Author Topic: Post-Hurricane Blues  (Read 1703 times)

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
Post-Hurricane Blues
« on: October 10, 2022, 09:28:19 PM »
Still assessing damage here. Was in direct path. During the first part of the storm, I saw a Papaya had fallen. I went out and cut down my remaining 3 Waimanalo Papayas in hopes they will survive via side shoots.

During the Eye, I went out and assessed damages up till then and charged my phone in my car. The second part of the storm was much worse than the first.

My garden observations at this point:

Seedling Mangos fared far better than the grafted Mangos. All were recovering from freeze damage and severe pruning post freezes, and the grafted ones had lost a lot of limbs and leaves in the storm. My biggest grafted tree (~7' Pickering) was blown over. It's leaning on a PVC stake now in hopes it will be able to get a grip again one day.

Grafted Trompo Canistel (~6' tall) did really well.

Jackfruits did horrible. Expecting to lose a bunch. Had some smaller ones that were somehow protected, so there's hope I'll one day produce a Jackfruit.

A couple exposed Sugar Apples had a serious lean to them. I've straightened them out as best I could. Still have to straighten up the Soursops.

My two Barbados Cherries were knocked over. I've since uprighted them.

Loquats held on but were treated to standing water for a few days.

Asian and Native Persimmons did really well, though they got naked.

Mulberries are leaning. Native Red Mulberry was pushed over, but I've got it upright again.

All Eugenia species did well. The only one to lose limbs was the grafted Zill's Dark. The native Eugenia axillaris all look as though they're thinking, "Hurricane? What hurricane?"

Star of the show, but not a fruit tree, is my biggest Silk Floss Tree (~8' tall). Though she lost her leaves, she has no lean and looks strong as ever. Beautiful tree.

All the smaller (less than 2') seedlings did well (Sapodillas, Cinnamon Apples, Natal Plums, Black Sapote).

I'm curious to know how others' gardens fared.

It was a horrible storm and I'm sickened and saddened by what so many went through and must recover from.

Jagmanjoe

• USA, Florida, Lakeland, 9A
    • View Profile
Re: Post-Hurricane Blues
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2022, 07:47:01 AM »
So sorry for all you went through along with so many others.  We ended up with several mango trees down or leaning severely.  What I resorted to was purchasing some inexpensive ratchet tie down straps from Amazon.  Can be had at an inexpensive price at places like Harbor Freight.  I slipped the straps through pieces of old bicycle inner tube for where they are in contact with the tree.  Then I had some wooden stakes that I cut small notches in and hammered them into the ground.  The notches are to keep the strap material from slipping off and doesn't take much.

Using the ratchets for the straps, I am able to get the trees reasonably straight and then every few days continue tightening the straps to gradually finish getting them upright.

Just a thought and all the best to you and others in recovering from the hurricane.

Samu

• North Tustin, So. California, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2022, 11:18:34 AM »

Using the ratchets for the straps, I am able to get the trees reasonably straight and then every few days continue tightening the straps to gradually finish getting them upright.

Just a thought and all the best to you and others in recovering from the hurricane.

Yes, I've been using ratcheting straps also to straighten up trees (not caused by hurricane) in the manner you described, works very well.
Sam

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2022, 11:28:38 AM »
Sounds like you did okay fliptop, under the circumstances.

How far inland did the storm surge go? How far are you from the coast?

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2022, 12:20:16 PM »
Thanks for the tip, Jagmanjoe! I will try that on the fallen Pickering. A bunch of stuff here will just live with the "Ian Lean". I am trying to learn from my yard (and hopefully others) what did well and what didn't. Cleaning up the yard is helping my mood.

I definitely did better than most, roblack, and am grateful. I'm far enough away from the water to have avoided storm surge.

I can't imagine what people on Pine Island are going through. I'm grateful to have met shot and pineislander and the thought of their farms damaged as a result of this storm gives me a sick feeling. And of course concern for them and their families and all who are affected by this.

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2022, 04:13:34 PM »
So sorry for all you went through along with so many others.  We ended up with several mango trees down or leaning severely.  What I resorted to was purchasing some inexpensive ratchet tie down straps from Amazon.  Can be had at an inexpensive price at places like Harbor Freight.  I slipped the straps through pieces of old bicycle inner tube for where they are in contact with the tree.  Then I had some wooden stakes that I cut small notches in and hammered them into the ground.  The notches are to keep the strap material from slipping off and doesn't take much.

All of the above is fine but other options to help you get over the "Blues" a littles quicker as the "Blues" usually result from slow hot days of work.

My preferred puller is an old rear wheel drive truck/van. Tie straps around plant to be erected and go SLOWLY forward as 1 foot wheel movement will pull it up mighty fast and could pull it apart. (I do not like ratcheting nor buying them for one use). Also much easier using the foot on the gas pedal vs. ratcheting.

Most people do what you guys imply to do with fallen trees. I remember laughing after this guy said he was going home and chopping down his palms & coconut palms as he claimed they were too tall to erect again and replant them all. In his opinion, a palm tree not erect is not perfect and thus ugly...

IMO the prettiest palm trees are the ones that were knocked over at about 45 degree angles to the ground and allowed to grow 5 years or more. Then they are not only pretty but tell a story about the past history where it grew and the hurricane that knocked it over...  ;)

Beauty is truly in the eye of the beholder.

Most mango trees also grow with no problem with a lean as long as not leaning toward my house, I'm usually not concerned.

twotallgirls

• 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2022, 02:02:27 PM »

I feel the same way... We didn't get full force of wind but 3 feet of surge/flooding of saltwater that hung around for 12 hours.  Waiting for trucks to start picking up neighborhood piles of debris.  Ugh. 

Natives and palms did fine... Sea Grapes, Screwpine are good.  For some reason my flooded pineapples have no issues.  Bananas toppled, shredded, fallen so I cut most... but pups are coming up already.  My Royal Poinciana tree stripped of all leaves but already budding.

My avocado trees are shot. Mangos look awful, just dead leaves and sticks.  One toppled and had to be removed.   Waiting to see if they come back but looks like a loss.   Starfruit is just sticks but who knows.  Papayas snapped in half; watching.  Pepper vine, coffee plant, porterweed, etc. plus veggies in raised beds...dead. 

Things come back quickly in Florida so I'll know more in a few weeks... Come on mangoes!!

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2022, 02:52:23 PM »
Nature does come back quickly in Florida.  The manmade is going to take a long time.  Hopefully we can rebuild everything with more resilience and normally idyllic SW Florida is spared seeing such fury again.
John

dwfl

• Bokeelia
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2022, 08:52:19 AM »
Here on pine island, the farms on the island ridge of Bokeelia (the only natural ridge on the island and no flood zones) don't deal with storm surge in hurricanes, just strong wind and rain. That being said not much can take 155mph winds in such a slow moving storm without some damage. Some trees snapped at the base but the majority were stripped bare, toppled, or are leaning and will need to be pulled upright and braced.

Elsewhere on the island in surge prone areas like St James City there was storm surge and those were the hardest hit areas. Matlacha looks as if a big tsunami came through.

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2022, 12:35:28 PM »
Here on pine island, the farms on the island ridge of Bokeelia (the only natural ridge on the island and no flood zones) don't deal with storm surge in hurricanes, just strong wind and rain. That being said not much can take 155mph winds in such a slow moving storm without some damage. Some trees snapped at the base but the majority were stripped bare, toppled, or are leaning and will need to be pulled upright and braced.

Elsewhere on the island in surge prone areas like St James City there was storm surge and those were the hardest hit areas. Matlacha looks as if a big tsunami came through.
Thanks for update on Pine Island I wish you the best as you sort through the mess hopefully grow back will be sooner than later. Your being able to post is the best thin 'life is precious'

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2022, 08:22:53 PM »
Yes, thanks for the Pine Island update, dwfl. It sounds like you and shot and pineislander might be able to save some trees? Do you have power and interwebs and "safe" tap water there yet? I am hoping the best for you all out there. It's just unreal.

Thanks, palmcity, for the suggestion--unfortunately, there's no way I can get a vehicle by the fallen Pickering. It's still leaning on the PVC pipe till I'm able to create a better situation. It does have new leaves popping out, as do many of the remaining trees.

twotallgirls, 12 hours of salt water? Yikes. I'm rooting for your mangos and others. Definitely let us know how things turn out. Hopefully there will be positive surprises. My own experience regarding "wind tolerance" is largely different than what's suggested in Florida's Best Fruiting Plants book.

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2022, 05:45:50 PM »
When everything more important is situated and you guys are looking to rebuild collections let me know I'll send whatever I can scions, plants or seeds.
I have plenty of annonas scions I can offer

dwfl

• Bokeelia
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2022, 10:51:07 AM »
Shot is working hard trimming and pulling trees upright. He drove his tractor over and helped me get a few of my larger trees upright and braced. He went through Hurricane Charley here in 2004 (our last direct hit from a major hurricane) so he has good prior knowledge and experience. With a storm like this you kinda stand around for a few days just observing all the damage and preparing for the work ahead. Its easy to feel sorry for yourself and go into depression but that doesn't help. You have to prioritize tasks, get out there and start the work and that is what makes you feel better.

We've gotten a ton of rain since the storm passed which has kept the ground saturated and that makes pulling trees upright a little easier.

Water service is off and on but pretty low pressure, little more than a trickle. Boil water notice will be in effect for some time as they continue to find and fix water main breaks. Eventually we will get full pressure again once that work is complete. Power was restored just the other day but is fragile right now as we found out last night. Most of the island lost power last night from a lightning storm but it has just been restored a few minutes ago.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2022, 10:07:14 AM »
What does Road closed mean?
I'm not really sure anymore!
Doesn't mean ignore go around and go faster or maybe natural scenic route. Could it be a designated Tourist destination. I'm starting to think it is an area for discussion debate and argument. Is it just me or has anyone else observed this lunacy
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2022, 10:31:13 AM »
Doesn't mean ignore go around and go faster or maybe natural scenic route. Could it be a designated Tourist destination. I'm starting to think it is an area for discussion debate and argument. Is it just me or has anyone else observed this lunacy
??? ?
John

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2022, 11:47:55 AM »
??? ?
:blank:

Road Closed meaning::: Answers vary by individual reading sign:::
1st answer::: ??? ?  (aka WTF)
2nd answer choice:::  ::) Blue sky ahead... Roll eyes at workers
3rd:  :o How insulting this is my road
4th:    8) I'll never be recognized continue onward
5th:    ;) Liar
6th:    ;D Grin at workers
7th:       :-X Don't tell ... Lips sealed
8th:      :-* Kiss wave to workers
9th:     }:) Evil
10th:   Run Over Bovine
« Last Edit: October 18, 2022, 11:52:06 AM by palmcity »

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2022, 07:29:15 PM »

We had a road here that washed out after the hurricane. Our county Engineering department put up "road closed" signs and dumped a huge pile of sand behind in case people couldn't read. They wasted their time...people just drove over it anyway!  :o

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2022, 11:23:21 PM »

We had a road here that washed out after the hurricane. Our county Engineering department put up "road closed" signs and dumped a huge pile of sand behind in case people couldn't read. They wasted their time...people just drove over it anyway!  :o

I guess it could mean Grand opportunity to fill your Nursery pots
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry