Author Topic: Eugenia Beaurepaireana looks like crap and Solanum Sibundoyense question  (Read 494 times)

kalan

• FL Broward Zone 10b southwest ranches
    • View Profile
Wondering if anyone has had success with E. Beaurepairana. I have an almost 3 year old seedling. It grows, but always looks like hell - yellowing leaves, some die back, some brown spots. I have tried heavy water, no water, part sun, filtered sun, shade, fert and no fert over the past couple years (maybe that's why it's so ugly?? LOL  :-\. Just can't get it to look like a responsible juvenile. Not a lot of info on it, so I have no idea about its preferences. Pictures below:

On another note, I have a couple small Solanum Sibundoyense seedlings. As a solanum species I was tempted to replant the seedling deeper in the soil (like you do with tomato plants to develop stronger roots). but it appears the plant may have a relatively "true" trunk as it matures. Thoughts? Anyone growing these successfully with some advice? Thanks in advance!

« Last Edit: December 15, 2023, 09:44:28 PM by kalan »

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
Re: Eugenia Beaurepaireana looks like crap and Solanum Sibundoyense question
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2023, 09:56:35 PM »
I have a few beaurepaireana seedlings that are a year old.  One has always been weak and shows nutrient deficiency, the other is better but still not perfect.  I wonder if these are just a bit more finicky than other types.  The Eugenias have always been pretty unpredictable for me and random decline isn't uncommon.

The weak one is just starting to put out new growth.  I had fertilized it a few months ago when I noticed the leaf deficiency, I guess I will find out soon enough if the new leaves are normal or show same issue.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2023, 10:12:08 PM by brian »

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2023, 10:31:36 AM »
I was having some of the same issues with my E. Beaurepairana
I ended up moving it off the lanai that was getting 4 hours of filtered morning sun to
my porch which only gets indirect light. I also gave it chelated iron a couple times
and it looks better. I am going to up pot it to a 7 gallon and start giving it some
sunlight soon

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2023, 10:34:44 AM »
Reminds me of e. arrabidae, which I can't seem to make happy. Almost all the other cousins look good to great.

kalan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2023, 12:14:11 PM »
I have a few beaurepaireana seedlings that are a year old.  One has always been weak and shows nutrient deficiency, the other is better but still not perfect.  I wonder if these are just a bit more finicky than other types.  The Eugenias have always been pretty unpredictable for me and random decline isn't uncommon.

The weak one is just starting to put out new growth.  I had fertilized it a few months ago when I noticed the leaf deficiency, I guess I will find out soon enough if the new leaves are normal or show same issue.

Those plants look really healthy in comparison.

kalan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2023, 12:17:14 PM »
I was having some of the same issues with my E. Beaurepairana
I ended up moving it off the lanai that was getting 4 hours of filtered morning sun to
my porch which only gets indirect light. I also gave it chelated iron a couple times
and it looks better. I am going to up pot it to a 7 gallon and start giving it some
sunlight soon

Gave mine a chelated drench this summer but saw no real improvement. Maybe I need to do it again.

NateTheGreat

• SF Bay Area, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2023, 12:41:22 PM »
Mine are healthy, but they're the non-wavy-leaf ones. It's a bit suspicious tbh, they look like a different species. They look like E. myrcianthes, with more elongated leaves, and more silvery new growth. They had some dieback when young until I put them all in full sun, no issues since. I think they want full sun basically from the time they sprout.

Giant Gecko

• USA,NC,Welcome,7
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2023, 01:42:15 PM »
Mine are healthy, but they're the non-wavy-leaf ones. It's a bit suspicious tbh, they look like a different species. They look like E. myrcianthes, with more elongated leaves, and more silvery new growth. They had some dieback when young until I put them all in full sun, no issues since. I think they want full sun basically from the time they sprout.

Hi Nate,

You arenít the only one that said theirs did better under full sun. https://m.facebook.com/search_results/?q=Eugenia+beaurepairiana+Wavy Also in this discussion is the information that there are 2 vars of this species, one with a wavy leaf called rugosa and a regular leaf variety.

Giant Gecko

• USA,NC,Welcome,7
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2023, 01:56:37 PM »
Wondering if anyone has had success with E. Beaurepairana. I have an almost 3 year old seedling. It grows, but always looks like hell - yellowing leaves, some die back, some brown spots. I have tried heavy water, no water, part sun, filtered sun, shade, fert and no fert over the past couple years (maybe that's why it's so ugly?? LOL  :-\. Just can't get it to look like a responsible juvenile. Not a lot of info on it, so I have no idea about its preferences. Pictures below:

What kind of water do you give it, rainwater, well or tap? Also what is in the potting mix?

kalan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2023, 02:23:51 PM »

What kind of water do you give it, rainwater, well or tap? Also what is in the potting mix?

rain and ocassionally well water.

kalan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2023, 02:26:03 PM »

Interesting. I never put it in south Florida full summer sun - most young plants can't take it, so I avoided it. Maybe this has been my issue all along?
« Last Edit: December 16, 2023, 05:51:43 PM by kalan »

NateTheGreat

• SF Bay Area, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2023, 02:42:50 PM »

Hi Nate,

You arenít the only one that said theirs did better under full sun. https://m.facebook.com/search_results/?q=Eugenia+beaurepairiana+Wavy Also in this discussion is the information that there are 2 vars of this species, one with a wavy leaf called rugosa and a regular leaf variety.
Yeah that was me lol. At first it was just a few of them, but the ones I tried to baby by putting in the shade did worse. They really wilt on hot summer days, but no damage.

Idk, I hope mine are the real deal, but they really don't look like the same species as what y'all have been posting. Sorry, not sure how to resize the image:

Giant Gecko

• USA,NC,Welcome,7
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2023, 05:42:59 PM »

[/quote]
Yeah that was me lol. At first it was just a few of them, but the ones I tried to baby by putting in the shade did worse. They really wilt on hot summer days, but no damage.

Idk, I hope mine are the real deal, but they really don't look like the same species as what y'all have been posting. Sorry, not sure how to resize the image:

[/quote]

😂 Well youíre the only one that said their seedlings are doing better in full sun. I had a Eugenia ternatifolia, E.beaurepaireana is supposed to be a synonym of that species. That seedling needed a lot of water in the heat of Summer here in NC I would water in the morning and it would wilt over around 2PM. Seemed to do well after I moved it to shade during around noon. There is a lot of leaf variation with this species so hard to say for sure with yours.