Author Topic: Yangmei (Morella/Myrica rubra) thread  (Read 56535 times)

shaneatwell

• California, San Diego, sunset 23 and 18
    • View Profile
Re: Yangmei (Morella/Myrica rubra) thread
« Reply #600 on: July 19, 2023, 10:57:51 PM »
No other yangmei as far as i know. Or myrica.
Shane

nattyfroootz

• Santa Cruz California
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: July 20, 2023, 10:00:48 AM »
My in ground Myrica rubra seedlings have a distinct talc-y coat on the new leaves. None of my grafted plants or Myrica esculenta are doing this.  Pretty cool to see. A defense mechanism to protect new growth from extreme sun exposure. Also looks totally beautiful

Grow cooler fruits

www.wildlandsplants.com

JCorte

• Laguna Beach and Fallbrook, CA, zone 10b/10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: July 20, 2023, 11:19:50 AM »
Nattyfrootz, I had similar growth on the new leaves of one of my grafted trees from China, but forget which one.  Agree it's beautiful.

Shane, thanks for the info on your seedling.

Janet

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: July 20, 2023, 11:01:18 PM »
Nice looking seedling Nate. I noticed my grafted trees also have that on the new growth whether itís Rubra, Cerifera or Californica rootstock.

Simon

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: July 20, 2023, 11:20:20 PM »
My in ground Myrica rubra seedlings have a distinct talc-y coat on the new leaves. None of my grafted plants or Myrica esculenta are doing this.  Pretty cool to see. A defense mechanism to protect new growth from extreme sun exposure. Also looks totally beautiful

My rose red tree also did that. I thought it could be on variety lol cause the new leaves were super red, but seems like rose red is describing the fruit, not the leaves, and it seems that other varieties do this also.
Thanks for sharing!

Kankan

• Fallbrook, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: July 23, 2023, 10:51:35 AM »
Thanks.

Where do you obtain the rootstock?  I'm in san diego.

Seng-Im in San Diego County and have a lot of rootstock. Mostly M Pensylvanica but also M. Cerifera and M. Californica...probably over 100 1-3 gallons if your interested PM me.

Kankan

• Fallbrook, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: July 23, 2023, 11:01:51 AM »
Seedling is quite old. From rtreid i believe germinated around the same time as the first yangmei group order. I put it in the ground feb 2016. The first fruit was nice, not as good as biqi itself but might get better. Was leaving others on but found two dropped or knocked off today. Fruit was a bit worse. No zing. Just picked the last and its lemony right off the tree. I think ill be happy with it. Kevin N also grafted two male branches on this year so crossing fingers for next year!

Interesting on the taste profile Shane! The fruits are definitely nice sized. This tree is huge and healthy, as soon as the male grafts take I think you'll have a ton of fruit from this tree alone.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: July 23, 2023, 05:18:41 PM »
Checking out several different cultivars as they endure the heat here in SoFL. Current weather station reading is 101.7F (45% humidity). Wunderground says 96F and Miami news shows high of 98F.

WuSu trees seems very happy.

Biqi trees seems very happy.

Late Biqi trees seems very happy.

All others (Ruansi, DK, White DK, Early Yingsi, An Hai, Early Mutants) are all doing okay, but maybe some mild signs of stress.

Yingsi seems most sensitive to the heat. New growth wilting, even though in shade.

All get some full sun, but not all day.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2023, 05:24:27 PM by roblack »

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #608 on: July 23, 2023, 07:27:06 PM »
Thanks.

Where do you obtain the rootstock?  I'm in san diego.

Seng-Im in San Diego County and have a lot of rootstock. Mostly M Pensylvanica but also M. Cerifera and M. Californica...probably over 100 1-3 gallons if your interested PM me.

Kankan, how are your grafts on Pennsylvanica? Out of the common rootstocks used, it appears that Pennsylvanica is the smallest rootstock when not grafted. This is just based off of botanical literature and I was wondering if this rootstock will grow slower or if it will dwarf the tree. Dwarfing the tree could be useful if trying to keep the canopy manageable since Yangmei can get quite large. Thanks in advance for any information!

Simon

Kankan

• Fallbrook, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: July 23, 2023, 09:43:29 PM »
Not sure I can tell yet. All my grafts on M. Pensylvanica were done this spring. I believe Marta Matvienko has fruited her yangmei on M. Pensylvanica and her trees grow well in Davis, CA. so that was my motivation for getting this root stock.  The only conclusion I've come to regarding grafting yangmei is I have had better luck with smaller diameter grafting (at least for cleft/V grafts) as opposed to 1/4" or larger diameter...and by better luck like %25 success rate, so not that great.

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: July 23, 2023, 11:22:59 PM »
Crystal appears to have settled in. It seems like each member has a different variety which bodes well for the future.

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: July 24, 2023, 06:14:25 PM »
Checking out several different cultivars as they endure the heat here in SoFL. Current weather station reading is 101.7F (45% humidity). Wunderground says 96F and Miami news shows high of 98F.

All others (Ruansi, DK, White DK, Early Yingsi, An Hai, Early Mutants) are all doing okay, but maybe some mild signs of stress.

Yingsi seems most sensitive to the heat. New growth wilting, even though in shade.

I wonder if the apparent differences are due to varying degrees of nematode resistance in the root stock?

RevivalR00ts

• US, CA, Corona, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: July 24, 2023, 09:12:06 PM »

In ground or containers?

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: July 24, 2023, 09:32:59 PM »
Here's another passage from Fairchild. If Myrica rubra is "Nagi", I wonder what was the "Yang mei" he referred to earlier?

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: July 25, 2023, 10:29:00 AM »

In ground or containers?

Biqis are in-ground. All others are in pots still. Going to put more in-ground soon.

Have noticed any todes hanging around or signs of them, so don't think that is an issue.

nattyfroootz

• Santa Cruz California
    • View Profile
« Reply #615 on: July 25, 2023, 10:42:38 AM »
Here's another passage from Fairchild. If Myrica rubra is "Nagi", I wonder what was the "Yang mei" he referred to earlier?

I believe Nagi is Myrica esculenta. A different species but very similar fruits AFAIK.  I have a couple of those plants as well.  I don't think nematodes are too prevalent in California and we may not see them manifest symptoms on our trees whereas in Florida you are more likely to see the todes.
Grow cooler fruits

www.wildlandsplants.com

nattyfroootz

• Santa Cruz California
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: August 02, 2023, 02:36:30 PM »
Has anybody tried removing the endocarp per Ronnie Demler's methods and not soaked in GA3?  I'm thinking of trying to remove the endocarp to speed up germination but not sure if the GA3 will be a requirement to break dormancy?
Grow cooler fruits

www.wildlandsplants.com

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: August 02, 2023, 02:55:40 PM »
Has anybody tried removing the endocarp per Ronnie Demler's methods and not soaked in GA3?  I'm thinking of trying to remove the endocarp to speed up germination but not sure if the GA3 will be a requirement to break dormancy?
About 10-25% of the seeds I got had small cracks in them I could pry open with my nails.
But I ended up selling all the seeds and not really planting them. I put a few in a zip lock bag damp paper towel method but they molded. Maybe could work as the seeds were already cold stratified?if not, Iíd assume ga3 or something else is needed to make them grow?

Kankan

• Fallbrook, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: August 03, 2023, 10:39:28 AM »

Ive removed the endocarp and used GA3. I've also removed it and not used GA3. In both cases mold was an issue...and I soaked them in a light bleach solution. Theres a good guide posted somewhere on this form on how to do it. I suspect my germination location was too warm...maybe.

I've had way better success just planting the seeds, endocarp and all, and letting them go through winter outside and sprout in late spring.

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: August 03, 2023, 01:18:47 PM »
I've had way better success just planting the seeds, endocarp and all, and letting them go through winter outside and sprout in late spring.

This is how I did it. The wait is painful, the mold is plentiful, and the risk for rodents to eat them is overwhelming... But it works.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: August 05, 2023, 11:03:27 PM »

Pneuma

• Dont Panic its Organic
    • 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: August 06, 2023, 12:59:57 PM »
Im going to try fresh seeds in moist vermiculite (I use acid water from a Kangen) kept in refrigerator for a month ? think thats long enough ? before placing in warm seed starting area ?

Cheers Yangmei Gang
"Flowers always make people better, happier and more helpful; they are sunshine, food and medicine for the soul.'
-Luther Burbank

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: August 06, 2023, 05:27:13 PM »

The rest of my yangmei grafts on the other branches of this californica all failed, so I decided to cut those all off. It's just crystal yangmei on the rootstock now... really hoping it doesn't get that random die back, but it's been a great performer in the ground and was growing robustly before I cut it back.

TXFruithunter

• HOUSTON
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: August 06, 2023, 07:18:45 PM »

Out of my 10s graft this spring, my worst and most terrible graft took on 1in leftover rootstock. It's a freaking marker-size scion and bigger than the rootstock. Yangmei lottery
Already at 3feets growth. 100f+ whole summer and it kept going nonstop
« Last Edit: August 06, 2023, 07:21:08 PM by TXFruithunter »

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #624 on: August 06, 2023, 08:33:10 PM »

Out of my 10s graft this spring, my worst and most terrible graft took on 1in leftover rootstock. It's a freaking marker-size scion and bigger than the rootstock. Yangmei lottery
Already at 3feets growth. 100f+ whole summer and it kept going nonstop

Congratulations! What variety did you graft? Iíd much rather have a successful graft thatís ugly than a beautiful graft that failed.

Simon