Author Topic: Would a netting stop pollinators from reaching plants?  (Read 212 times)

onur

• NJ
    • View Profile
Would a netting stop pollinators from reaching plants?
« on: June 20, 2024, 12:05:02 AM »
Hi Everyone,

I covered my potted trees with a bird netting which has half an inch mesh size, to stop critters from destroying the plants and eating the fruits. But, i am just worried that it may also stop the pollinators from pollinating the flowers. Has anyone tried growing trees under netting? Would it be ok to keep the trees under netting at all times? Would it pose any issue? Any insight or feedback is appreciated.

Thank you.

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
Re: Would a netting stop pollinators from reaching plants?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2024, 12:34:22 AM »
You would need to know more about the specific pollinator, it would matter.

Calusa

• St Petersburg, Florida 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2024, 12:58:24 AM »
In my opinion the 1/2" netting you're using isn't going to stop any pollinators. I have a couple of citrus trees covered with netting fabric much finer than window screen, to prevent the citrus greening psyllids from getting in. These trees don't have any problem with blooming and setting fruit. It was explained to me by a Florida citrus grower that the wind does a pretty fair job of acting as a pollinator.

Fiddler

• Florida 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2024, 02:06:47 AM »
Personally, I stopped using bird netting years ago because all I ever seemed to achieve with it was killing blacksnakes. Each and every time I'd find some snake hopelessly entangled in the mesh, usually dead. On those rare occasions when I found a live one, I'd summon one of my braver neighbors to help me free it. He could either restrain the angry snake or man the scissors. Whichever job he chose was very helpful. This was never a one-man job!

onur

• NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2024, 02:23:26 PM »
Thank you all. I will just experiment and see...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk