Author Topic: Strange new branches  (Read 747 times)

Vlad

• Worcester, MA USDA zone 5b
    • View Profile
Strange new branches
« on: August 22, 2021, 10:16:23 PM »
I have a trifoliate that I rooted from a cuttings of an unknown roostock. It recently put out two branches with very long thorns. Other branches have small thorns. What is going on?

« Last Edit: August 22, 2021, 10:18:14 PM by Vlad »

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Strange new branches
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2021, 10:56:34 PM »
Occationally very vigorous growth reverts back to juvenile stage. It looks like that is what has happened.

pagnr

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2021, 04:37:36 AM »
Yes very vigorous, also the nodes are widely spaced on the long thorn shoots. Looks like the whole thing is stretched.

Vlad

• Worcester, MA USDA zone 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2021, 08:38:08 AM »
What would cause only two branches, and not the rest, to grow so quickly?

kumin

• USA PA 6b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2021, 09:04:22 AM »
My observation over the years has been that Poncirus and it's hybrids (perhaps Citrus as well) grow in at least 2 very distinct types of flushes:

1. The initial Spring flush pushes many buds, favoring the higher ones to a degree. This multi-bud growth tends to be lateral, approaching horizontal. Because this growth spurt is shared among many branches they individually tend to be shorter. If the tree is mature enough, next Spring's flower buds develop on this growth. If these twigs receive too much stimulation, they can bloom in the same year, known as "June bloom" although in can occur in June or July.

The next major flush occurs in late July or August and consists of fewer growing points and much more upright vigorous growth. If the rapidly growing shoots can't support their own weight they may arch over and fail to remain upright. It's these upright shoots that provide the following Spring's buds for the next season's short lateral growth, repeating the whole process.

I have never seen direct flowering on the late season, vigorous upright growing shoots.

Short lateral growth off of previous year's upright flush, commonly seen during Spring flush. segentrange top grafted on Poncirus.

Vigorous midsummer upright growth on 5* citrumelo.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2021, 11:26:25 AM by kumin »