Author Topic: i just found my first nom doc mai mangoes!!!!!  (Read 8303 times)

Osito

• Zone 10b
    • Long Beach, Ca
    • View Profile
i just found my first nom doc mai mangoes!!!!!
« on: November 05, 2014, 06:59:51 PM »

IM SO F#€KING EXCITED!!! Hahaha still firm, maybe 2-3 days till ripe.

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
Re: i just found my first nom doc mai mangoes!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2014, 07:12:10 PM »
Woooooooo!!! You mean you're not telling where you found this incredible bounty?

** Forum manners kind sir
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

Coconut

• Boca Raton Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2014, 07:13:42 PM »
Dont get so excited, I hope it is not the same supplier as Foodtown.  Sold 99 cent apiece, I cut open some rot in seed underneath and other were so sour of reminiscence of picking a fruit too green. I threw a dozen of these beauties under my Whitman fiberless to attract fruit flies And small beetles that lay larvares in them and pollinated my Annonas.  A perfectly NDM is a joy but these brought only tears of disappointment and the sense of your Mango welfare have been rob! ::)
The Biggest Fart in the Old West! 68 confirmed killed🔫💀

Osito

• Zone 10b
    • Long Beach, Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2014, 07:29:59 PM »
Omg of coarse! Tien phat produce 9291 bolsa ave Westminster ca 92683.
They only had Tommy Atkins displayed so I asked if they had any others and he came out with these from the back. He said they just got them in.

Osito

• Zone 10b
    • Long Beach, Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2014, 07:31:34 PM »
Hopefully not the same!! These were $22 for a case of nine. The case says they are from Ecuador.

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2014, 07:47:41 PM »
Don't know if these are ndm-gold but if so then they will have to become gold/yellow. Keep them close to some banana's to ripen more, not in the fridge.

wslau

• La Palma, CA, USA, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2014, 11:44:12 PM »
Hopefully not the same!! These were $22 for a case of nine. The case says they are from Ecuador.

I received a few of those NDM's from a friend.  They were good: moderately sweet, but lacked complexity.  There was a very slight floral scent near the skin.  Brix reading was 16.  Not sure if they were worth the price.
Warren

Osito

• Zone 10b
    • Long Beach, Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2014, 07:48:07 PM »
I have almost eaten all of then...... And they are pretty good. Not blown away but I'm sure they could be better. Texture was great! Flavor more complex than I have had which made up for the average sweetness. I will be buying more because the only other mangos I can find right now are Tommy Atkins.

wslau

• La Palma, CA, USA, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2014, 08:12:54 PM »
I have almost eaten all of then...... And they are pretty good. Not blown away but I'm sure they could be better. Texture was great! Flavor more complex than I have had which made up for the average sweetness. I will be buying more because the only other mangos I can find right now are Tommy Atkins.
Osito,
Another friend told me yesterday that the store will be getting more NDM's on Monday or Tuesday.  Enjoy!
Warren

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2014, 08:26:04 PM »
I ate my first one off the tree today....2 left... I think I nailed the ripeness as it was about 70 percent yellow/gold with the other half being  a blended green/yellow..

Just Wow! That Nam Doc Mai hit me in the face with an outstanding sweetness, very delicious. Not your typical sweet, yellow honey Mangos in the store by any means. Sure it lacks complexity as its only flavor profile is sweetness... But its damn good. Paper thin seed with incredible seed to flesh ration...Texture was very good, no fiber that I noticed that usually gets stuck in the teeth when eating common mangos. All I can think about is the other 2 ripening!!!

I was debating on digging this tree up and potting it....but It definitely earned its keep in my yard! I look forward to these sweet mangos for the rest of my life!
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2014, 09:09:38 PM »

Your ndm looks like the one on this pic. Normally the ndm-gold look more gold but not many people know about the green variety which also looks like on this pic.

http://www.tropicalfruitnursery.com/mango/nam-doc-mai-mango.shtml
So this is what americans call namdocmai, this must be the green one then because i don't see the gold. I would call this one "namdocmai si kew (or keo) which means green color. This is the sweetest one.

http://toptropicals.com/cgi-bin/store/store.cgi?first_mid=3137&NoPromoItem=1
And what is this one then? I see some red so some might even call this namdocmai-si daeng (red color)

Anyway,
This one is what Thai call the ndm-gold.

Well i give up, it is confusing me.
Also ndm does have fibres around the pit but it is called "completely fibreless".
« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 09:23:53 PM by bangkok »

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2014, 10:36:35 PM »

Your ndm looks like the one on this pic. Normally the ndm-gold look more gold but not many people know about the green variety which also looks like on this pic.

http://www.tropicalfruitnursery.com/mango/nam-doc-mai-mango.shtml
So this is what americans call namdocmai, this must be the green one then because i don't see the gold. I would call this one "namdocmai si kew (or keo) which means green color. This is the sweetest one.

http://toptropicals.com/cgi-bin/store/store.cgi?first_mid=3137&NoPromoItem=1
And what is this one then? I see some red so some might even call this namdocmai-si daeng (red color)

Anyway,
This one is what Thai call the ndm-gold.

Well i give up, it is confusing me.
Also ndm does have fibres around the pit but it is called "completely fibreless".

Pretty sure I got the gold...The yellow, was of a golden yellow color on my Nam Doc Mai...and it was incredible

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2014, 10:54:56 PM »
Well Clay then you know what to do the next time you enter Thailand, try the namdocmai's and durians but also don't forget the jackfruits. 8)

Samu

• North Tustin, So. California, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2014, 08:05:56 PM »
Since I never tasted Nam Doc Mai, I went to the store as listed above; and only bought
2 to sample.
While there, I also pick up of what looks like Cherimoya (no labelling) and Jack fruit.
The mangos are now in the fridge, can't wait to taste it after dinner...
Thanks for sharing the store address Osito!

Sam

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2014, 08:37:29 PM »
Well Clay then you know what to do the next time you enter Thailand, try the namdocmai's and durians but also don't forget the jackfruits. 8)

Durian and Mangosteen is on my list for Thailand...As for now.... I cant wait for my last 2 Nam Doc Mai to ripen on my tree...Those things are like sweet candy...That's the only thing I can think about right now.

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2014, 12:31:24 AM »

Durian and Mangosteen is on my list for Thailand...As for now.... I cant wait for my last 2 Nam Doc Mai to ripen on my tree...Those things are like sweet candy...That's the only thing I can think about right now.

Clay for a long time i was thinking that ndm is about the sweetest mango around but lately in Europe i ate many Osteens and Amelie and they are also sweet, a little less though (then thai-grown ndm) but they have more complicated flavous which i also like. Those are also harder and maybe a little more fibre but barely noticable.

How does ndm compare to the mango's you ate in California or overseas? I 'm just curious of which other mango's i should grow. I like sweet and complicated tangy flavours. If i only cared for sweet then i would grow Okrong. Maybe you see them in Thailand one day.

And are those new Zills variety's better then a ndm-gold in your opinion?

I 'm interested in anybody's opinion though, wether you like ndm or not. I just don't have the chance to try them myself.

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2014, 11:42:15 AM »

Clay for a long time i was thinking that ndm is about the sweetest mango around but lately in Europe i ate many Osteens and Amelie and they are also sweet, a little less though (then thai-grown ndm) but they have more complicated flavous which i also like. Those are also harder and maybe a little more fibre but barely noticable.

How does ndm compare to the mango's you ate in California or overseas? I 'm just curious of which other mango's i should grow. I like sweet and complicated tangy flavours. If i only cared for sweet then i would grow Okrong. Maybe you see them in Thailand one day.

And are those new Zills variety's better then a ndm-gold in your opinion?

I 'm interested in anybody's opinion though, wether you like ndm or not. I just don't have the chance to try them myself.

Bangkok

I would love to help you, but I'm not qualified to give you a good idea on what Mangos are the best. I've only tryed a few varieties.
Carrie, NDM, Pickering, Malika, and all the store bought Mangos which are pure crap not worth mentioning except for maybe the late season Keits. The mangos that I have tryed are from immature trees recently purchased this year which usually don't produce high quailty fruit. But I have to say the NDM is probably the best fruit I have tryed to date, Carrie was amazing too! they are both neck and neck with Carrie being a complex Mango that many people don't like.

The new Florida Mangos from Zill such as Lemon Zest and Coconut Cream, seem to be the best tasting Mangos according to many people here. I have quite a few Zill varieties myself that I cant wait to try when they mature. As for Now Bangkok, it seems NDM is no doubt a superstar in the Mango world, but it just doesnt compare to complex high end Mangos that are out there with incredible flavors.

With all that being said. Everyone also doesnt have the same taste preference which changes from person to person some times.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2014, 12:11:02 PM »
I ate my first one off the tree today....2 left... I think I nailed the ripeness as it was about 70 percent yellow/gold with the other half being  a blended green/yellow..

Just Wow! That Nam Doc Mai hit me in the face with an outstanding sweetness, very delicious. Not your typical sweet, yellow honey Mangos in the store by any means. Sure it lacks complexity as its only flavor profile is sweetness... But its damn good. Paper thin seed with incredible seed to flesh ration...Texture was very good, no fiber that I noticed that usually gets stuck in the teeth when eating common mangos. All I can think about is the other 2 ripening!!!

I was debating on digging this tree up and potting it....but It definitely earned its keep in my yard! I look forward to these sweet mangos for the rest of my life!

I was one of the guys who told you to wait. NDM is a solid back yard mango when you eat it at its optimum. Lets forget the store bought ones....My NDM got more complex as the NDM season progressed. From starting at a pretty much straight honey sweetness, by the end they were a more complex sweet with some tart and other dimensions, more like a "Florida" mango.

Backyard mangoes are where it is at!! Because you get to eat them at proper ripeness.  So if we say NDM is a 7 your other backyard mangoes will be even better. Its just a matter of time. Maybe three years before you really have to start giving some away.

Lastly I know via internet and a few emails this old Miami guy who had many different mango trees. He got rid of some perhaps because he was getting too old to maintain them.
He kept these three:
NDM for mid season mangoes
Gold Nugget for late
Glenn for early

Him keeping NDM said a lot to me. This is his blog http://togofcoralgables.blogspot.com/ but he has not posted in a while. He has an entry on ae-ae bananas too http://togofcoralgables.blogspot.com/2011/04/ae-ae-banana-on-left-now-living-at.html

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2014, 01:26:47 PM »

I was one of the guys who told you to wait. NDM is a solid back yard mango when you eat it at its optimum. Lets forget the store bought ones....My NDM got more complex as the NDM season progressed. From starting at a pretty much straight honey sweetness, by the end they were a more complex sweet with some tart and other dimensions, more like a "Florida" mango.

Backyard mangoes are where it is at!! Because you get to eat them at proper ripeness.  So if we say NDM is a 7 your other backyard mangoes will be even better. Its just a matter of time. Maybe three years before you really have to start giving some away.

Lastly I know via internet and a few emails this old Miami guy who had many different mango trees. He got rid of some perhaps because he was getting too old to maintain them.
He kept these three:
NDM for mid season mangoes
Gold Nugget for late
Glenn for early

Him keeping NDM said a lot to me. This is his blog http://togofcoralgables.blogspot.com/ but he has not posted in a while. He has an entry on ae-ae bananas too http://togofcoralgables.blogspot.com/2011/04/ae-ae-banana-on-left-now-living-at.html

Zands! Yep! I owe you big time... NDM definately deserves a spot in my yard....to think I almost dug it up......

GrassFlats

• Sanford Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2014, 04:38:26 PM »
Congrats Clay on ur first NDM!  I hope to have mine next summer.  My tree is about 4 years in the ground and is a great tree.  It is short with a rounded canopy with annual pruning.  Fingers crossed!

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2014, 05:20:46 PM »
Congrats Clay on ur first NDM!  I hope to have mine next summer.  My tree is about 4 years in the ground and is a great tree.  It is short with a rounded canopy with annual pruning.  Fingers crossed!

Grassflats

It's a winner forsure. I took Zands testimony a while back after seeing it get flack on the forum for just being an OK sweet Mango...

You will not be dissapointed! Flavor profile may lack complexity...but the NDM doesnt need it...The sweetness is not like your typical yellow mango found in the store. The NDM is the golden child of those Mangos. Extremely rich tasting sweetness that reminded me of candy, great flesh to seed ratio with a paper thin seed. Nice texture, no fiber that I noticed. I've been checking the last 2 mangos on my tree about every 10 minutes when I'm at the house....I need a Fix!

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2014, 05:25:33 PM »
....checking EVERY TEN MINUTES??????

;D

Ah....grasshopper....you are fun to watch....

Gary

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2014, 08:38:14 PM »
Clay i also wanted to warn you to not cull the ndm-tree but as i never tasted the american mango's i didn't do so.

It's the same here, homegrown mango's taste much better. The ndm fruits can be huge though on the markets, sure way bigger then homegrown ones and they look perfect because they have been wrapped  in paper while growing.

Yes Carrie also gets good ratings almost all the time and so do the new Zills variety's. I would love to taste those one day.

So the Thai are right in growing that much ndm mango's, actually it is the only very good mango availlable here. Not that the others are bad but they can't beat ndm. Well marketprices confirm that as well, ndm costs the most together with keo savoei which is eaten/sold green right now.

I also check my tree's every hour, i have some grafted scions flushing and want to make sure they are allright. Squirrels/birds/lizzards are not welcome here this month.

'

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2014, 10:12:43 PM »
Clay i also wanted to warn you to not cull the ndm-tree but as i never tasted the american mango's i didn't do so.

It's the same here, homegrown mango's taste much better. The ndm fruits can be huge though on the markets, sure way bigger then homegrown ones and they look perfect because they have been wrapped  in paper while growing.

Yes Carrie also gets good ratings almost all the time and so do the new Zills variety's. I would love to taste those one day.

So the Thai are right in growing that much ndm mango's, actually it is the only very good mango availlable here. Not that the others are bad but they can't beat ndm. Well marketprices confirm that as well, ndm costs the most together with keo savoei which is eaten/sold green right now.

I also check my tree's every hour, i have some grafted scions flushing and want to make sure they are allright. Squirrels/birds/lizzards are not welcome here this month.

'

I'm wondering which version I have. There is the standard NDM, and then the NDM #4 which is supposedly more compact in size... Supposedly the #4 is extremely prone to fruit split, None of my NDM fruit have shown this even though I only have/had 3 specimens to sample from....I'm wondering if its the regular... Because it did put on some outstanding growth for slow growing California standards.

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2014, 10:39:20 PM »

'

I'm wondering which version I have. There is the standard NDM, and then the NDM #4 which is supposedly more compact in size... Supposedly the #4 is extremely prone to fruit split, None of my NDM fruit have shown this even though I only have/had 3 specimens to sample from....I'm wondering if its the regular... Because it did put on some outstanding growth for slow growing California standards.

I don't know which ndm you grow, the ndm si thong will be very yellow/gold although i also see them with a hint of green on the skin. I guess they were picked a little early.

The ndm-si keo never gets a real yellow/golden color and is prone to split. This one tastes sweeter but i guess the reason that most farmers grow the golden one is because they split less or they prefer the golden color (Asians love gold).

I just grafted ndm-si thong  on my big ndm-si keo tree and hope it will have less split mango's. I don;t want to grow too much of the ndm-gold because i can easy buy them. The rest of the tree has to be full of red colored mango's, just for fun. Also i'm sure that if i give somebody a red mango i will get loads of ndm-gold back  ;)

I never ate the ndm-mun (crispy) but i think it's not so sweet because my friend has a tree of those and she hates sweet mango's like ndm-gold. (yes she is Thai and very picky).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk