Author Topic: Seeds: Ximenia americana - The Apricot-Like Fruit Tree (very rare!), RESERVATION  (Read 1142 times)

huertasurbanas

• Junín, Argentina, zone 9b/9a
    • View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
Note: you can make your reservation now, shipments will be done by feb 20 or so.

For the first time, we have the honor of offering a very difficult to find Argentine species!: Ximenia americana, also known as Alvarillo del Campo or "damasquito serrano", is a small tree or bush. The tree is known for its resemblance to the apricot fruit in size, shape, color and taste. The fruit has a pleasant apricot-like flavor, making it a delicious addition to jams and preserves. In Cordoba, Argentina (where we got the fresh seeds from 3 different sources), this species is severely threatened by the human and is almost extinct.

The tree is known for its hardiness and ability to thrive in different environments, it is capable of growing in different soil types, and can tolerate drought and heat. This makes it a suitable tree for restoration and conservation efforts, especially in areas where water is scarce. The seeds are easy to germinate (soak for 4 days in water), and the tree is known to have medicinal properties. In addition, the tree's wood is fragrant and can be used for woodworking.

In conclusion, Ximenia americana is a unique and valuable tree species that is facing extinction in Argentina. Its seeds are an important resource for conservation and restoration efforts, and its fruit has potential for commercial use. The tree's beauty, its apricot-like flavor and its rusticity make it a valuable addition to any botanical garden or nature reserve. We strongly recommend the acquisition of Ximenia americana seeds for those interested in preserving this unique tree species.

More info:

* Fragrant wood and medicinal properties, the leaves are used for stomach ailments.
* Drought-tolerant and heat-resistant, can survive in harsh climates and conditions.
* Suitable for conservation and restoration projects, can help to re-establish native forests and habitats.
* Young leaves can be cooked as a vegetable, but should be cooked well to remove the cyanide content.
* It is a small tree, which makes it easy to grow in small gardens or backyards.
* It has a beautiful and delicate white flowers.
* Can be mistaken for a related species, Ximenia caffra, which can lead to confusion and misidentification.
* Young leaves contain cyanide and should be cooked thoroughly before consumption, consuming raw leaves can be dangerous.
* Endangered and difficult to find in the wild, it's population is decreasing and it's hard to find in nature
* Not widely cultivated or commercially available, making it difficult to find seed or plants for purchase.
* Unique and rare tree species, not commonly found in gardens or commercial cultivation.
* Edible fruit with apricot-like taste, can be used to make jams, jellies and other preserves.

Prices: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Ba0iLzeia6R2Wry1IZd8RABU25il08_JTFhH158nTmA/edit#gid=0

Price for 5 seeds: $18
Price for 10 seeds: $32
Price for 15 seeds: $46
Price for 20 seeds: $60
Price for 40 seeds: $110
Price for 50 seeds: $130
Price for 80 seeds: $190
Price for 100 seeds: $230

PM or mail me for reservations, marcospcmusica gmail.com, thanks

Growing advices:

When planting Ximenia americana, it is important to choose a location with well-draining soil and full sun exposure. The tree is drought-tolerant and heat-resistant, but it is important to provide consistent moisture during the first year of growth.

The tree is a slow grower and can take several years to reach maturity and begin bearing fruit. It is a good idea to fertilize the tree during the growing season with a balanced fertilizer, and prune it lightly to encourage branching and fruiting.

Ximenia americana is not widely cultivated or commercially available, so finding seed or plants may be difficult. However, to improve germination rates, it is recommended to soak the seeds for 4 days in water before planting. Also, it is possible to propagate the tree by stem cuttings, but it is important to use a rooting hormone and keep the cuttings in a warm and humid environment until roots form.

When harvesting the fruit, it is important to wait until it is fully ripe and has a deep orange or red color. The fruit can be eaten fresh or used to make jams, jellies, and preserves.

Overall, growing Ximenia americana requires patience and dedication, but it can be a unique addition to any garden or landscape. With proper care and attention, it can provide a delicious and fragrant fruit, and contribute to the conservation of this endangered tree species.

Fygee

• Las Vegas Gardening Community Admin
    • Las Vegas, NV
    • View Profile
    • Las Vegas Gardening Community
I'm intrigued, but is there any information on cold tolerance?

I'd love to try it since it's apparently tolerant of drought, heat, and different soil types, but if has low desert cold tolerance it may be difficult for me.
Continuing my journey to disprove those who say "You can't grow that in the desert" since 2013.

huertasurbanas

• Junín, Argentina, zone 9b/9a
    • View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
I'm intrigued, but is there any information on cold tolerance?

I'd love to try it since it's apparently tolerant of drought, heat, and different soil types, but if has low desert cold tolerance it may be difficult for me.

Hi, it grows here where it gets -6ºC at least! maybe more.

WizardsTree

• Hobe Sound, FL
    • View Profile
    • Wizard's Tree Nursery & Design
If this is the same Ximenia americana that grows here in Florida, it is a parasitic plant that lives mostly in scrub and the outskirts of disturbed hardwood forests. It has very intense spines, and the fruit has a period of about one day when it's ripe enough to eat. Otherwise, it's a mouth full of tannin. I get the hustle, but if someone needs seed in the US, it's literally in my backyard.