Author Topic: any kadsura coccinea successfully planted ?  (Read 8860 times)

BloomAndSprout

• View Profile
Re: any kadsura coccinea successfully planted ?
« Reply #75 on: September 30, 2023, 08:43:18 AM »
Very good. I live in a forest, and if I can grow this fruit under dappled forest shade that would be fantastic. Even better if I can use existing trees as trellises/support and maximize my space as I have an undeveloped forest lot next to my improved lot. I don't see many people talking about actually eating this fruit or their plants bearing fruit yet is this very newly introduced to the west? Would be nice to get things like this and my feijoas in the ground. I'm guessing most people have seeds from tradewinds when they were available a year or so ago. I tend towards preferring the flavors of tropical fruits more than most temperate fruit trees (though melons and berries are nice). I'm also curious how well this will resist the forest critters.

There's a website selling this fruit plant with obnoxious branding and marketing. I'm sure you know the one, I won't mention them by name because I can't stand that stuff. From searching this forum I see they were on Etsy once but are no longer which is a poor sign.  Anyone know if they are actually legit or what kind of plants they are actually selling? I'd much rather buy from a complete stranger here than patronize a company that looks so skeevy so I'm more curious than anything.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2023, 08:46:06 AM by BloomAndSprout »

trellis

• USA, Upstate South Carolina, zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 14, 2024, 01:47:32 PM »
I came here to find out more about Kadsura.  I joined to tell member Bloom and Sprout, that a month ago I bought a male Kadsura japonica from Nurseries Caroliniana, nurcar dot com.  Even though it's not mentioned on their website, I've heard they will be closing due to retirement and they seem to be sold out of a lot of the plants, but they still have this Kadsura listed in the vine category.  This is an excellent nursery, but some folks think it is expensive.  I've bought a lot of exceptionally large and healthy plants from this nursery over the years, and would give this nursery the highest rating.   

There is another excellent nursery, Woodlanders dot com, from which I've bought many plants, and they sell the female Kadsura japonica Fukurin, but I often see this female available from several nurseries on the internet. 
« Last Edit: February 14, 2024, 01:51:05 PM by trellis »

agroventuresperu

• Peru, San Martin, Rioja, Zone 12, 950m elevation
    • View Profile
    • AgroVentures Peru
« Reply #77 on: February 15, 2024, 09:53:40 AM »
Very good. I live in a forest, and if I can grow this fruit under dappled forest shade that would be fantastic. Even better if I can use existing trees as trellises/support and maximize my space as I have an undeveloped forest lot next to my improved lot. I don't see many people talking about actually eating this fruit or their plants bearing fruit yet is this very newly introduced to the west? Would be nice to get things like this and my feijoas in the ground. I'm guessing most people have seeds from tradewinds when they were available a year or so ago. I tend towards preferring the flavors of tropical fruits more than most temperate fruit trees (though melons and berries are nice). I'm also curious how well this will resist the forest critters.

There's a website selling this fruit plant with obnoxious branding and marketing. I'm sure you know the one, I won't mention them by name because I can't stand that stuff. From searching this forum I see they were on Etsy once but are no longer which is a poor sign.  Anyone know if they are actually legit or what kind of plants they are actually selling? I'd much rather buy from a complete stranger here than patronize a company that looks so skeevy so I'm more curious than anything.

Are you talking about Wildlands Farm & Nursery?

agroventuresperu

• Peru, San Martin, Rioja, Zone 12, 950m elevation
    • View Profile
    • AgroVentures Peru
« Reply #78 on: February 15, 2024, 09:55:37 AM »
Very glad to see interest in this species and genus growing as well,

I got 25 Kadsura longipedunculata seeds from tradewindsfruit that will go into germination now.

Would love to get in line for some of those hybrids Ted, and thanks again for joining!

Any update elouicious? I also got a bunch from trade winds months ago with no luck.

I remember ordering from them about 15 years ago. Surprised they're still around. Great place to get fossilized seeds.

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 15, 2024, 10:26:22 AM »
I've just sent out over 2000 kadsura seeds to various people, so should see an update in the near future.
viable seeds I hope lol.

BloomAndSprout

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 16, 2024, 03:27:46 PM »
Very glad to see interest in this species and genus growing as well,

I got 25 Kadsura longipedunculata seeds from tradewindsfruit that will go into germination now.

Would love to get in line for some of those hybrids Ted, and thanks again for joining!

Any update elouicious? I also got a bunch from trade winds months ago with no luck.

I remember ordering from them about 15 years ago. Surprised they're still around. Great place to get fossilized seeds.

Honestly most stuff from TradeWinds has germinated for me and I've ordered many different things.

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 17, 2024, 01:30:29 PM »
you hope the seeds you sold are viable? eeek.  how old and cold were they?

I've just sent out over 2000 kadsura seeds to various people, so should see an update in the near future.
viable seeds I hope lol.

vnomonee

• Zone 7a northeastern NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 17, 2024, 02:31:19 PM »
My 10 seeds came from Etsy. They were pretty dry but still had least 50% germinate. They take a while though. Lost 3 to a weed wacker despite clearly labeling and marking the plants.

I still have 2 vines planted outside that are alive after 2 winters (this will be the 2nd winter). So far no damage to stem coldest has been 15f.

Jaboticaba45

• Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 17, 2024, 11:44:45 PM »
you hope the seeds you sold are viable? eeek.  how old and cold were they?

viable seeds I hope lol.
They were as fresh as I could get them. Every seed I crushed had a white viable kernel inside so that's why they got sent, not wrent lol.
I hope they sprout is what I meant to say lol. Each seed was viable.

SouthBayHapaJoe

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 18, 2024, 12:13:27 PM »
I cut a few of the seeds from Jabo45 and they were all viable with a white kernel.  Good luck with germination! They look better than the ones I bought on Etsy and those are starting to germinate.   I also am rooting a few cuttings to see if itís possible.  Hopefully we can start growing these and selecting best cultivars soon.  Thanks Ryan!

Iíve weirdly have more success with growing them in pots than in the ground.  They like morning sun and shade the rest of the day and seem to grow when itís cold and stunt in hot weather. 

nattyfroootz

• Santa Cruz California
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 18, 2024, 01:00:34 PM »
Thats the impression im getting too, with the boosting in cold weather and being stressed in the hottest times of the year.  I sold some to a guy who lives in the redwoods, an old clear cut that is second growth forest, and he has very rich soil. The plants are doing pretty amazing for him and he has multiple seedlings flowering. I think he'll probably be one of the first to fruit it in California. Seems like they enjoy the low intensity light up at his spot.  Wish I had more of that around my area.
Grow cooler fruits

www.wildlandsplants.com

Jaboticaba45

• Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 18, 2024, 01:32:19 PM »
I cut a few of the seeds from Jabo45 and they were all viable with a white kernel.  Good luck with germination! They look better than the ones I bought on Etsy and those are starting to germinate.   I also am rooting a few cuttings to see if itís possible.  Hopefully we can start growing these and selecting best cultivars soon.  Thanks Ryan!

Iíve weirdly have more success with growing them in pots than in the ground.  They like morning sun and shade the rest of the day and seem to grow when itís cold and stunt in hot weather. 

Glad to hear!
Your plants are looking great.
I have a few and they seem to be really solid.

Reedo

• Santa Cruz, CA - zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 21, 2024, 01:51:54 PM »
Thats the impression im getting too, with the boosting in cold weather and being stressed in the hottest times of the year.  I sold some to a guy who lives in the redwoods, an old clear cut that is second growth forest, and he has very rich soil. The plants are doing pretty amazing for him and he has multiple seedlings flowering. I think he'll probably be one of the first to fruit it in California. Seems like they enjoy the low intensity light up at his spot.  Wish I had more of that around my area.

I just visited his garden and his plants look better than ever. I don't think they recieve any direct sunlight. I can't figure out why mine languish so much. I probably am not getting them enough water.

vnomonee

• Zone 7a northeastern NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 22, 2024, 05:25:05 PM »
Here's the original vine I've been posting about, took these today. This will be the 2nd winter it survives.
I painted the vine to minimize winter sun damage.

The other plant I didn't look at is probably fine as well, it's in a shaded spot behind a fence. 

Healthy buds

Tiny bit of damage on the young tip

« Last Edit: February 22, 2024, 05:26:51 PM by vnomonee »