Author Topic: Anyone growing cara cara (or other delicious orange) in South Florida?  (Read 2554 times)

savemejebus

• Coral Springs, FL
    • View Profile
Just about giving up on the pink lemon that I pulled from the ground and potted. Thinking of putting an orange in its place, just not sure what grows best down here (eating over juicing).

sugar land dave

• sugar land, tx Zone 9a
    • View Profile
Cara Cara is a nice orange.  A Satsuma mandarin isn't an orange, but tastes great.

PS:  Sorry I am in Texas, not Florida!

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
i think King mandarin is a good choice for FL
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Most citrus can be a pain in the a$$ to grow in South Florida.   It requires a lot of care for the results.  There are some oranges, tangerines and grapefruit that will do ok here but the quality will only be really rewarding if we get the needed chill hours to sweeten the flavors and bring the quality to where it should be.  For just one, I would recommend a Red Lime.  It has many qualities,  its a dwarf tree, very tasty juice, edible skin without the pith, and an overall very versatile fruit.
- Rob

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Is Red Lime the same as rangpur lime? 
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Is Red Lime the same as rangpur lime?
No, Red Lime is not a Rangpur.  It is a cross between a kumquat and a lime (there is a possibility the lime used was a Rangpur) but it is in no way a Rangpur.  It tastes like a fruit lime with a thin edible sweet tasting skin with no pith.  Come up to see me and I will let you sample it.
- Rob