Author Topic: Albino Eugenia beaurepairiana  (Read 972 times)

shmojojojo

• Southern California, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Albino Eugenia beaurepairiana
« on: January 21, 2023, 09:32:57 PM »
One of my e. beaurepairiana popped up albino. I've read the bad news about albino seedlings, but is there any way to save this? Anything I should try? I've only done low dose iron spray. The trunk is starting to harden, but it's fallen way behind the others in growth.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2023, 12:40:50 AM by shmojojojo »

pinkturtle

• LA county, CA Zone 10B
    • View Profile
Re: Albino Eugenia beaurepairiana
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2023, 09:37:03 PM »
Hi shmojojojo,

You got a variegated variety, ultra rare.  Maybe you can sell it for couple thousand.

Al

plantperson

• East Coast 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2023, 09:44:23 PM »
Unless it's nutrient deficiency, it's a goner... You could sell it for a lot, but you'd kinda be cheating people out of their money. However, try hanging on to it, as some all white plants turn green, or if you're really lucky, will get this gorgeous minty variegation... Grow it on, root some, sell for a ton... That would be best case scenario... Likely it'll die though... Unless it's actually yellow, then it could stay all variegated and have a shot.

shmojojojo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2023, 10:32:31 PM »
Hi shmojojojo,

You got a variegated variety, ultra rare.  Maybe you can sell it for couple thousand.

Al

Hey Al. I wish! I don't think it's going to survive. I read after the energy from the seed depletes, the plant dies because it can't photosynthesize. I also read they only survive a few weeks, but this seedling is about 5 months old. So I don't know... 

plantperson, yeah I figure it's a goner. But it is slightly yellowish and has survived longer than I thought it would. I might add some osmocote next

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2023, 10:59:18 PM »
Graft if you have rootstock-

woody cutting is probably best

pagnr

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2023, 11:52:19 PM »
I think there was a discussion on the Citrus section about feeding nutrient solutions to albino Citrus seedlings. This kept them going for a time but they didn't recover chlorophyll.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2023, 03:51:34 AM »
I grafted a yellow/white citrus from my lemon tree to a normal (green) leaf citrus tree and it is still growing and even had a few fruits in 2 yrs. I do have to protect it from direct sun during summer or it will burn very easily.

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2023, 10:17:53 AM »
You're a wizard as always Kaz

pinkturtle

• LA county, CA Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2023, 11:48:21 AM »
Wow, that is amazing Kaz

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2023, 12:45:54 PM »
Yes, I heard from many people on our forums that albino branches will not continue to grow so I wanted to experiment with them. I have 3 different albino branches that I have grafted and they have been growing for more than a few years, and they all had fruits (albino-yellow skin). I messed up on some of the grafts because I let them fruit when the graft was still not strong and ended up killing the entire graft which was growing well before the fruit grew. The citrus varieties that had albino branch were all different lemons.

My next challenge/experiment is to see if any variegated citrus seedling (except sour orange) will grow without dying out. I'm trying to grow out 5 different variegated varieties of seeds.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2023, 02:29:57 PM »
I found an albino seedling pomelo in my seed pots, I don't think it will stay alive more than a month, we will see.

pinkturtle

• LA county, CA Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2023, 02:39:36 PM »
Time will tell.

I am on a project hope to develop a new or better variety Ruby crispy guava.  I germinated over 150 seeds and few seedlings are different from the rest.  Hope for the best.

Al

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2023, 03:00:51 PM »
Al, good luck on the guava. I did buy a Crunchy Pink guava plant from ebay and the plant looks good so I hope it has fruits next year.

Here's the photo from the seller.

pinkturtle

• LA county, CA Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2023, 03:20:56 PM »
Here is a picture of the ruby crispy guava I germinated the seeds from.

I also brought a grafted 水蜜芭乐, don't know the English name of it, and I tried the fruit from the seller.  They are very good, similar to crystal but better
Al

shmojojojo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2023, 04:17:55 PM »
Hey Kaz, that's amazing! I'm not sure my eugenia will survive long enough to graft.

Pagnr, thanks for the head's up. I did search albino before I made this post and it was nothing but death.  I'll dig some more

tru

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2023, 04:50:26 PM »
I germinated all the seeds from a bag of clementines and got 2; one is pure white that I'm expecting to die any second, other has bright yellow leaves with the slightest tinge of green. pushed one set of leaves in 3-4 months : /
instagram @trumansacco

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2023, 05:54:15 PM »
shmojo, tru, I do notice that the ones with the yellow leaves seems to be stronger. I have never had any pure white colored leaf grow and survive for seeds or after grafting a mutated branch.

plantperson

• East Coast 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2023, 09:38:13 PM »
With albinos, I have two scenarios, I can say if it's meant to survive it will, or I can take the risk and graft and hope it eventually produces some green/white combo leaves... It just depends on your time and resources.