Author Topic: What is this bug on my blood orange tree?  (Read 853 times)

jbclem

• USA, California, Topanga, 9b
    • View Profile
What is this bug on my blood orange tree?
« on: September 03, 2021, 04:11:34 AM »
Can anyone identify this bug, I just saw four of them on one leaf on a blood orange tree I have in a 15 gal container.  When I touched the leaf, they all ran to the underside of the leaf.  And when I wisked one of them into a plastic bag, the others seem to have dropped off the leaf and I couldn't find them anywhere...so they have a strong protective instinct.  I'm hoping they aren't a citrus specific pest.

As the photo shows, they are about 1/2" long, six legs, 2 feelers/antenna, and orange with black markings.  No obvious wings.

hornad

• USA, Washington, Bremerton, 8b
    • View Profile
Re: What is this bug on my blood orange tree?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2021, 02:35:07 PM »
It looks a lot like a Large Milkweed Bug https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Large_milkweed_bug

A very beautiful bug that isn't harmful to citrus.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2021, 02:38:13 PM by hornad »

Yorgos

• USA, Houston, Texas USDA zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2021, 05:16:18 PM »
Yup. A LMB
Near NRG Stadium, Houston Texas. USDA zone 9a

jbclem

• USA, California, Topanga, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2021, 03:14:13 AM »
Thanks for the id guys...a pretty bug that doesn't seem to do much that's harmful...it eats tropical milkweed seeds.  And I have some tropical milkweed that's been producing seeds lately, so they must have come for that.  Interestingly, the same tropical milkweed attracts orange aphids which are the prettiest looking aphids I've ever seen...although they are a pest and multiply too quickly on the milkweed stems.