Author Topic: "Tangerine" ID  (Read 1117 times)

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
"Tangerine" ID
« on: May 07, 2020, 03:39:30 AM »
I will add photos, but I was hoping this one might be identifiable on description alone.

The mandarin was sold as a 'tangerine' at a local Japanese market, price 2.99/lb.

The shape is round nearly spherical, the skin is quite thick for a mandarin, and adheres well. The skin is leathery and deep orange/red. The oil glands leave the surface rough and pebbled. There is some pith. Some fruit showed what appeared to be a navel. I purchased it thinking it was supernova, just super late.

The aroma is tropical and striking. the flesh is soft and juicy. The pith is unfortunately quite bitter in the realm of grapefruit. The juice was somewhat sweet while being quite tart.

The fruit is seedless and had 10 segments.

Any ideas? I love the flavor, but hate the bitter taste. Might be worth soaking the peeled fruit in water to try to remove the bitterness.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
Re: "Tangerine" ID
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2020, 10:56:35 PM »
Oolie, I  don't have an answer to your post.  However I would like to clarify the word "tangerine".  Although the word tangerine is commonly used by people, it actually has no legal nor authorized meaning in citrus nomenclature.  The word tangerine came into common use early on, because the early mandarin shipments into the USA were imported from Tangiers, thus people called them tangerines. The word is probably here to stay in
 people's minds and will probably stay in use.

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2020, 04:00:58 AM »
Here's some pics

Flavor is similar to Jarritos Mandarina.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2020, 05:35:41 AM »
Tangerines are 'oranges of Tangiers" and Mandarin(e)s are 'Mandarin Oranges'. I think the word tangerine doesn't mean too much out of the US and what mandarins would qualify to be a tangerine? Brighter orange or seedlessness?