Author Topic: The Oregonian newspaper article on growing cold hardy citrus in the Pac NW  (Read 853 times)

Sunmicroman

• USA, Oregon, Gladstone, zone 8
    • View Profile
The Oregonian newspaper has an article about growing cold hardy citrus in the Pac NW. I have been involved with this hobby since 1994 (including growing other cold hardy exotics, such as palms and cacti/succulents). Nice to see they are recognizing and writing about this.

https://www.oregonlive.com/hg/2022/01/yes-you-can-grow-citrus-in-the-pacific-northwest-heres-how-to-get-started.html
Founder of the original "Hardy Palm & Subtropical Board" in 1997

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
I've visited the nursery on Sauvie island, which the article refers to. The owner tells me he can even grow Satsuma mandarins outside unprotected. Apparently because the island is located in the river surrounded on water on all sides.

I gave them some rare hardy citrus varieties that I was told they were testing in their grove. (Although the skeptical part of me worries they did not take very good care of them or pay much attention to them, and they may not still be alive, or they may have lost track of them)

Sunmicroman

• View Profile
That's really cool. I might have to visit the nursery on Sauvie island sometime. I wasn't aware of too many other people (or any at the time actually) trying to grow hardy citrus in the Pac NW when I started trying it myself back in '94. It's good to find out there were others around that time period too. There was a nursery I bought my first Morton Citrange from back in 1994 located in Molalla, OR. which was called "Northwoods Nursery" which I think One Green World is on offshoot of. There were mail order nurseries including one in Oregon called "Oregon Exotics" (no longer around) that had some cold hardy citrus offerings (but some felt they exaggerated the hardiness and/or edibility of the varieties they sold back then). Also, before the big onset of the internet, I did all of my cold hardy citrus research from Libraries. That's where I first found out about Citranges and PT (1993). After I started dabbling with the internet, I started the "Hardy Palm & Subtropical Board" (1997) and was able to correspond with others easier (much better than snail mail) and could collaborate on the subject better, as we do here. So it was great to find the recent Oregonian article and also find that there were some others who have been at this for a long time as well (Pac NW growers).

My interest actually started after moving up from Southern California in the '90s and having some banter with my ex father-in-law about the advantages of living up here. We were bantering again one time and he said to me "How many orange trees do you have growing in your yard?" and I thought, I wonder if there are any cold hardy orange trees? I started doing research and the rest is history as I caught the cold hardy citrus bug.

Anyway, I might give that nursery on Sauvie a visit. Sounds interesting. Thanks for the info.

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
That's really cool. I might have to visit the nursery on Sauvie island sometime. I wasn't aware of too many other people (or any at the time actually) trying to grow hardy citrus in the Pac NW when I started trying it myself back in '94.
Just to let you know, the Sauvie island nursery doesn't really "sell" hardy citrus. They specialize more in tropical-looking landscape ornamentals.
The owner might have a few citrus in his back private area if you personally ask him really nice. Last time I saw him, he is still trialing hardy citrus to see how it did. I don't think he has too many plants available to sell.
One Green World however has a few hardy citrus varieties. Not the best selection of things but they do have a few interesting things. They are a little pricey.
Many of the varieties they are trialing and experimenting with are not available for sale yet.

Sunmicroman

• View Profile
Not really interested in buying from him at the moment. Just would like to see what the guy on Sauvie island has and has been doing since I have for so long as well. More for sharing info on culture of plants.

Yes, very familiar with One Green World and have been buying plants from them for years (mainly in person and back in the 90s when the nursery was "Northwoods Nursery" in Molalla, OR. before they moved to the Portland area. Bought my first Morton Citrange from them back in '94).

Thanks for the info. Always appreciated.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2022, 01:52:37 PM by Sunmicroman »