Author Topic: How close can I plant avocado trees?  (Read 2778 times)

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
Re: How close can I plant avocado trees?
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2022, 07:00:03 PM »
Why are you posting in one congealed paragraph? This is disrespect to this forum and I don't care ///cannot read what you have to say.

I mean I get what you said, but you are actually (think)I get it self adverse to people reading absorbing it. A self inhibitory light shine and you are smarter than me.
????? What are you talking about, zands?  Are you auditioning to be the new "bsbullie?"
John

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2022, 07:01:15 PM »
Why are you posting in one congealed paragraph? This is disrespect to this forum and I don't care ///cannot read what you have to say.

I mean I get what you said, but you are actually (think)I get it self adverse to people reading absorbing it. A self inhibitory light shine and you are smarter than me.
????? What are you talking about, zands?  Are you auditioning to be the new "bsbullie?"

Just for one day. (David Bowie)   And Slava Ukraini... All else is commentary these days.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2022, 07:14:06 PM by zands »

TheVeggieProfessor

• Broward County, FL, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2022, 04:25:27 PM »
There are articles about planting 3 trees side by side especially for pollination.  I did that with my fig trees, but not my avocados.
I have to keep my avocados small so don't need to plant them too far apart.  When I plant, I am thinking about the size I will let
each get.
Blessings with your avocado trees.

Thank you! Yes, I want to keep them small because I don't need a ton of fruit, it's just for my family and friends. I do want multiple trees to extend the season. Do you think if I keep them small that 10 feet apart will be enough?

10 ft is way too tight. No closer than 15. You can also consider doing 1 tree and grafting the other varieties onto it. Avocados can't really be preserved too well so that way you extend the season with being overwhelmed with too much fruit. Then more space for other species.

Heather Florida

• Pompano Beach, FL, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2022, 12:35:49 PM »
10 ft is way too tight. No closer than 15. You can also consider doing 1 tree and grafting the other varieties onto it. Avocados can't really be preserved too well so that way you extend the season with being overwhelmed with too much fruit. Then more space for other species.

Thanks for the info! I have never graphed before, but I have been researching how to do it.

Heather Florida

• Pompano Beach, FL, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2022, 12:42:38 PM »
This is so horrible.

This makes me so worried about my front yard trees.  I planted in my front yard because I want as many trees as possible.  I have 27 trees on 1/3 acre.  I have jackfruit, coconut, lime, avocado and mango in the front yard.  I have the option to put all buy 1 coconut tree inside a front yard fence.  All my trees in the front are not producing yet.  I could also do security cameras, but that may not deter them.  Right now I have a front yard papaya tree that will produce in a few months so I'll see if anyone takes them.  I don't want to go through the expense of the fence or cameras but I'm expecting that I probably will have to.  :'(

I know, I want to plant in the front yard, too. I am going to try to plant close to the house and just see what happens. There are so many cool fruit trees that I want to plant that grow in South Florida, but my backyard is too small to fit them all! I think I am going to plant a Mamey Sapote and White Sapote in the front this weekend. I am hoping that maybe people won't recognize them as easily as the Avocado and Mangos?!
Good Luck, Julie!

TheVeggieProfessor

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2022, 01:26:54 PM »
This is so horrible.

This makes me so worried about my front yard trees.  I planted in my front yard because I want as many trees as possible.  I have 27 trees on 1/3 acre.  I have jackfruit, coconut, lime, avocado and mango in the front yard.  I have the option to put all buy 1 coconut tree inside a front yard fence.  All my trees in the front are not producing yet.  I could also do security cameras, but that may not deter them.  Right now I have a front yard papaya tree that will produce in a few months so I'll see if anyone takes them.  I don't want to go through the expense of the fence or cameras but I'm expecting that I probably will have to.  :'(

I know, I want to plant in the front yard, too. I am going to try to plant close to the house and just see what happens. There are so many cool fruit trees that I want to plant that grow in South Florida, but my backyard is too small to fit them all! I think I am going to plant a Mamey Sapote and White Sapote in the front this weekend. I am hoping that maybe people won't recognize them as easily as the Avocado and Mangos?!
Good Luck, Julie!

I'm quite worried about my front yard trees as well, but I'd rather have something growing even if some get stolen than nothing at all. I think my jackfruit will take a hit, followed by mamey. Red custard apple, unsure. Barbados cherry, persimmon, and fig I think are safe.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2022, 09:34:50 PM »
Yes, I think white sapote, mamey sapote, green sapote, persimmon, and jackfruit would all be good ones for the front yard.  I had a sapodilla right next to the street, and no one ever touched the fruit except the squirrels!  And it made a beautiful ornamental tree, as well.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2022, 09:37:37 PM by johnb51 »
John

Julie

• Miami, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2022, 12:10:46 AM »
I'm thinking front yard fence or security cameras.  Front yard fence may be the only thing that works.  I'm working from home and I have my office right next to my front yard and can hear anyone during the day.  I will come out screaming if I hear anyone touching my fruit.  Coconut, mango, lychee are best not planted in the front yard.  Unfortunately I didn't plan out my yard all at once and have been working on it for years so I have mango and coconut in the front yard.  I don't have mature trees yet in my front yard, only babies, but I'm just going on what other people tell me.

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2022, 01:28:51 PM »
Fence will actually deter. Camera isn't that helpful. Sure, you may get their license plate or photos / videos of their face... but the police ain't going to follow up on fruit theft. If you really care about the fruit, fence it off.

Heather Florida

• Pompano Beach, FL, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2022, 03:43:13 PM »
Fence will actually deter. Camera isn't that helpful. Sure, you may get their license plate or photos / videos of their face... but the police ain't going to follow up on fruit theft. If you really care about the fruit, fence it off.

I checked with my city to get a fence permit for the front yard, however, since I am on a corner lot, the front yard fence has to be 25 feet from the front of my property line. Therefore, there is no room for me to put a fence. :(

slopat

• USA, California, central coast, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2022, 04:23:34 PM »
Would a Finger lime and jujube hedge as living fence work?

Heather Florida

• Pompano Beach, FL, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2022, 06:17:03 PM »

Unfortunately, the same rule applies for hedges because it impairs the vision of the cars turning the corner. However, that is an awesome idea if I kept it up more toward the house and put my trees behind it, and I could eat off of it! I am going to look into jujube plants tonight.

Thank you, Slopat!

TheVeggieProfessor

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2022, 07:25:01 AM »

Unfortunately, the same rule applies for hedges because it impairs the vision of the cars turning the corner. However, that is an awesome idea if I kept it up more toward the house and put my trees behind it, and I could eat off of it! I am going to look into jujube plants tonight.

Thank you, Slopat!

Even a very small barrier like a picket fence or clumping grass would deter some people. Not those who are determined, but it does make a bit of a psychological barrier for those who would otherwise grab a few fruits when walking by.

Julie

• Miami, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2022, 09:06:06 AM »

I checked with my city to get a fence permit for the front yard, however, since I am on a corner lot, the front yard fence has to be 25 feet from the front of my property line. Therefore, there is no room for me to put a fence. :(

In that case I would plant fruits people aren't as likely to steal.  You can post no trespassing signs.