Author Topic: Last winter's cold affected my oranges.  (Read 595 times)

edweather

• Kingsland, GA Z9a, HZ9
    • View Profile
Last winter's cold affected my oranges.
« on: October 07, 2022, 12:04:08 PM »
We had two hard freezes last winter when the tree was blossoming. We protected as well as we could. Now I notice the oranges on our Hamlin tree are small, and alot are dropping. The only thing I can think of was the cold weather last winter. Is this possible?

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
Re: Last winter's cold affected my oranges.
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2022, 12:59:35 PM »
I think ive read that plants can have their vegetative or flower buds get halfway or slightly damaged by cold which doesnt prevent the bud from develloping further but the damage may show later on. I remember an article about figs in particular, they can have their buds damaged by cold which results in deformed or stunted new growth in spring.
Maybe something similar is going on with your orange

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2022, 08:56:28 PM »
We had two hard freezes last winter when the tree was blossoming. We protected as well as we could. Now I notice the oranges on our Hamlin tree are small, and alot are dropping. The only thing I can think of was the cold weather last winter. Is this possible?

How often do you water and how old are the trees? I would suspect a water issue over latent cold damage.

edweather

• Kingsland, GA Z9a, HZ9
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2022, 10:26:40 PM »
The tree is about 6 years old. Southeast Georgia is pretty wet most of the time, and well drained. We have a couple of dry periods every year, and I deep water on a regular basis at those times.