Author Topic: Disease on Pitanga, Jabo, Blueberries?  (Read 742 times)

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
Disease on Pitanga, Jabo, Blueberries?
« on: January 10, 2020, 01:40:38 PM »
I’ve been seeing some unusual leaf spotting around my garden on several different plants. It has been around for awhile on some, and seems to be getting worse with winter. We also did have a pretty vicious hail storm and it came up on almost everything after - which makes me wonder if it’s just damage from getting beat with ice pellets.

Is this something to be worried about? Can anyone identify it? It’s not present on all the plants. Maybe just winter blues?

Jack, Nipomo

• San Luis Obispo County, CA zone 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Disease on Pitanga, Jabo, Blueberries?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2020, 03:23:59 PM »
We're an hour north of you, went and looked at my jaboticabas.  Don't see that effect on the leaves, but my surinam cherries (pitangas) have the same.  I would suspect it is a result of just older leaves getting ready to drop and be replaced by new growth. 

NateTheGreat

• SF Bay Area, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2020, 05:54:56 PM »
Looks in the range of normal to me. My blueberry and red jabo leaves get pretty bad-looking in the winter. My red jabo looks much worse than yours currently, but it will get new leaves in the spring. The purple coloration is due to anthocyanins, triggered by stress, probably cold.

Looks like the blueberry fruited in the fall then got cold damage on the fruits, but not sure. Also looks like the blueberry got a bit of damage from the sun. The only thing that concerns me a bit is the spots on the stems.

I don't know about the white splotches on the pitanga, maybe the leaves got wet in the sun, then the sun scorched those spots?

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2020, 09:47:45 PM »
I think Its from rain on the foliage when temperatures overnight are near freezing. 
Brad Spaugh

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk