Author Topic: Best Tasting Wooly Leaf -Yellow Sapote (C.Tetrameria)?  (Read 1823 times)

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
Best Tasting Wooly Leaf -Yellow Sapote (C.Tetrameria)?
« on: November 08, 2023, 10:36:46 PM »
Hi, now that I'm starting to get ripe fruits on my multi-grafted tree, I wondered which yellow sapote is the best tasting to everyone who has a tree.

Here's what I grow, if you know of other yellow sapote then please post the variety name or indicate if it's a seedling tree.

I have not tasted fruits of item 1,3, & 5 yet. So far, the best tasting to me is Younghan's Gold and Clytia.

Please post any photos you might have of your fruits. I will post the photos of the Clytia fruits I ate last week.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2024, 09:10:03 PM by sc4001992 »

Mango Stein

• Zone 7a
    • Schengen frontier
    • View Profile
Re: Best Tasting Yellow Sapote ( C.Tetrameria) ?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2023, 05:21:24 AM »
It would be a lot less confusing for the forum if you referred to this species using the more common appellation of "wooly leaf sapote." It's more green than yellow, and isn't in the Sapotaceae family.

While P. campechiana is called canistel, it is also very much associated with the term yellow sapote, for good reason.

Eugenia luschnathiana = CURUIRI.    Talisia esculenta = PITOMBA
I do not recommend people deal with Fruit Lovers, Prisca Mariya or Fernando Malpartida

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
Re: Best Tasting Yellow Sapote ( C.Tetrameria) ?
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2023, 02:49:00 PM »
Yes, I can add that on the title, but the is only the  C.Tetrameria which is called the wooly leaf sapote correct?

Draak

• East Bay Area California, zone 9a/b
    • View Profile
Re: Best Tasting Wooly Leaf -Yellow Sapote ( C.Tetrameria) ?
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2023, 08:25:00 PM »
I would love to aid you in your quest! Do you know where I could get seeds or seedlings?

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2023, 09:16:00 PM »
You can buy it from anyone who is growing it. I don't sell my fruit seeds since I grow my own seedling as well as purchase more seeds for seedling plants to graft.

You can buy seeds from Brian Laufer, he has a website. He sells the white sapote seeds.

https://www.raindanceseeds.com/plantsandseeds/edxqtzf2naa6zaplrkm4emm9jxcrr3
« Last Edit: November 10, 2023, 04:03:46 AM by sc4001992 »

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2023, 10:13:44 PM »
I was under the impression that Smathers was a C. tetremeria cultivar. I know the leaves are a little fuzzy. Can anyone confirm this?

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2023, 03:35:38 AM »
Galatians522, good point. I did not identify it as yellow sapote since I was not sure. I do have grafts of it on my tree so when it fruits next year, I should know for sure.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2023, 03:53:59 AM »
This is the post where I read what Jack said on page 2, that the Wooly Leaf and Yellow sapote is the C. Tetrameria so that is the reason Mango Stein I called this post title "C. Tetrameria".

Galatians522, I confirmed Smathers is not a c. etrameria.
I'm updating the table again to delete the Smathers, it does not have the wooly leaf.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2024, 05:25:48 PM by sc4001992 »

Jack, Nipomo

• San Luis Obispo County, CA zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2023, 08:49:02 AM »
Based on a taste test included in an old CRFG yearbook (long since donated to Mexican grower), #6 and #7 came out on top in taste. I have several C. tetrameria about 20 years old and both #6 AND #7 are good, but prefer #7.  Fruit are huge, seeds much smaller than C. edulis seeds, and all have the "wooly" or fuzzy leaf.  Trees tend to be much slmaller than C. edulis by far.  There is graft compatibility between C. edulis and C. tetrameria as some of my trees with mixed grafts are over 20 years old.  Both C. tetrameria on C. edulis and visa versa produce dwarfing one combination more than the other.  Other than the "wooly" leaves characteristic, many of my C. edulis produce yellowish colored fruit when ripe.  Have had C. edulis damaged by frost, but never had C. tetrameria show any effect.  Interestingly "Suebelle" is thought to be a cross between C. edulis and C. tetrameria due to its "wooly" leaf underside.  For me, it is also a small tree compared to the monster white sapote treees, yet seeds resemble the white sapote.

Benoit30

• France (Nmes) zone 9
    • View Profile
    • Acclimatons
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2023, 03:58:59 AM »
Hello,
I'm a white Sapotes enthusiast, unfortunately in France it's very difficult to get hold of them, there are only a few trees in the botanical gardens on the Cte d'Azur.
I'm surprised to see Younghan's Gold classified as Casimiroa tetrameria, as I have a grafted tree and the underside of the leaves doesn't seem very downy to me.
What are the characteristics of C. tetrameria that distinguish it from C. edulis? It seems to me that the seeds are smaller, the leaves broader and the undersides downy? Any other unique features?
Both C. tetrameria on C. edulis and visa versa produce dwarfing one combination more than the other.
There's obviously a strong grafting affinity between these two Casimiroa. Is it also possible to graft onto C. pringlei?
Have had C. edulis damaged by frost, but never had C. tetrameria show any effect.
I thought it was exactly the opposite, thanks for the feedback. What temperature did your trees endure?
« Last Edit: November 12, 2023, 04:08:46 AM by Benoit30 »
Acclimating white sapote, avocado, mango, cherimoya in marginal zone 9 climate. https://acclimatons.com/

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2023, 04:57:22 AM »
I'm not positive that Younghan's Gold is a yellow sapote. I just know the flesh is very yellow like most C. Tetrameria. I notice there are some varieties that have the fuzzy undersize but not a wooly leaf/yellow sapote. Maybe someone here who knows more about the Younghan's Gold can respond.

Jack, Nipomo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2023, 08:39:35 AM »
Have had C. edulis damaged by 30 F, but that was before growing C. tetrameria.  C. tetrameria are now mature trees and have not seen damage at 28F.  However, damage experienced on white sapote was when trees were isolated and yellow sapote have been grown for the past 15 years surrounded by closed-in mature trees.  45 years ago we killed many sensitive plants/trees (many little macadamias, now fully grown) when we got down to low 30'sF and even once 17F.  Canopy of trees covering 1 1/2 acres is very protective as are the effects of global warming.  Orchard thermometers have not been below 30F the past 5 years.  A side-by-side comparison therefore cannot be made as so many variables have changed.  Another factor is simply the tree's maturity.  One that grows through several frost-free years has the capability of surviving frost/freeze due to its maturity.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2023, 11:57:55 AM »
I will post some photos of another fruit I tasted, not sure if it is a yellow sapote or white.

I will also double check the underside of the Younghan's Gold tree and report back if it is wooly.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2023, 01:03:44 PM »
Ok, just checked the leaves on the Younghan's Gold, it is not wooley so I guess it is a white sapote even though the flesh is very yellow.

Younghan's is top 3 in taste for me. The best Florida white sapote I have growing on my tree. Vey productive, as soon as it finishes fruiting, it starts again, I have many fruits on it right now. Highly recommend it for those who can grow only a few varieties. The other excellent variety is the C. Tetrameria #7, very productive and excellent flavor.

FigoVelo

• Sebastopol, California, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2023, 01:14:40 PM »
Have had C. edulis damaged by 30 F, but that was before growing C. tetrameria.  C. tetrameria are now mature trees and have not seen damage at 28F.  However, damage experienced on white sapote was when trees were isolated and yellow sapote have been grown for the past 15 years surrounded by closed-in mature trees.  45 years ago we killed many sensitive plants/trees (many little macadamias, now fully grown) when we got down to low 30'sF and even once 17F.  Canopy of trees covering 1 1/2 acres is very protective as are the effects of global warming.  Orchard thermometers have not been below 30F the past 5 years.  A side-by-side comparison therefore cannot be made as so many variables have changed.  Another factor is simply the tree's maturity.  One that grows through several frost-free years has the capability of surviving frost/freeze due to its maturity.

Jack, the protective canopy effect you describe sounds interesting. It makes me wonder - how far apart are your trees spaced in this part of the orchard? And how many years did it take to go from single stem/small trees to the canopied system you have now? (I had not given much thought before to the possibility of creating my own frost protection with the trees themselves.)

I also have been under the impression that C. edulis is much hardier than C. tetrameira. In general, would you say it's the other way around?

One more Q: You say your C. edulis have been damaged at 30 degrees F. I sure thought they were hardy against temps as low as 26, or even lower. Were those trees immature, by any chance?

Thanks.

Jack, Nipomo

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2023, 08:46:18 AM »
Trees here are densly planted as original 15 ft spacing has diminished due to overplanting.  Cold temps we experienced 20 years ago (low once of 17-killed many mature eucalyptus trees in area), used return-stack heaters in those early days, covers, etc.  Trees are fully grown now and canopy effect and global warming (recorded evidence for local winter temps) there has been no real damage in past few years.  During the fight against freezing played with many alternatives.  Found temperature, freeze duration, humidity (dry cold nights were the worst) and soil moisture relevant to damage.  Canopy effect keeps humidity high along with soil moisture.  Freeze duration is shortened with higher humidity.  We are in 300 ft of dune sand so never worried about overwatering.  Did burn lot of diesel fuel in heaters in those days.  Plant maturity today makes a difference.  Those were immature plants back then, we are now close to 50 years here on 1 1/2 acres.  Never had C. tetrameira burned except new leaves.  C. edulis have been lost to freeze.  Then again, tree location, humidity, etc. are factors to consider more than temperature.  I have a 10 degree difference from one part of property to another.  Colder areas get citrus, warmer areas hold avocados etc.  If it was easy it wouldn't be fun.

Pneuma

• Dont Panic its Organic
    • 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2023, 11:18:51 AM »
No fruit experience to add just a pic of a tree I got from local plant wizard Nate

"Flowers always make people better, happier and more helpful; they are sunshine, food and medicine for the soul.'
-Luther Burbank

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2023, 11:47:12 AM »
That's "Smathers" Tetrameria.
Why the cage?
They can fruit unprotected in Sac's extreme weather.

Pneuma

• Dont Panic its Organic
    • 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2023, 09:21:26 PM »
caged for deer I noticed last year my younger trees that got caged and white row cover cloth for wind protection the deer didnt fuck with so I have a big ass roll just slapped it up after they went after my white sapote this past spring.
"Flowers always make people better, happier and more helpful; they are sunshine, food and medicine for the soul.'
-Luther Burbank

FigoVelo

• Sebastopol, California, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2023, 09:30:08 PM »
I just noticed with embarrassment that I've been spelling tetrameria incorrectly. You all were very polite to tolerate that  ::)

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2024, 04:53:24 PM »
I'm updating my list and removing the Smathers from the Yellow (C.T.) list. My grafted branches have enough mature leaves that I can see it has no fuzzy/wooley leaves.

I'll post some leaf photos later tonight of Smathers along with a true yellow (C.T.) leaf from CSUF arboretum and from Robert's  yellow (C.T.) seedling tree as well.

viDda

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2024, 07:11:33 PM »
Mary Lane is yellow?  Does anyone have pics of the Mary Lane Fruit?
Pretty new to fruit growing but I am full steam ahead and getting much better.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2024, 09:06:02 PM »
Here's a post about the Mary Ln from Mark Lee. I thought it was a yellow but I didn't have ripe fruits yet. Mark should be able to confirm it.

https://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=47666.msg463505#msg463505

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2024, 09:09:34 PM »
I did ask Mark if it was a yellow sapote and he said yes.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
Re: Best Tasting Wooly Leaf -Yellow Sapote (C.Tetrameria)?
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2024, 09:11:52 PM »
I went outside today in the rain to check on the Mary Ln graft, it looks to be wooly but it is wet so will need to wait until it dries to confirm. The graft is only 1 year old and it is holding little fruits now.