Author Topic: reduced quality from purchased plants  (Read 818 times)

incubator01

• Belgium, Central Europe
    • View Profile
reduced quality from purchased plants
« on: August 26, 2021, 01:31:59 PM »
So recently I bought a new Pursha lime and a kaffir lime to replace my old ones, from oscar tintori. Since they usually deliver very nice plants I was dissappointed when I found the pursha in a box with the fruit that fell off , rotting with mold, the leaves curled inside and looking sad, yellowish too (from overwatering), they sprayed the plant with something white dusty because I could wipe it with my fingers from the leaves.
Suffice to say I hope this one makes it because I found a whool lice on it when unboxing and have been treating it.

Then a kaffir lime with a branch that can't hold it's own weight, leaves that look "melted", even found aphids on them one week later, also having leaves that looked yellow and readily came loose.

For them they probably think it's no problem and these plants will get through it but with my misfortune, they're currently planted in a nice mix of 50% universal peat based potting soil, 10% pumice and 40% turface. Drains wonderfully fast and is well aerated. But if a new plant already starts losing leaves when I get it within the first week I get worried :(
Pot size is correct, the pursha was purchased in a 30cm diameter pot and is now in a 40cm diameter pot, they confirmed to me this was no problem. The kaffir is a smaller plant (sold in 22cm diameter pot and repotted into a 30cm pot)
Both plants have light colored healthy looking roots, I washed them out completely to get rid of the clay and garden soil with the hose and their pot size they were sold in was definitely getting too small.
now that autumn is coming, they'll enter hibernation mode soon so that is why I am worried :(

PS: terracotta pots have elevation, I put some rubber feet under them and a mesh over the drainage hole so water can flow away freely.

incubator01

• View Profile
Re: reduced quality from purchased plants
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2021, 12:07:59 PM »
worst part is that most of the pursha's leaves are already turning completely yellow and are falling off in large numbers.
I contacted oscar tintori about this but they stick to their claim they shipped the plant in good health and that the plant will recover.
As i see it withering and dying every day I no longer believe this and am very disappointed in this response.
This is also the first time I was sold such a badly taken care of plant but it does no credit to their reputation.

The other 2 kaffir lime's are stable, they only lost a few leaves that were in bad condition but nothing to be worried about, transplant stress is normal but not like what the pursha is going through.

pagnr

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2021, 08:11:19 PM »
How were they shipped to you, in their original pots, or barefoot packed in peat/ sawdust ???
Has the climate greatly and suddenly changed between the grow location and your place ??
If the plants were shipped and suffered shock, and then you repotted in new medium thats another shock.
I would give them time to resettle, maybe watch where you place them, i.e. not full sun all day.
The UV could be different, the night temp could be different ??
The original photos aren't too shocking to me.
I would give them time to resettle, maybe watch where you place them, i.e. not full sun all day.
I appreciate that this situation is disappointing.

incubator01

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2021, 03:31:54 AM »
It arrived in a rectangular cardboard box, the pot (30cm wide) was wrapped in plastic foil to preserve moisture in the soil, it arrived on time so shipping delays were not a contributing factor. It came out of the box this yellow, and had no broken branches.
It is in a shelter out of the wind, out of rain and out of sun, it was moderately watered in a well draining soil (mix of 50/50 peat based universal soil and turface) , the pot has additional drainage holes and feet for excellent water drainage, when watering it drips out already after 3 - 5 seconds. As tintori asked me to do I applied  fertilizer (liquid in this case, slow release once it every should stabilize). The liquid one is sunplant citrus which has no ballast salts.

But regardless they're trying to shove the responsibility in my shoes, and I don't like that.
Instead of receivigng this:

I now have this:

After a week and a half of arriving.

Their latest reply to this was:
"We saw your pictures. Pursha plants, with a little stress, can loose leaves and show signs of sufferings. In this case, transport and repotting can have brought to this situation but please let's wait a little. Prune the branches where needed and water when necessary.
In a short time you will see that plant will get better."

This is only valid for warm countries. As of now, Belgium's citrus will enter sleep mode soon, so no recovery is possible.
I'll do what he says but at this rate I've seen them dying over and over again.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2021, 04:09:31 AM by incubator01 »