Author Topic: Growing Mango trees in Southern California  (Read 180051 times)

CA Hockey

• Orange, CA 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Growing Mango trees in Southern California
« Reply #825 on: October 31, 2022, 12:24:38 AM »
It is OK to buy grafted trees. Yes the seedlings can grow faster but not always. My grafted lemon zest and grafted orange sherbet trees are beasts. Yes some seedlings (mainly monoembryonic seedlings) are as large but not nearly as branched and certainly have not yet brought the same type of joy as the grafted trees.

My strategy has been to plant seeds next to and surrounding the grafted trees. Originally I was going to inarch graft everything but I got lazy. Some grafted trees as mentioned have done very well. Others (juicy Peach) have been laggards. Orange essence, coconut cream, M4, and Phoenix grow very well too.

Pina colada seems to be slow regardless. However mine was already 3 years old from Florida when I bought it. It's about 5 ft tall but maybe 6 feet wide at this point with so much dense branching that it really looks like 2 or 3 dwarf trees. i would caution everyone to acknowledge that there are multiple paths to success. Yes seedlings are tried and true but you can still have success with turpentine (seems to be delayed in socal-I think more due to leggy growth exposing branches to sunburn, rot of these branches during winter, and subsequent decline).

I'm in orange in a valley between 2 hills and get about 400-500 chill hours per year and still get great growth on the mangos.

love_Tropic

• Tustin,CA, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: November 01, 2022, 06:56:01 PM »
Learning about soil types in SoCal.  Lots of information under " Map Unit Composition" know your area soil Clay, Sand, Ph....
Hope this helps. :)
https://casoilresource.lawr.ucdavis.edu/gmap/

Johnny Eat Fruit

• So. California, Huntington Beach. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: November 01, 2022, 07:33:30 PM »
I purchased my house over 30 years ago and knew from day one my native soil was heavy adobe clay. I feel anybody with average intelligence can determine the soil type fairly quickly by digging a hole.

The question is what are you going to do about it? Subtropical fruit trees prefer sandy-loam soil to maximize root growth in SoCal. Most newbie growers do nothing to amend their soil when planting a new tree if it is heavy or clay. If you are lucky and have good soil and good drainage consider yourself ahead of the game in growing sub-tropicals. All you need to do is plant and water. Downey, Pico Rivera, and Alhambra are all examples of areas with great natural soil.

Mango trees are difficult to grow as it is but when you add clay soil to the equation the task just became more challenging.

In my case, I remove one cubic yard of clay soil when planting each tree and replace it with purchased sandy-loam soil. Hole preparation is key if you have heavy soil. At the minimum amend the clay soil with 30% pumice to provide better drainage and root growth when planting a new tree if the native soil does not have good drainage. Most are not willing to do this as human nature dictates growing trees with the least amount of effort. Little effort equates to little results. 

Johnny

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: November 01, 2022, 08:26:21 PM »
Some areas in Southern California in particular will have layers of different sediment types throughout a yard. That said many housing developments are on backfill which could be sourced from a construction project miles away with completely different substrate. That said, I agree to an extent regarding sandy loams, as you get good drainage and excellent root development, but there are significant downsides to consider.
Gophers stay active in tunneling in silty or sandy loam soils long into the summer, with no apparent signs of activity above ground. In areas where clay composes higher percentages of the soil, the soil sets up much harder, also causing the stated issues regarding root penetration.
Additionally, the shallow clay soils particularly on very steep sloped hills can retain significant moisture throughout extended drought conditions. These benefits should not be overlooked, in addition, heavier soils allow nutrients to be retained, where looser soils often allow nutrients to be leached.

Becoming familiar with your particular growing environment should be considered as it will guide your decisions when setting up a grove.

love_Tropic

• Tustin,CA, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: November 17, 2022, 04:54:14 PM »
Hi all,
I have spots on my keitt tree after this rain 🌧️ what’s this…any suggestions?

love_Tropic

• Tustin,CA, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: November 20, 2022, 06:26:10 PM »
Hi all,
I have spots on my keitt tree after this rain 🌧️ what’s this…any suggestions?

Help please did neem oil spray but not helping much....  Any other "orgonic" suggestions ? can sulfur powder / spray help?   

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: November 20, 2022, 06:29:52 PM »
Hello, how about just leave it alone and let it grow?  Your plants dont always have to look pristine.  Getting a little cold damage this time of year is not a big deal.  It will grow again in 6 months from now. 
Brad Spaugh

greenerpasteur

• San Gabriel Valley, 10B, atemoya, wax jambu, seedless guava, mango, sapodilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: December 14, 2022, 09:57:42 PM »

I have 3 medium to large size mango. This one is in a greenhouse that's recently multi-grafted: Maha Channok, Brahm Kai Meu, Lemon Zest, Pim Saen Mun.

It's doing really well in a greenhouse. Flushing again.

This one is in 45 gallon I rescued it recently. It will be a Pickering.

Last one is Maha Channok, Keo Savoy, Cat Hoa Loc, Pickering, Sweet Tart.

Barbarian

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: February 28, 2023, 02:02:54 AM »
 So, long before I found this forum I planted a couple grafted mango trees. As many of you have experienced, they’re spending more time flowering than growing, and it’s terribly slow going. What’s done is done, and I’m going to keep them for now. But my nephew just expressed an interest in growing something from seed, so it seems to me we might as well try sprouting some mangoes.

I’m not too heavily invested in this: I don’t really have room for more trees (I’ll keep these in pots for a long while and maybe swap them out for my existing trees if they’re a roaring success), and I’d rather my nephew get to grow a seed from a fruit that he personally ate, so I’ll be doing this with whatever mystery variety Vons is currently stocking.

My question is what do you guys do to sprout mango seeds? The process seems to vary a lot depending on what website I’m looking at. Sorry if that’s been covered here, I checked the first ten pages and didn’t see anything.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: February 28, 2023, 09:38:22 AM »
I sprout seeds by removing the husk around the embryo. I then soak a couple paper towels and wring out most the water, leaving the towel just slightly moist. I wrap the embryo in the slightly moist paper towel and put it in two plastic zip lock bags and place on top of something warm. The embryo will generally sprout roots/shoots within 2 weeks depending on how warm it is.

Simon

Victoria Ave

• Riverside CA zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #835 on: February 28, 2023, 03:11:38 PM »
Has anyone else had issues with seeds molding? Been cleaning the seeds thoroughly and the media to sprout in and that has helped but still getting some black mold on the seeds. I’m germinating a bunch of NDM seeds right now and it’s looking pretty good a few weeks in but I have a few getting significantly moldy.

I hadn’t opened up my greenhouse and checked for over a week. I did before storms last week and saw my big beauty cocktail tree got roasted. Temps inside were getting into the 90s and I hadn’t been running irrigation because all the rain and I’m guessing soil had dried out because it was protected. Irrigated and I’m really hoping she bounces back

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: February 28, 2023, 06:50:47 PM »
Seed molding happens a lot when germinating, the weak seeds particularly succumb, as well as those irradiated and refrigerated.
That tree looks pretty crispy, but if you do a bark scrape test, you may be pleasantly surprised. Damage up top usually weakens a mango tree, but damage to the roots usually kills them ded.

Victoria Ave

• Riverside CA zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: March 01, 2023, 10:53:30 AM »
Yeah the rootstock is fine and it looks like the scions that got grafted are still good, just might have to push new growth below

love_Tropic

• Tustin,CA, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: March 01, 2023, 01:09:23 PM »
Hi all,
I am thinking about adding "Kesar mango" (along with Alphonso and Keitt ) can you please provide your experience? Is it a good productive for our SoCal conditions
thank you All :)

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: March 01, 2023, 01:17:52 PM »
As those are all monoembryonic types, I would plant a rootstock now and graft it with one of those types after it's three years old.

My Alphonse flowered way too much, and eventually died back to the ground (planted as a number 7 on Turpentine), Keitt is nearly the same, after repeated years of extreme flowering it is nearly back to a stump (planted as a number 15 on Manila).

I haven't planted Kesar yet, but I suspect it will flower similarly, so a rootstock must be fairly well established to continue growing through the 3-4 flowerings a tree will produce each year in socal.

love_Tropic

• Tustin,CA, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #840 on: March 02, 2023, 01:42:06 AM »
Had some observations on Moringa tree at my place and Brea… the tree grows much faster and healthier just little interior. May be because of the longer warmer/Hot weather. weatherspark.com provides the difference in conditions more on the visual side.
I think, it’s the reason for moringa doing so good just little inland. Maybe it could be true for Mangos too as they love much Warm/Hot conditions.

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: March 02, 2023, 02:32:41 AM »
Temps inside were getting into the 90s
Seed mold: someone suggested to soak the seeds in diluted bleach solution first.
Socal has been so cold, so how did you get 90 in the green house? With heater?

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #842 on: March 02, 2023, 02:41:12 AM »
As those are all monoembryonic types, I would plant a rootstock now and graft it with one of those types after it's three years old.

Does it care matching rootstock and scions with mono or poly?

I grafted Kesar and Alphonso on my unknow fruited rootstock; I have been eat Kesar the last few year, and Alphonso last year first time.They both have wonderful aroma but alphonso taste stronger sweeter. I like both. No Keitt for me -- too watery and nothing special. 

love_Tropic

• Tustin,CA, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #843 on: March 02, 2023, 02:55:19 AM »

I grafted Kesar and Alphonso on my unknow fruited rootstock; I have been eat Kesar the last few year, and Alphonso last year first time.They both have wonderful aroma but alphonso taste stronger sweeter. I like both. No Keitt for me -- too watery and nothing special.
Thanks! how old was your root stock at the time of Grafting?  have a Kent seedling around 1 year, thinking to graft after 2 or 3 yr.

Victoria Ave

• Riverside CA zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #844 on: March 02, 2023, 12:43:55 PM »
Temps inside were getting into the 90s
Seed mold: someone suggested to soak the seeds in diluted bleach solution first.
Socal has been so cold, so how did you get 90 in the green house? With heater?

The day I discovered the damage it was 62° out but was 86° in the sealed up greenhouse. The day before it had reached 68° so I assumed it went over 90°. The grafted tree got burnt, and one 3’ sweet tart seedling, and when I lifted that pot it was dry dry. I assume it was that heat and sun intensity and not cold because uncovered mango trees around my yard are not showing the same damage. Luckily the big grafted mango tree is somewhat shading the other mango and avocado seedlings and they didn’t seem affected. Though still thirsty

SHV

• Escondido, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #845 on: March 02, 2023, 12:48:15 PM »
If there was ever any question that we are growing mangos at the edge of the desired zone, this winter has been a cold reminder.  It’s been a long time since the forecast has been so consistently cold with rain, hail, and snow at low elevation.  Last night was mother nature’s climax with the lowest temp my property has recorded in 3 years (31F). Only the strongest will survive this winter. Wishing all you zone pushers the best over the coming weeks.

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #846 on: March 02, 2023, 06:03:36 PM »

What matters is the desired varieties to plant are all mono types, and therefore must be grafted to get a true-to-type plant.

You haven't had a Keitt picked at maturity, or a late season Keitt. It's a good one if the correct crop is picked correctly.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: March 02, 2023, 06:21:36 PM »
If there was ever any question that we are growing mangos at the edge of the desired zone, this winter has been a cold reminder.  It’s been a long time since the forecast has been so consistently cold with rain, hail, and snow at low elevation.  Last night was mother nature’s climax with the lowest temp my property has recorded in 3 years (31F). Only the strongest will survive this winter. Wishing all you zone pushers the best over the coming weeks.

34 here just for comparison.  I dont think theres much damage done.  The worst should be past and spring should be incoming now. 
Brad Spaugh

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #848 on: March 02, 2023, 06:31:05 PM »
We had some brutal weather here in SB with it hitting 31f at 8pm at my house (2200'), and staying that way all the way till 8am. I will be going around to friend's yards and seeing how their mangoes faired over the next few weeks.

As for mine, all the seedlings I had died. The two I have at work in town look battered, but not dead. They'll come back.

chemist323

• Los Angeles, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #849 on: March 07, 2023, 04:45:38 PM »
Update:
I posted in August 2022 about buying large Corriente trees for grafting in the future. I bought 2 trees and planted them at the end of October, since winters have been mild, short, and dry the last couple of years.  Well, weather was definitely a little different this year. I planted them at least 4inches above grade, added gypsum to hole, and made sure to loosen up roots prior to planting.   They are doing really well despite all the water and cold temps (zone 10b) with surprisingly no damage to leaves at all. They are now flowering and hoping to graft to them in summer time. 

« Last Edit: March 07, 2023, 04:48:30 PM by chemist323 »