Author Topic: Seedling Mango tree thread  (Read 27566 times)

SHV

• Escondido, CA
    • View Profile
Re: Seedling Mango tree thread
« Reply #200 on: September 24, 2022, 09:49:35 PM »
Nice tease Simon!  Can’t wait to hear the taste report on the Piña Colada seedling. That has been the one seed, seedling, budwood that has eluded me.  Hoping to get this variety in my orchard soon.

SHV

• Escondido, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: October 02, 2022, 04:40:42 PM »
Dasheri Seedling

First time this one has fruited for me and the last new seedling variety of the season.  The tree is 5 years old and was acquired from Exotica as a 1 year old seedling. The tree has always had dieback issues and not nearly as vigorous as other varieties I have planted.  Overall, it’s still growing at about 6 feet tall and spindly.  I let it hold two fruit that each weighed in at 20 ounces.  The flavor was not what I expect from a traditional Indian mango.  I thought it tasted like a fiberless Keitt with a very subtle Indian resin flavor and much denser flesh. Excellent balance of acid and sugar. A delicious mango in a class of its own compared to other Indian mango varieties I have sampled.  I will be taking budwood from this tree to graft onto more vigorous rootstock in case the parent tree eventually dies back completely.

FruitFool

• san diego, ca, USDA zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: October 02, 2022, 09:11:21 PM »
Hi, shv,

Fruit shape doesn’t resemble Dasheri but Dasheri has fiberless flesh.
You got some great seedlings.

Fruitfool

yimnvs

• USA, CA, San Leandro, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: October 08, 2022, 12:42:27 PM »
I have some mango seedlings in 1 and 1.5 gallon pots, should I mulch them or leave the soil bare?

People say mulching is good  but I see a lot of pictures on this thread showing seedlings in pots with no mulch so I would like to know if mango seedling in pots is an exception?

Thanks,
« Last Edit: October 08, 2022, 12:51:33 PM by yimnvs »

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: October 08, 2022, 02:22:57 PM »
I have some mango seedlings in 1 and 1.5 gallon pots, should I mulch them or leave the soil bare?

People say mulching is good  but I see a lot of pictures on this thread showing seedlings in pots with no mulch so I would like to know if mango seedling in pots is an exception?

Thanks,

No mulch in pot that size. Just make sure the soil covers all the roots and is not covering the trunk.

Going to graft some scions from seedlings onto established trees. Should be a fun experiment, see which fruits sooner.

yimnvs

• USA, CA, San Leandro, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: October 08, 2022, 02:53:59 PM »

Thanks,

No mulch in pot that size. Just make sure the soil covers all the roots and is not covering the trunk.

Going to graft some scions from seedlings onto established trees. Should be a fun experiment, see which fruits sooner.

Great thanks. Goodluck on your grafts.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: October 15, 2022, 04:36:40 PM »
This is a sweet tart seedling that looks a tastes just like sweet tarts.  These mangos are so good.  It's 4 or 5 years old.  It was a tree Simon planted here.  It made a lot of fruit this year and they are awesome tasting and the tree sets big clusters of fruit.  The tree is sagging from all the fruit is the only downer.

Brad Spaugh

Samu

• North Tustin, So. California, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: October 15, 2022, 05:17:03 PM »
 Wow, successful result from seedling! Thanks for sharing the news.
 I would rather have the problem of the good fruits sagging the tree
rather than having a shapely erect tree with hardly any fruits, Brad… :)
Sam

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #208 on: October 15, 2022, 06:13:04 PM »
Wow, successful result from seedling! Thanks for sharing the news.
 I would rather have the problem of the good fruits sagging the tree
rather than having a shapely erect tree with hardly any fruits, Brad… :)

True.  I am super happy with the fruit they taste awesome.  Everyone in the family agreed they were some of the best mangos we ever had.  I have some really large rootstock trees Ill probably top work some with this one.  I also have a real grafted sweet tart tree and the 2 fruit taste exactly the same and look exactly the same and both set big clusters that sag. 
Brad Spaugh

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #209 on: October 16, 2022, 11:43:48 PM »
Here's a seedling of providence mango.  It made a giant 2lb 4oz fruit.  The tree is 3-4 years old from seed.  Haven't cut the fruit yet.  I didn't know it was holding fruit this year, it just had the 1 giant piece of fruit and my kids found it. 

Brad Spaugh

SHV

• Escondido, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: October 17, 2022, 08:39:43 AM »
Wow Brad, that is a massive fruit for a tree that young!  I’m curious to hear if it kept enough of the parent genetics to remain an ‘improved Kent’.  Let us know how it tastes when ready.  I’ve been impressed how many of my monoembryonic seedlings have retained the favorable genetics of their parents. 
Regarding your Sweet Tart seedling, I still think this variety is one of the very best to grow in CA.  It consistently gets rave reviews, is versatile in harvest timing, and grows vigorously.  If seedlings give similar fruit, they should be in everyone’s yard. 

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: October 17, 2022, 09:37:56 AM »
Sweet Tart is polyembryonic, right?
John

JakeFruit

• Mod Emeritus
  • FL Gulf Coast Fruit Lover Spam Fighter
    • zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: October 17, 2022, 09:48:04 AM »
Sweet Tart is polyembryonic, right?
Yep

MasonG31

• Southern California Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: October 17, 2022, 11:30:48 AM »
This is a sweet tart seedling that looks a tastes just like sweet tarts.  These mangos are so good.  It's 4 or 5 years old.  It was a tree Simon planted here.  It made a lot of fruit this year and they are awesome tasting and the tree sets big clusters of fruit.  The tree is sagging from all the fruit is the only downer.

Beautiful fruit.  That's really awesome Brad.  Thanks for sharing. 

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #214 on: October 17, 2022, 09:16:53 PM »
Here's another one I cut for the first time today.  J12 seedling.  I'll try the J12 and providence once they soften up and let you know if they are any good.  This J12 seed tree grew super fast and the fruit are a decent size.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2022, 09:19:06 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

Amy K

• FL zone 8b
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: October 18, 2022, 11:15:49 AM »
Here's another one I cut for the first time today.  J12 seedling.  I'll try the J12 and providence once they soften up and let you know if they are any good.  This J12 seed tree grew super fast and the fruit are a decent size.

Wow, great size. I never heard of J12. Can't wait for update on taste and seed size

mangoba

• US - Mediterranean
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: October 18, 2022, 05:26:10 PM »
Impressive Brad! I wonder how much Indian spiciness this one will have, did it smell any muskiness?

When it's a variety you've never tried before, do you have a general rule for picking time?

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #217 on: February 20, 2023, 05:05:32 PM »
I bought some rootstock from Alex (squam) in 2017 when I was first starting to get serious about grafting.
From what I remember I think it was probably a seedling from his monster Edward trees.
I grafted Thai everbearing and z-0 to it and left the middle branches to grow.
I was excited to see the seedling branches flowering this year.
I'll report in and let you know how the fruit turns out.

mangoba

• US - Mediterranean
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: February 21, 2023, 09:24:26 AM »
I bought some rootstock from Alex (squam) in 2017 when I was first starting to get serious about grafting.
From what I remember I think it was probably a seedling from his monster Edward trees.
I grafted Thai everbearing and z-0 to it and left the middle branches to grow.
I was excited to see the seedling branches flowering this year.
I'll report in and let you know how the fruit turns out.

WOW, super long panicles. Is there any correlation between the colors of the panicle and the fruit?

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: February 21, 2023, 09:32:07 AM »
Nice tease Simon!  Can’t wait to hear the taste report on the Piña Colada seedling. That has been the one seed, seedling, budwood that has eluded me.  Hoping to get this variety in my orchard soon.

SHV, the Pina Colada seedling is most likely a clone but the fruit from last year tasted slightly different in that it was more sweet and didn’t have as much acid balance. I probably picked the fruit a bit too late, I will try harvesting the fruit a bit earlier to get more acidity. You’re welcome to a few scions if you’re interested.

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #220 on: February 21, 2023, 09:33:23 AM »

Hey Brad, do you remember how the J12 seedling fruit turned out? Was there any uneven ripening?

Simon

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #221 on: February 21, 2023, 04:32:48 PM »
Yes, we ate many of them.  It ripened fine and they were good but not great.  Just kind of boring flavor.  Not that sweet or strong tasting.  Just a classic taste and no fiber but lowish brix.  I plan to top work. 
Brad Spaugh

SHV

• Escondido, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: February 21, 2023, 07:22:50 PM »

SHV, the Pina Colada seedling is most likely a clone but the fruit from last year tasted slightly different in that it was more sweet and didn’t have as much acid balance. I probably picked the fruit a bit too late, I will try harvesting the fruit a bit earlier to get more acidity. You’re welcome to a few scions if you’re interested.

Thanks Simon, I might take you up on that offer later this season.  I can trade you some mangos or budwood from my select seedlings in exchange.

Honest Abe

• Biscayne Park, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: February 21, 2023, 09:20:46 PM »
Has anyone fruited a sugarloaf seedling yet?

I’m years away but interested if the tree itself has any traits different than the rootstock used at zills which I was under the impression is turpentine…

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #224 on: February 21, 2023, 09:58:21 PM »
I fruited a Sugarloaf (E4) seedling. See page 8 of this thread. Last year was the first year it fruited so I need to evaluate it some more but so far it seems like it’s a clone of the actual E4 with some very minor differences which may be attributed to the rootstock or environmental factors.

In my review, I compared the real E4 Fruit, which is grafted to my multigraft Turpentine rootstock tree to my Seedling E4 fruit that was grown and fruited on my E4 seedling tree. My multigraft E4 tree is in full sun but the graft is towards the lower branches so the leave’s around the graft don’t get as much sun as my E4 Seedling tree. My E4 seedling tree is right next to a fence and gets a lot of shading because the fence is South facing but the fruit were in the upper canopy of the tree where it got decent Sunlight which may explain why the real E4 skin color stayed green whereas my Seedlings E4 skin color changed to a mottled Yellow/brown. My E4 seedling fruit may have also been slightly sun burned.

Either way, I’m super happy with the fruit from my E4 seedling because it’s a relatively vigorous grower and its blooms are disease resistant.

I have two other E4 seedlings which should fruit this year or next. I would highly recommend people in Southern California try growing out some E4 seedlings.

Simon