Author Topic: Tarocco orange  (Read 1462 times)

AndrewAZ

• Scottsdale, AZ zone 9b
    • View Profile
Tarocco orange
« on: October 08, 2021, 10:59:09 PM »
My tarocco tree has 1 orange, it's first.  Not expecting anything to great from the first ever fruit.  But what is the proper time to pick and what should the fruit look like when it is ready.

Orto1978

• Sardinia 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Tarocco orange
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2021, 11:11:06 AM »
Hi Andrew,
Tarocco is a great heirloom variety. It is a favourite here in Sardegna where I live. Tipically in Southern Italy they start harvesting them around CHRISTMAS and they are at their best late January. The cold brings our more color in their flesh. THey will be a light almost Yellow orange on the skin when ready. They have a thin skin.

Good luck, they are my fovorite.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2021, 12:06:31 PM by Millet »

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2021, 03:29:52 PM »
UCR database shows it ripens from Dec-Feb. I have some grafted but no fruits on my branches this season.

https://citrusvariety.ucr.edu/citrus/thermal.html

Laaz

• Charleston, SC 9a
    • View Profile
    • Citrusgrowers forum
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2021, 06:37:10 PM »
I have the variegated form & it is ready just after Christmas.

AndrewAZ

• Scottsdale, AZ zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2021, 12:29:34 AM »
Thanks, guys.  I was really happy to see I have 2 fruit on it instead of one.  One of them is starting to yellow and the other is completely green.
Generally our coldest weather out here is in December, where it regularly goes into the low 40's to high 30's at night.  So, hopefully that will work well for coloration.   Not expecting it to taste great,  since it is the first crop, but still pretty stoked.  My first citrus fruit since I got 1 mandarin when I lived in VA in 2011.  I also found 1 Kisha.  So 3 fruit in 10 years?  I better pace myself.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2021, 04:31:33 PM »
Wow, 3 fruits in 10 yrs. I didn't know it was that difficult to grow citrus in AZ.
You will enjoy your fresh fruits, it seems to always tastes good from you own tree, even if it isn't super sweet. I like all of my fresh citrus fruits more than the ones from the store. Living in CA we are spoiled with the large clusters of fruits on the citrus trees. My Lane Late navel orange has about 40 large fruits now on one grafted branch.

AndrewAZ

• Scottsdale, AZ zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2021, 11:17:43 PM »
I moved to AZ in 2012.  In a townhouse and most of backyard is concrete.  Has to bust out concrete. Remove it, fix the soil and then started planting.  First planted owari Satsuma, which hasn't fruited yet, then Kisha, then blood orange.  Everything I planted was small, so, I guess just a long time to mature.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2021, 12:47:23 AM »
I noticed that Gold Nugget grows vigorously, and mainly upwards branches. My tree gets a lot of fruit (100) a year but it is in-ground. Also the Kyomi tangor and Ponkan are very productive tree with lots of fruits.