Author Topic: My Cambuca (Plinia edulis) tree!  (Read 47587 times)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: My Cambuca (Plinia edulis) tree!
« Reply #50 on: December 12, 2013, 08:39:14 PM »
Adam, those fruiting times are wrong, at least for the cambucas i have and in this climate. One fruited in about 12 years the other one in 8. The one that took 12 was in too much shade and as soon as i pruned a tree that was shading it it started fruiting. The one that fruited in 8 went into sunlight right away. Lesson learned they grow and fruit a lot faster in full sun. I just keep them in partial shade when very little in the nursery.
Oscar

kgknight

• southeast florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 12, 2013, 08:40:08 PM »
Rock, they are looking very good! How many cambuca trees did you plant in the ground?

Thank you Oscar, I did not count them precisely  about 300 ones.
I also keep hundreds of cambuca in container,those ones will also be planted in my farm, will show photos latter.

I think with that many trees you might be defacto subject matter expert on cambuca, very impressive.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #52 on: December 12, 2013, 08:43:54 PM »
Rock, they are looking very good! How many cambuca trees did you plant in the ground?

I also keep hundreds of cambuca in container,those ones will also be planted in my farm, will show photos latter.

I think with that many trees you might be defacto subject matter expert on cambuca, very impressive.

Not yet. But maybe very soon. Rock please keep good records on time it takes trees to fruit and pounds of fruit that you harvest, etc.
Oscar

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #53 on: December 12, 2013, 08:45:01 PM »
Adam, those fruiting times are wrong, at least for the cambucas i have and in this climate. One fruited in about 12 years the other one in 8. The one that took 12 was in too much shade and as soon as i pruned a tree that was shading it it started fruiting. The one that fruited in 8 went into sunlight right away. Lesson learned they grow and fruit a lot faster in full sun. I just keep them in partial shade when very little in the nursery.

ok Oscar that's encouraging...the ones here in FL all seem to take 20yrs or more!

I've got mine in pots, in full sun...so I will keep u posted!  I think you maybe right...we can fruit them faster.

im hoping the other type I have fruits even faster!
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #54 on: December 12, 2013, 08:50:07 PM »

ok Oscar that's encouraging...the ones here in FL all seem to take 20yrs or more!

I've got mine in pots, in full sun...so I will keep u posted!  I think you maybe right...we can fruit them faster.

I would guess you could cut fruiting time down to 10 or less years in your climate.
Neat thing about Rock planting 300 trees is that there should be quite a bit of variation. Some will fruit faster than others and have better fruit, and those can be watched and propagated.
Oscar

fruithunter

• Taiwan
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 14, 2013, 07:20:32 AM »

kgknight,
Although owning those cambuca trees, I'm not an expert at all. In fact, I'm still learning how to grow cambuca well. I have experience growing jaboticaba so I regard them as jaboticaba, and it's not in bad condition so far.
Rock

fruithunter

• Taiwan
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 14, 2013, 07:39:34 AM »

I would guess you could cut fruiting time down to 10 or less years in your climate.
Neat thing about Rock planting 300 trees is that there should be quite a bit of variation. Some will fruit faster than others and have better fruit, and those can be watched and propagated.
Oscar,
I hope they can fruit nex crop ;D. The trees do not fruit yet but judging from foliage, there are some different types. Some trees have much larger and thicker foliages.
I hope those trees will bear larger fruit; after all, the point is fruit.

Rock

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #57 on: December 14, 2013, 08:30:07 PM »
They can start fruiting when about 1.5 meters tall. But first crops are very light. Heavy crops can start when 2-3 meters tall. They respond very well to fertilizing. Yes treat them like jaboticabas.
Oscar

kgknight

• southeast florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 14, 2013, 10:46:37 PM »
Fruit hunter,
I am just joking. You have to admit that you do have a lot of cambuca trees. You also have different sizes and from what you said some are in different growing areas (more water). Your observations on what has been working and making them grow can definitely help out some of us. I haven't put my trees in the ground yet and mine are no where near as large as your trees. Anyway really great collection. Oh also I have found mine like water just as much as my sabaras.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #59 on: December 15, 2013, 12:03:31 AM »
Hi Rock, can you please explain why there is so much interest in cambuca fruit in Taiwan? Thanks,
Oscar

fruithunter

• Taiwan
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: December 15, 2013, 07:29:09 AM »
Hi Rock, can you please explain why there is so much interest in cambuca fruit in Taiwan? Thanks,

Oscar,
     There are some reasons why so many people here are interested in cambuca. Many people in Taiwan have been  crazy about jaboticaba for over a decade because jaboticaba fruit can be made into some products such as jaboticaba juice, jaboticba ice, jaboticaba wine, jaboticaba preserves etc. In other words, jaboticaba industry is quite successful here, many people earn their living by growing jaboticaba. Moreover jaboticaba trees are very ornmental for horticultrual use. Not only for food but also for ornmental use, jaboticaba is really a dream tree in Taiwan. As a result, people here have  tried to seek for some trees that are identical to jaboticaba recently.
     Aonther possibility is that many nursery owners here are willing to grow new trees and then introduce and promote them to fruit farmers. For example, there were very few people knowing abiu about ten years ago but now it is a very popular fruit in Taiwan. Many fruit farmers become rich because of abiu. People here are getting to know  growing new species is possible to make a fortune so more and moe people here like to grow something different. Besides, with the fading of betel nut industry, the  owners also want to find another choice, this really increase the demand of growing exotic trees.

Rock

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #62 on: December 15, 2013, 04:47:17 PM »
Fruithunter,

I'm really proud to know you...I think you've done a great service to your country (and the whole world) by planting so many of these rare (slow growing), delicious and marketable fruits.

if Plinia edulis could talk, I know what it would say to you, "you're my Rock"
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 15, 2013, 04:58:38 PM »
Rock, while sabara might produce more often than other jaboticabas there are many other good quality species.From what I can figure about 15 species have fruit that are pretty good to eat.At least 4 of those species have at least 10 named varieties that are distinct from each other.
Did Taiwan source their abius from Australia or perhaps Brazil? Do you know the name of any varieties?

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #64 on: December 16, 2013, 02:22:54 AM »

Oscar,
     There are some reasons why so many people here are interested in cambuca. Many people in Taiwan have been  crazy about jaboticaba for over a decade because jaboticaba fruit can be made into some products such as jaboticaba juice, jaboticba ice, jaboticaba wine, jaboticaba preserves etc. In other words, jaboticaba industry is quite successful here, many people earn their living by growing jaboticaba. Moreover jaboticaba trees are very ornmental for horticultrual use. Not only for food but also for ornmental use, jaboticaba is really a dream tree in Taiwan. As a result, people here have  tried to seek for some trees that are identical to jaboticaba recently.
     Aonther possibility is that many nursery owners here are willing to grow new trees and then introduce and promote them to fruit farmers. For example, there were very few people knowing abiu about ten years ago but now it is a very popular fruit in Taiwan. Many fruit farmers become rich because of abiu. People here are getting to know  growing new species is possible to make a fortune so more and moe people here like to grow something different. Besides, with the fading of betel nut industry, the  owners also want to find another choice, this really increase the demand of growing exotic trees.

Hi Rock, thanks for explaining. I remember mailing 1000 abiu seeds to a nursery in Taiwan about 12+ years ago. Glad to hear that people in Taiwan appreciate rare fruits from other countries. In many countries people are very reluctant to try new fruits.
Oscar

fruithunter

• Taiwan
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 16, 2013, 07:19:15 AM »
Rock: how did you got 300 cambuca trees? From seeds?

Yes, I grew them from seeds.
Rock

fruithunter

• Taiwan
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 16, 2013, 07:42:34 AM »
Fruithunter,

I'm really proud to know you...I think you've done a great service to your country (and the whole world) by planting so many of these rare (slow growing), delicious and marketable fruits.

if Plinia edulis could talk, I know what it would say to you, "you're my Rock"
Adam,
You overprize me, I'm just a nobody ;D. The key reason why I plant different exotic fruit tee is that I enjoy the all process of growing them. I feel happy when the seeds germinate, new sticks sprout, flower and look forward to the ripe of fruit. By the way, we did the same thing to the plants, I also sing songs to them. ;D
Rock

fruithunter

• Taiwan
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 16, 2013, 07:53:15 AM »
Rock, while sabara might produce more often than other jaboticabas there are many other good quality species.From what I can figure about 15 species have fruit that are pretty good to eat.At least 4 of those species have at least 10 named varieties that are distinct from each other.
Did Taiwan source their abius from Australia or perhaps Brazil? Do you know the name of any varieties?
Mike,
As far as I know, the abius in Taiwan were from Hawaii, the Philippines,Singapore and  Malaysia. People grew them from seeds and the selected some better ones.

I will be very if I can get some new species or varietis of jaboticaba ;D.

Rock

fruithunter

• Taiwan
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 16, 2013, 08:09:29 AM »

Oscar,

Hi Rock, thanks for explaining. I remember mailing 1000 abiu seeds to a nursery in Taiwan about 12+ years ago. Glad to hear that people in Taiwan appreciate rare fruits from other countries. In many countries people are very reluctant to try new fruits.
Yes, Hawaii is one the most important new fruits source for Taiwan. To take an example, jaboticaba was imported from Hawaii to Taiwan in 1967.
Growing new fruits is one of the happiest thing in my life. Believe it or not, I sometimes eat different fruits that is not on earth in my dream. Maybe I am mad, ha ha ha.
Rock

fruithunter

• Taiwan
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 16, 2013, 08:20:30 AM »
Fruit hunter,
I am just joking. You have to admit that you do have a lot of cambuca trees. You also have different sizes and from what you said some are in different growing areas (more water). Your observations on what has been working and making them grow can definitely help out some of us. I haven't put my trees in the ground yet and mine are no where near as large as your trees. Anyway really great collection. Oh also I have found mine like water just as much as my sabaras.

I planted my cambucas when they were about 1 foot tall; as a result, I lost some of them when I weeded because grasses grew much faster :'(.  My suggesstion is to plant them when they are about2.5 feet tall.
Rock

huertasurbanas

• Junín, Argentina, zone 9b/9a
    • View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
« Reply #70 on: December 16, 2013, 10:17:22 AM »
Rock: how did you got 300 cambuca trees? From seeds?

Yes, I grew them from seeds.

Adam is right: you are a hero.

Maybe you are carrying out a venture that 90% of people in this forum have dreaming to do someday, but only 1% will.

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 27, 2014, 04:45:40 PM »
so, cambuca should be planted in full sun.  Any more tips?  I am trying to plan a spot for the cambuca seedling i got recently.   
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 27, 2014, 05:23:41 PM »
I planted my 3 when about 1 foot high last winter when the sun was not so strong.One in full sun struggled through summer but has now sprung back,one in filtered light has done quite well and the one in shade out-performed the other 2.One I kept in a pot in greenhouse conditions has done better again so 18 inches high and quite shadey when temps are 22c to 29c would be my best bet for planting out.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #73 on: March 27, 2014, 05:27:33 PM »
so, cambuca should be planted in full sun.  Any more tips?  I am trying to plan a spot for the cambuca seedling i got recently.   

Some shade when little, full sun when big. How much sun, how much shade, and at what stage, depends on where you are, what season it is, how much cloud cover you get, etc.
Generally speaking once they are about a foot tall they can take full sun.
Oscar

fruithunter

• Taiwan
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 28, 2014, 09:50:57 AM »
After growing for 4 and a half years, one of my trees starts to flower. This tree is not the largest one, about 5feet tall and 4 feet wide. Some of my trees are 6 feet tall already but do not flower yet. I'm really excited about that.

Rock