Author Topic: Blood orange coloring up  (Read 2836 times)

Yorgos

• USA, Houston, Texas USDA zone 9a
    • View Profile
Blood orange coloring up
« on: December 23, 2014, 01:11:20 PM »
This is a pic of a Moro blood orange picked today.  Last year they were a pretty solid purple by Christmas. Last year it was a lot colder here on the Texas gulf coast than in has been this year (though we had a nice cold snap just before thanksgiving).  So maybe the color is subject to the weather variability from year to year.  The orange tastes pretty good.

Near NRG Stadium, Houston Texas. USDA zone 9a

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
Re: Blood orange coloring up
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2014, 08:25:27 AM »
By March of last year my Moro was an inky burgundy.  Sweet with a berry back flavor.  Kicker is that late cropping also prevented blossoming so this year - nada.

Give it a few months.

adriano2

• Croatia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2014, 03:53:36 AM »

upload gambar
these are first fruits on my moro. Stil far from red colour. The photo is 2 weeks old.

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2014, 07:57:35 AM »
Adriano2, are you sure you have enough annual heat units to get good performance?  You're at 43* to 47* latitude?

Good luck,
Mark

adriano2

• Croatia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2014, 08:29:45 AM »
43 parallel. I am not sure. This is all just in experimantal phase.  People here usually grow navels and valencias in their dooryards. I have  heard of people growing moro and tarocco. They need colder night temperatures to get color, but as well as all oranges, they also need warm weather to get sweet. I have them both with fruits on them, so in a month or 2, i will taste them. 

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2014, 08:50:23 AM »
http://www.mapsofworld.com/lat_long/croatia-lat-long.html

Miho satsuma should be a good match for your area.

adriano2

• Croatia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2014, 09:31:59 AM »
Thanks for the link. Satsuma is export fruit number one. These years yield is 80 000 tones of mandarins and few tousand tons of oranges and lemons. Unfortunately because of eu sanctiones against biggest buyer Russia, most of fruits is dumped in to the sea.

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2014, 09:54:43 AM »
Thanks for the link. Satsuma is export fruit number one. These years yield is 80 000 tones of mandarins and few tousand tons of oranges and lemons. Unfortunately because of eu sanctiones against biggest buyer Russia, most of fruits is dumped in to the sea.

That's awful. An investor needs to process those into a Blood Orange liqueur like Italy does.

adriano2

• Croatia
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2014, 10:21:33 AM »
Citrus industry here is not developed as is it in Italy. Italians will produce and sell everything. Here people just grow fruits to eat, but lately new generations are trying to be more inovative.