Author Topic: Peaches and Plums in hot climates  (Read 3427 times)

Fygee

• Las Vegas Gardening Community Admin
    • Las Vegas, NV
    • View Profile
    • Las Vegas Gardening Community
Re: Peaches and Plums in hot climates
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2022, 01:13:19 PM »
Peaches, plums, apriums, pluots, and other stone fruit are, next to figs and pomegranates, the easiest fruits you can grow here in the extremely hot and dry Las Vegas desert.

Like others mentioned, you'll want to get varieties with very low chill hour requirements.
Continuing my journey to disprove those who say "You can't grow that in the desert" since 2013.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2022, 04:33:34 PM »
Peaches, plums, apriums, pluots, and other stone fruit are, next to figs and pomegranates, the easiest fruits you can grow here in the extremely hot and dry Las Vegas desert.

Like others mentioned, you'll want to get varieties with very low chill hour requirements.
Do you have to protect them from the sun at all?
John

Fygee

• Las Vegas Gardening Community Admin
    • Las Vegas, NV
    • View Profile
    • Las Vegas Gardening Community
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2022, 04:45:46 PM »
Nope, not at all, though it's ideal to plant them somewhere that gives them afternoon shade so they can get a small break from the worst of the sun.
Continuing my journey to disprove those who say "You can't grow that in the desert" since 2013.

Francis_Eric

• 40 miles west of Chicago Aurora IL ZONE 5
    • View Profile
    • https://myspace.com/undisclosedforthetime/
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2022, 03:10:37 AM »
You might find this information and this chart useful.  A chill hour is any hour under 45 degrees.
https://ruckscitrusnursery.com/products/low-chill-peaches/#:~:text=PEACH%20CHART%20%20%20%20VARIETY%20%20,%20%2082%20%208%20more%20rows%20
And here is plum information.  https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/publication/HS250  It includes a map of Florida that shows chill hours, but that may be changing due to climate change (?).

For plums that last link is good

Maybe not Florida but GA

https://m.facebook.com/groups/21070015101/?ref=group_header&view=permalink&id=10156869881585102

Southern plums
https://m.facebook.com/groups/199465123982820/?refid=18&ref=group_header&__tn__=%2AsH-R

happyhana

• Hana, Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2022, 11:32:44 PM »
‘Tropic Snow’ white peach was tops for me in Tucson, can take the heat but wants eastern exposure. Tempted to try in Hawaii.

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2022, 12:28:28 AM »
Nope, not at all, though it's ideal to plant them somewhere that gives them afternoon shade so they can get a small break from the worst of the sun.
Interesting.  I'd love to be able to grow all those fruits, but I'd sure miss our mangos!  I'd have to make friends with someone from Palm Springs/Coachella Valley to have the best of both worlds.
John

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2022, 09:32:21 AM »
‘Tropic Snow’ white peach was tops for me in Tucson, can take the heat but wants eastern exposure. Tempted to try in Hawaii.

20 odd years ago I met the guy who ran the test orchards for UF in Immokalee. Of all the varietes he grew and tested Tropic Snow was his favorite.

chrobrego

• USA, FL, Orlando, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2022, 09:23:45 PM »
I love my Scarlett Beauty hot weather plums here in Florida. They don't seem to be attacked by the Caribbean fruit fly either -- however, one year several got stung, but not since and it's pretty noticeable the damage that the maggots will do. I used to have twenty wonderful UF varieties but cut them all down due to heavy heavy maggots.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2022, 07:08:07 PM »
i grow that tropic snow peach.  it is a nice fruit but it seems to bruise and spoil faster than others unless you pick a little hard.  Also has a fair amount of acid for a white peach.  Most of the white peach and nectarine are sub acid sugar bombs.

my all time favorite peach here is August pride.  Its hands down the best one Im growing. 
Brad Spaugh

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2022, 08:19:47 PM »
my all time favorite peach here is August pride.  Its hands down the best one Im growing.
That one sounds like a winner, Brad.  https://www.davewilson.com/nurseries/products/fruit-trees/peach-yellow/august_pride/
John

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2022, 09:09:42 PM »
i grow that tropic snow peach.  it is a nice fruit but it seems to bruise and spoil faster than others unless you pick a little hard.  Also has a fair amount of acid for a white peach.  Most of the white peach and nectarine are sub acid sugar bombs.

We got an Eva's Pride once (which also scores very high in tastings). It probably produces amazing fruit, but unfortunately it did not survive long enough in Florida to fruit. The tree died of disease shortly into the second year. Maybe a better root stock would have helped? It was on Citation--everything we got on that died within 2-3 years. Now I call it Death Certificate. Lol!

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2022, 09:24:26 PM »
Citation is trash.  Deserves to die.  Sucks they even propogate it.  The peaches grow much stronger on nemaguard.  The Evas pride is ok but it is not as good as May pride or August pride.  Ive been top working over most of my stuff with those 2.  Mid pride and tropic snow I kept and evas pride but they are not as good.  Stark saturn peach is also nice and red barron. 
Brad Spaugh

happyhana

• Hana, Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2022, 08:19:23 PM »
August Pride has excellent flavor but in the low desert it would ripen unevenly, developing mealy sun spots. Tropic Snow is early and avoids the summer sun. And yes I prefer flavorful acidity, everyone has their balance point.

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2022, 08:47:12 PM »
I think that part of the deal is that the weather in California accentuates the acidity in a flavor profile. Florida's constant heat minimizes it. I know that is how it works with citrus. Florida weather makes better Tangelos California weather makes better Navels. I wouldn't be surprised if peaches worked the same way.

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2022, 11:03:04 PM »
I think that part of the deal is that the weather in California accentuates the acidity in a flavor profile. Florida's constant heat minimizes it. I know that is how it works with citrus. Florida weather makes better Tangelos California weather makes better Navels. I wouldn't be surprised if peaches worked the same way.
Also, maybe the soil is generally better in CA?  Inland parts of CA get blazing hot in the summer (but will cool off some at night).
« Last Edit: July 11, 2022, 11:05:45 PM by johnb51 »
John

happyhana

• Hana, Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2022, 01:33:59 PM »
I too have speculated if it more climatic or soil, leaning towards climate and nighttime temps. Tangelos in Hawaii are nearly perfect in every way but too acidic in Arizona despite ripening in April and May when it starts to cook. Opposite is true of navels, ones from Arizona are much better. Grapefruit in Hawaii and Arizona are equally great but for different reasons!

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2022, 03:15:49 PM »
Also, maybe the soil is generally better in CA?  Inland parts of CA get blazing hot in the summer (but will cool off some at night).

I think soil has an influence, but less than weather. Not all of Florida has trashy soil and some of our bedded groves here in Highlands are on sandy loam--which is suposedly one of the best there is. We also have groves on bedded muck--you can't get any richer soil. The fruit all tastes similar--actually ridge groves on pure sand tend to produce the highest quality fruit.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2022, 09:11:55 PM by Galatians522 »

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 13, 2022, 10:26:47 AM »
Good points, guys.
John

1rainman

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 16, 2022, 08:38:08 PM »
Here in southwest Florida we had low chill apples, plums and peaches. Peaches are the only one that did well. Very fast growing and productive. But Miami is too far south for them. it's also getting warmer here due to paving the woods over and global warming less chill hours than there used to be other than an occasional unusually cold year. Florida peaches are great.

The plum survived and got a couple plums but didn't grow or produce much in the heat. Apple never produced.

1rainman

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 16, 2022, 08:41:06 PM »
Florida peaches taste the same as Georgia or slightly better tasting but smaller in size. There's a lot of similar varieties like Florida king, Florida queen etc. Texture is about the same slightly softer. Florida farms grow them so you can buy them off the farm.

Elopez2027@aol.com

• USA, New York City
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 16, 2022, 10:47:03 PM »
RS, I like where this conversation might be headed. Bare with me as I fantasize about planting some Taiwanese stone fruit with only 28 hrs low chill. Your friend has to find a Nursery that has Grafted Sanyueli seedlings barefooted dormant in bulk with a permit to ship out and you need permit for receiving. Upon visiting he should report on quality of seedlings and check for any diseases on the roots. Your friend might have to visit a few nurseries as one might have higher standards than the other.  Negotiate price for like 300 BAREROOT seedlings. I think there would be interest for a low chill stone fruit or several types. Your friend should report on that also…..RS, a note, it will take some organization from you as you make the announcement for orders.
I might have left a few thinks out. Forgive me. I’m going to sleep with this fantasy.

RS

• Central FL, 9b/10a microclimate
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 17, 2022, 06:54:26 PM »
Elopez, do you have a seed fantasy? That'd probably be more feasible :)
There's no one on the forum in Taiwan?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk