Author Topic: 2023 Mango Season  (Read 31862 times)

drymifolia

• Seattle 9a/sunset zone 5
    • View Profile
    • the drymifolia collective
Re: 2023 Mango Season
« Reply #50 on: February 03, 2023, 04:15:41 PM »
Miami-Dade had a near record low for Jan 2023 (.05 inches), which is about 5th least rainfall since records have been kept.

At out home, via my weather station, we got .03 inches of rain in January. Have barely used the sprinklers as well.  I think that and the cold spells have been contributory to the flowering extravaganza.

Time to water

Wow, I hadn't checked the drought monitor map recently, looks like most of Florida is more dry than usual, with some parts up north even up to D2 level drought:

Carbo

• Brown Thumb in 10b, SE Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 03, 2023, 04:53:30 PM »
Central Broward, my Pickering appears to be in a deep coma.  :-\

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 03, 2023, 05:31:15 PM »
Wake that Pickering up Carbo! Too much dry will not be good for flowering and fruit set. Afraid this has occurred with our m. casturi. Watering it periodically now to wake it up. Can't flower if too dry. Can see it in the shape and feel of the leaves.

Have started watering all of our mango trees.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 03, 2023, 06:46:56 PM »
Finally I can say that Dot will have bloom. Orange sherbert 80% of tree has bloom very little mix.M-4 and Karen Michelle blooming. Strangely Pickering still dormant
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #54 on: February 03, 2023, 09:14:52 PM »
In south Florida Not everything is going to flower off what we got, so don’t think that everything is blooming based on the reports you’re reading. It’s been an extremely warm winter outside what we got a couple weeks ago. So far some prominent hold outs , aside from the usual suspects (Sindhri, Dasheri, Gilas, Sey Pasala) are Van Dyke, Valencia Pride, Various Mangifera species, and several others.

If your tree doesn’t push panicles within the next week or so, there is still time for another cold front, but this month is likely going to finish way above average.

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 04, 2023, 10:03:56 AM »
True, while not everything is blooming, a lot are up in Jupiter (just a little further north of Palm Beach).
Unfortunately some varieties are showing a whole lot of mixed bloom especially those just opening bud now.  PPK for example is only just pushing and it appears it will new vegetative growth.  M4 appears finally ready to push and I am optimistic it will flower, it has been warm for some time though so who knows.  Son Pari has not bloomed in my yard (still a small tree).

I believe the excitement is because many varieties responded well to the Christmas day and January cold snaps, more than we would have expected given both were not sustained chills and temperatures rose quickly after.   
« Last Edit: February 04, 2023, 10:31:42 AM by Orkine »

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 04, 2023, 10:28:14 AM »
The Good News for my plot of land in Martin County, Fl.......... Almost 100% of the trees have buds,panicles, or blooms on them or have previously had them over this winter of the mature trees that produced fruit last year.

It has not rained over the past week here. Since I do not live on coral calcium deposits a foot down, my trees that are over 6 yrs old should be able to easily pick up water since my water table is only 6 to 10 ft. below the sandy surface usually. Thus if mature trees, use your head and ask the question, "Do I really need to water my mature mango trees?" Now if they are small and newly planted, that's a different story.

Some of the previously mentioned in this thread that I grow:
Valencia Pride and Kesar have a few panicles and many buds.
Pickering and Himsager are blooming.
PPK,M4, Keitt, and NDM has buds/few panicles.
Glen,coconut cream, sugarloaf, Madame Francis,Maha,Fruit Punch, and Dot are blooming

At this point, it looks like it could be an above average mango crop in 2023 at my residence. But as they say, "Don't count your chickens before they hatch."

I am also especially excited about 4 seedling trees of unknown varieties that are sending up buds/blooms; as I get to possibly try a totally new variety in the future.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2023, 11:59:50 AM by palmcity »

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 04, 2023, 11:00:58 AM »

...a little worried about the rain forecast this weekend. Might have to break out the leaf blower and dry some flowers =)
[/quote]

Roblack your trees are doing great! Looks like a good year for you
 . My trees have started to flower also, some are barely an inch long while others have fully emerged. The Keitt, Maha and 2/3 of the Glenn are the ones most far behind. One Cogshall is barely starting while half of my 2nd Cogshall are almost fully emerged. It's amazing how different the blooming stages in my mango trees. Same temperature water and sun  ::)...weird. My Lychee is in full bloom, the last 3 years I've not had any fruits from this tree either due to freeze and or who knows what Lol...

Congrats all, thanks for sharing your pictures... hope this year is bumper crop for all of us  ;)

fruitnoob

• Florida, Zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 04, 2023, 07:45:40 PM »
I've been taking (almost) daily pictures of my mango trees to monitor their progress. I Below pics are from my Maha.

Tom

RS

• Central FL, 9b/10a microclimate
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 05, 2023, 08:52:45 AM »

Rosigold is way ahead of the game. Luckily didn't get affected by the cold spells. Hopefully we're done with cold this season.

yoski this looks great. Did you protect it during the Dec freeze/do you find this variety fairly easy to grow?

noochka1

• Miramar, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 05, 2023, 09:45:33 AM »
It looks like it's going to be a good year.  I've got confirmed bloom on Banganpalli, Jehangir, Kesar, Jumbo Kesar, Julie, Dot, East Indian, Janardhan Pasand, USDA Himsagar, Neelam, Mahmood Vikarabad, #11, and Alumpur Baneshan.   I'm spraying the heck out of them this year cuz I'm tired of losing fruit to powdery mildew attacks.  Waiting for bloom on Borsha, Malda, Sindhri, Manohar, Sonpari, Panchadarakalasa, Dashiri and Royal Special.

Probably most interesting collection of mango trees, why did you decide on these varieties?

Thanks,

Joe
I guess I'm just a sucker for the unusual.  The downside of collecting oddballs is that there are often very good reasons they are uncommon.  Not fruiting well (or not fruiting at all) seems to be a pretty common one :-(

puglvr1

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 05, 2023, 10:17:32 AM »
I've been taking (almost) daily pictures of my mango trees to monitor their progress. I Below pics are from my Maha. "

Tom, my Maha and a few other mango trees are about the same size in blooms as yours.

My Lychee Tree, I hope I get some to form fruits this year  :) but who knows Lol...

This is my 15 year old Keitt...it has been my smallest tree, grows very slow plus it has been damaged severely by freeze for several years and is planted in a shady location.

Blooms starting to emerge...

My 15 year old Glenn in comparison to my Keitt...

Hurricane Irma tilted the tree to the right...but seems to doing fine.

Calusa

• St Petersburg, Florida 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 05, 2023, 11:18:50 AM »
My healthy young Maha blooming like crazy, with one little peanut size fruit from a bloom during the Fall.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 05, 2023, 12:49:34 PM »
Ended up getting a lot of rain

.39 yesterday, .97 today

Used the electric leaf blower to dry panicles on a few trees, lmao

...some spray, I blow dry

Great news Palmcity! Coco Cream blooming is no small thing, and 4 unique seedlings would be the most exciting to me as well

Thank you Puglvr1!

Beautiful Maha Calusa. Pretty fruits soon, to go with a pretty tree

Hear ya FruitNoob, getting that daily dose of dopamine from checking on flower spikes and fruitlets is a nice break from the crappy newsfeeds and stresses of life. Keep the updates rolling!

Hope to see some fruitlets soon on those greenhouse mangoes Jabo!

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 05, 2023, 03:31:31 PM »
My healthy young Maha blooming like crazy, with one little peanut size fruit from a bloom during the Fall.

That's really cool.  Maha is not considered precocious.  My tree was about 3 years old and twice that size before it blossomed for the first time.  Maha has great looking fruit--the shape and the coloring--oh, and great tasting, too!  Don't let it hold too many this year.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2023, 03:41:19 PM by johnb51 »
John

puglvr1

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 06, 2023, 11:14:54 AM »

Great looking Maha Calusa! Very healthy. I do love my Maha and I agree with John the fruit is yummy and nothing beats the fragrance of a ripe Maha, it's heavenly

Honest Abe

• Biscayne Park, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 06, 2023, 02:01:39 PM »
Pickering

Bailey’s Marvel

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 06, 2023, 03:27:48 PM »
How old and how big is that Bailey's Marvel tree, Honest Abe? Beautiful tree! Bailey's Marvels are awesome.

Honest Abe

• Biscayne Park, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 06, 2023, 08:03:44 PM »
How old and how big is that Bailey's Marvel tree, Honest Abe? Beautiful tree! Bailey's Marvels are awesome.

Fliptop, thanks. I planted my Bailey’s marvel 2019 as a 3 gallon from Julian Lara of Lara Farms in homestead. I told him “I need a mango tree just for my wife, she wants a classically flavored “Miami mango” that reminds her of all the generic Miami Haden seedlings and such. He didn’t hesitate to recommend Bailey’s Marvel and told me I’m in “the honey zone” and that he thought most mango trees including that one would do great there.

What I didn’t know to expect was the incredible vigor even with my yearly tipping and shaping, not his fault I didn’t ask…but WOW that thing grows as fast as a Valencia pride…FAST.  One large tree is nice for shade and a swing for the kiddo but I fear it’s massive potential and difficulty of picking in the future as I know I can’t expect to keep it that size with good production forever.

What I also didn’t expect was a flavor and desert quality that lands it top ten list amongst giants like sugarloaf, cecilove, sweet tart, pineapple Pleasure…

It’s a 10/10 for me but I LOVE ridiculously sweet mangos.

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 06, 2023, 10:32:21 PM »
Bloom

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 07, 2023, 08:27:46 AM »
Agreed, that is one beautiful Baileys Marvel!

It's funny when the blooms appear to be weighing a tree drown. Amazing inflorescence Palmcity!

fruitnoob

• Florida, Zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 09, 2023, 12:32:00 PM »
Bought this Carrie mango tree in April/May. Got knocked down pretty hard by Ian. Still loaded with flowers. Waiting for the fruits to form to nip off .

Tom

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 09, 2023, 03:52:40 PM »

Fliptop, thanks. I planted my Bailey’s marvel 2019 ......

What I didn’t know to expect was the incredible vigor even with my yearly tipping and shaping, not his fault I didn’t ask…but WOW that thing grows as fast as a Valencia pride…FAST.  One large tree is nice for shade and a swing for the kiddo but I fear it’s massive potential and difficulty of picking in the future as I know I can’t expect to keep it that size with good production forever.

Regarding the size of your BM, do not fear.  Mine started gangbusters, like it was reaching for the sky, got a a nice shape at about 16 feet and slowed down.  I can manage it at that height by removing wood (major branches) strategically every other year or so.  The tree is 15 years plus old, and has varied in height between 14 and 18 feet (20 feet tops) in the last 8 years or so based on my control measures.

My is an alternate bearer.  It fruits heavily one year then very lightly the next.  Not sure if it naturally behaves that way, or if does in part as a result of my management actions.  I had read or heard somewhere that Dr. Campbell recommended removing woody stem (nitrogen stored in the tree) to tame a vigorous tree.

Went searching and found it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMhmNAiRHC0

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 09, 2023, 08:48:48 PM »
Girlfriend's Pickering in Bonita Springs

Honest Abe

• Biscayne Park, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 09, 2023, 08:56:25 PM »
Okrine, thanks for that info…mine has bloomed full for three years now, I remove some wood that’s vertical and tip prune anything vertical that is left. Result is a very wide tree.

Alex Salazar has stated that a vigorous tree that is maintained at a small height will eventually just want to push foliar growth, but HOW small is the confounding variable.

From what your routine sounds like, yea I guess yours seems to alternate bear because you prune heavily every other year and therefore needs to replace leaves instead of flower on those years.

Thanks again that’s great info I’ll keep pruning after harvest and hope for the best.