Author Topic: Grafting Question  (Read 859 times)

Piss P

• Washington DC (7b)
    • View Profile
Grafting Question
« on: August 21, 2021, 11:23:27 AM »
Hey All,

I'm back looking for advice again!

I have 3x USD 942 rootstalk plants (from Madison Citrus - I really recommend them) that are a little over 3ft tall

They are fairly uniform with all having about a 6mm diameter at 10in up from pot (wooded bark) and 4mm diameter on newer growth (green bark).

For these, I have scions that are 1-2mm diameter, ~4-6in long (think CCPP budwood samples size). My first question: where would be best to graft on the rootstalk? Graft towards the end on the new growth or cut the majority of the rootstock off and graft further down on the woody part?

My second question: what grafting methods do y'all recommend (specifically for this situation)? I have been practicing and was planning to do a modified cleft graft like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjNYr_O5NzQ&list=LL&index=4&t=397s&ab_channel=JSacadura
But I am wondering if I should try another method that can attach two small scions onto the larger rootstock.

Any and all advice is welcomed!

THANKS
pp

kumin

• USA PA 6b
    • View Profile
Re: Grafting Question
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2021, 01:50:06 PM »
Some grafting and budding methods won't initially require heading of the rootstock. T-budding, chip budding and bark flap grafts leave the entire rootstock intact until the bud/graft is forced. Cleft and similar grafts do require heading of the rootstock, however the higher the graft is done on the rootstock stem, the more rootstock will remain available for a retry in the event of a failed graft.

In the event of a failed graft on a low rootstock position, suckers should develop that can be thinned to a single stem and regrafted, typically after losing a season waiting for the new stem to mature to the point of being suitable for grafting.

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
Re: Grafting Question
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2021, 05:27:09 PM »
I am bad at grafting so I do multiple t-bud grafts on each rootstock.  If they don't take the rootstock you can try again.