Author Topic: Will Lychee Production Keep Dwindling in S. Florida?  (Read 582 times)

FruitGrower

• South Florida
    • View Profile
Will Lychee Production Keep Dwindling in S. Florida?
« on: June 03, 2022, 06:40:35 PM »
I was always on the fence with lychee vs. longan debate flavor wise but if you factor in the tree, longan wins hands down. I have 6 lychee trees of 5 varieties, all of them have been infected with the lychee erinose mite. Today I found the first signs of it on my last holdout tree, my Brewster. Right next to it my Sri Chompoo longan is starting its second flowering while holding a nice crop from the first bloom.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2022, 06:49:45 PM by FruitGrower »

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
Re: Will Lychee Production Keep Dwindling in S. Florida?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2022, 02:21:30 AM »
It is very sad that erinose mite is now in Florida. It sounds like it is spreading everywhere in the state. I hope we can keep it out of california. But I doubt it. Many nurseries here are still buying their lychee trees from Florida. It is only a matter of time before the light spreads here.

Bill

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2022, 08:06:12 AM »
Bad indeed.
I hope there is real effort put into discovering effective controls that are practical and lasting.

By the way, sure you  meant blight, we will be happy to give you the light and keep the "b" :)

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2022, 10:10:00 AM »
Auto correct got me. It changed mite to light. Ohh well.

Bill

dwfl

• Bokeelia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2022, 10:43:02 AM »
Every lychee growing area around the world that this mite has spread and gained a foothold they have stayed permanently if not eradicated immediately at the source. They were in Florida many years ago but were eradicated immediately at the source and didn't spread around the state. This time the mite spread throughout all of Pine Island and the island nursery trees and fruit were sold to various locations around the state before quarantine went into effect. Even if the department is willing to treat commercial groves there are other groves and homeowners trees they aren't treating. I think it's here to stay. Typical treatment is to spray sulfur each growth flush at proper intervals as the leaves mature.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk