Author Topic: Is it ok to use air layered mango plant as a rootstock?  (Read 1667 times)

Samu

• North Tustin, So. California, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
Is it ok to use air layered mango plant as a rootstock?
« on: October 08, 2014, 01:07:09 AM »
Hello friends,
A newbie here, glad to find this site, been reading a while and learn quite a lot; thank you!
And this is my first post; start with a question, please.

I have a 6 foot tall Manila mango as a result of air layering from a Home Depot's bought plant
some 3 years ago or so. The fruits that I tasted from this "parent's plant" (I have since planted
this in our daughter's back yard) didn't taste good  and has lots of fibers; no where near the store
bought ones. So, I just wonder if it is ok to graft scion(s) unto the air layered plant; or should
I buy another one and use it as a rootstock?
Sorry if this has been covered before in this forum, but I just can't find it.
Thanks! Sam.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 10:27:00 AM by Samu »
Sam

PltdWorld

• San Diego, CA 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Is it ok to use air layered mango plant as a rootstock?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2014, 01:56:32 AM »
The Manila seedlings grow quick and make good rootstock.

I think I remember a discussion about air layered plants not having strong root structure because they lack taproot.  Since you're unhappy with the Manila, wouldn't hurt to graft onto it - or use it as a seedling maker.

Samu

• North Tustin, So. California, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2014, 04:47:31 PM »
PW,

Yes, that's what I kind of worry also, "not having strong root structure because they lack taproot".
Thanks PW!
Sam

FrankDrebinOfFruits

• Kauai, HI 12A
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2014, 05:42:39 PM »
At the last HTFG Conference on Mauai, there was a discussion with Dr Yonemoto. His suggestion was the lack of taproot (and specifically, restricting the tap root growth) helps keep the tree smaller, when a tree has a taproot it tends to want to grow taller.

But, I talked to a friend, and his suggestion was while a taproot may help stabilize a tree, it also helps with water collection and during unintentional drought (when you forget to water or your system breaks down).

These are only theories....