mispronounced by a Bengali officer as 'mulgoba' while the plants were sent to the U S Department of Agriculture. Moreover who will give this variety an East Indian name when none of them existed there.
This mango could have been called 'Tom', 'Dick' or 'Harry' or any other name than  this India named Mulgoba or Mulgova or Mulgoa. Thanks for letting me to comment on this subject. It is interesting to note that 55 years ago Canadians knew more about mangoes than us, their Southern neighbor!

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2019, 09:00:33 AM »
Well done, Sir.  8)

[/quote]
Already done :)
I have 6 grafted trees from it, hope to get fruit off the first (from last season) in 2 years.
[/quote]

JakeFruit

• Mod Emeritus
    • zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2019, 10:59:19 AM »
Sounds like a seedling, and since it is mono, it is unique. If you enjoy it, name it and distribute it to interested parties, if it performs favorably at tastings, people will seek it out.
Well, that would be an interesting turn of events! I wonder if a tree that grows to 10" in diameter would still show signs of grafting...
I think next year (provided the tree is still there) I'll grab a few of the fruit and take them on the road to some of the more knowledgeable mango folks on the East Coast of Florida. If they can't figure out the variety, I might allow myself to dream of naming my very own mango ;)

kmwilli6

• USA, FL, Tampa, 9
    • View Profile
    • Real Sweet Farms
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2020, 04:47:46 PM »
What ever happened with this mango? Did you find any info on it? Sounds really interesting!

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2020, 07:23:25 PM »
I don't know Malgova or Mundappa.

I do know the Floridian Mulgoba;  it bears no resemblance to the picture beginning this post.
Har

JakeFruit

• Mod Emeritus
    • zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2020, 05:30:36 PM »
What ever happened with this mango? Did you find any info on it? Sounds really interesting!

I did not, it does seem to be unique. I've been scoping out all the varieties in close vicinity, lots of Tommy Atkins, Hadens, maybe a Valencia Pride or two, a few Turpentine...it's likely a cross of a TA and something else. I've been trying to beat the squirrels & rats to the fallen fruit, but they obviously like it as much as I do. If there was a home on the lot, I'd definitely make sure they didn't care about me taking the fruit, but there isn't one and the fruit in various stages of rotting on the ground tells me I'm not taking food out of someone else's mouth. I expect the lot will be cleared before too long, hoping my biggest tree I top-worked with scions from it flowers next year.

kmwilli6

• USA, FL, Tampa, 9
    • View Profile
    • Real Sweet Farms
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2020, 08:48:57 AM »
That's awesome! Thanks for sharing. It sounds like a really good mango!