Author Topic: Want to buy Del Rio/Pryor Avocado tree (any roots)  (Read 732 times)

sfbay-southfacingslope10a

• Oakland, CA
    • View Profile
Want to buy Del Rio/Pryor Avocado tree (any roots)
« on: October 06, 2023, 04:41:25 PM »
I'm really interested in growing Del Rio avocado to eventually grow cold-tolerant rootstock seedlings. Does anyone know where to get one in California? Thanks!

drymifolia

• Seattle 9a/sunset zone 5
    • View Profile
    • the drymifolia collective
Re: Want to buy Del Rio/Pryor Avocado tree (any roots)
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2023, 05:11:30 PM »
I'm really interested in growing Del Rio avocado to eventually grow cold-tolerant rootstock seedlings. Does anyone know where to get one in California? Thanks!

Since Del Rio was found in Texas and has mostly been popularized in Florida, both of which are areas where you generally cannot import avocado plant material to CA from, I suspect you'll struggle to find a source that's able to ship to you.

Since WA doesn't restrict the import of avocado plant material, I got my scionwood from Craig Hepworth in FL, who got it originally directly from Bill Schneider (the person who identified the ortet and first propagated it in the nursery trade). It is not necessarily the case that Pryor is the same exact cultivar, it may be a seedling of Del Rio that is similar in phenotype.  People say they are the same based on phenotype, I'm not sure that Bill ever explicitly said they were the same. I believe he used Del Rio as part of his breeding stock for many of the varieties he released.

I think you're better off getting scionwood from the Duke tree in the old Oroville train station, and using those seedlings as rootstocks. Or just going there to collect seeds! They should be ripe around now or very soon. I've been very happy with their vigor and stocky growth habit. And their cold tolerance, as well, of course. I had one that only had slight dieback last winter when it was barely a year from seed and experienced 17F with just an upside down flower pot for protection.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2023, 05:22:42 PM by drymifolia »

sfbay-southfacingslope10a

• Oakland, CA
    • View Profile
Re: Want to buy Del Rio/Pryor Avocado tree (any roots)
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2023, 08:44:23 PM »
I found scions at Fruitwood nursery in Humboldt County CA and trees for the Del Rio at Planting Justice right near me in Oakland. Unfortunately both are out of stock but at least I have leads! Thank you for the recommendation on the Orroville tree!