Author Topic: Anthracnose keeps coming back. Should I simply dig up my Mango tree?  (Read 725 times)

Homeby5

• Key Largo, Florida
    • View Profile
Been fighting Anthracnose for two years with no fruit production on a seven year old Valencia Pride that used to produce good in South Florida (Key Largo). I've cut it all out several times and endlessly spray copper fungacide. Every few weeks it pops up again. Was told by a green thumb in neighborhood that I am fighting a losing battle and shoukd kill it and plant another tree because once it gets infected, it's a death sentence.
What do you guys think? If I do kill it can I replant in same area? My space for full sun is limited.

shot

• usa fl bokeelia 10
    • View Profile
Re: Anthracnose keeps coming back. Should I simply dig up my Mango tree?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2023, 11:45:38 AM »
Is it MBBS, most people live with Anthracnose in Florida.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2023, 05:23:59 PM »
How close are you to the water?

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2023, 05:37:31 PM »
Describe what happens a little more.
Does it flower?
If it does does it set fruit?
If it does do they get black and / or drop off ?

How about the leaves, describe the spots.

Also, if you are cutting the tree a lot, it might not have enough to flower and fruit. 

manfromyard

• USA, Ga, 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2023, 07:00:43 PM »
Been fighting Anthracnose for two years with no fruit production on a seven year old Valencia Pride that used to produce good in South Florida (Key Largo). I've cut it all out several times and endlessly spray copper fungacide. Every few weeks it pops up again. Was told by a green thumb in neighborhood that I am fighting a losing battle and shoukd kill it and plant another tree because once it gets infected, it's a death sentence.
What do you guys think? If I do kill it can I replant in same area? My space for full sun is limited.

Valencia Pride is very susceptible to anthracnose, according to the University of Florida. You should probably get a more resistant variety rather than to fight an uphill battle..
For resistance, they recommend one of the following Angie, Florigon, Edward, Vallenato, Carrie, Van Dyke, Parvin, Duncan, Raposa, Fairchild, Keitt, etc..

Better to start with a more resistant variety, then try more vulnerable ones after some success..

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2023, 09:29:31 PM »
Some pictures would be good. Or even if you have a link to a previous thread discussing this.

I would think growing near sea breeze would help prevent a lot of anthracnose. I planted a VP by my father's had and he 1 mile east of the Everglades and no anthracnose problems. Where as my Edward and cogshall a half mile away gets anthracnose. (Doesn't stop it from fruiting though)

I'm not sure what's going on but perhap the salinity in the soil is higher and that's stressing the tree. Don't have much exp with that though.

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2023, 09:44:54 PM »
VP wants to grow big.  Cutting it back a lot may have something to do with not fruiting.
If you share pictures or describe the symptoms a little, some of the gurus on the forum may be able to help/

Homeby5

• Key Largo, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2023, 03:27:54 PM »
Ok...answer to some questions.
Hasn't fruited in two years and it hasnt flowered either in two years. I assumed it was the disease. Here is a pic. I live near the saltwater as I live in the Keys. I have a Pickering right beside it that is fruiting. I have been cutting it back a lot but maybe I'll just let it grow from now on? Thanks.

Bobooshki

• Palm Bay
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2023, 04:48:53 AM »
Depending on when you are pruning it you may be part of the reason that it is not fruiting. I would say past August/September you don’t want to be pruning the tree or it will spur new growth rather than pushing flower buds.
Robert

CarolinaZone

• USA,NC,7B
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2023, 07:47:02 AM »
I'm not too good to say it. Use a systematic on it.

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2023, 11:44:42 AM »
That sort of does look like anthracnose on the leaves but my concern would be on its flowering.
Do the new flushes have the same issues?

Since its a VP I'd let it grow a bit, they typically can put on a good 6ft+ a year.
Apply some potassium and spray with a fungicide to be safe.

I'd give the tree two years and see if it returns to a nice healthy state with proper fertilization before cutting it.

boxturtle

• usa, ca. garden grove Orange County
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2023, 12:15:14 PM »
try adding agriculture sulfur dust to the copper the next time you spray

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2023, 04:45:21 PM »
I would chop it and look fora variety that tolerates salt spray well/better. Stress makes more susceptible to disease.