Author Topic: Cold Hardy Longan tree varieties  (Read 780 times)

jimfim

• ohio
    • View Profile
Cold Hardy Longan tree varieties
« on: March 21, 2023, 12:21:28 PM »
We are looking for the coldest Longan variety we can find.

We have seen longan trees in New York state area, (outside but near the city)
and we are sure it gets colder than 20 deg F.  But they claim to get fruit regularly.

Any help on what variety can withstand the lowest temperatures, and where they can be purchased?

thanks
jim

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
Re: Cold Hardy Longan tree varieties
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2023, 12:51:53 PM »
I have a kohala and it's a champ for me. It has not even blinked here in 9b. I don't think it would like <20f, this said. It didn't defoliate, but you can see some frost and snow damage on the leaves.

My suggestion would be kohala as everyone says that's the most vigorous grower.

Post a photo of these NY Longans!

FloridaManDan

• Fort Lauderdale, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2023, 12:56:49 PM »
I would also recommend Kohala Longan, best variety to grow in the states IMO.

I have a stunted aka "dwarf" (but growing) specimen I was keeping for myself in a 3-Gal, although I am open to trade. It would be good to keep potted if you try, and take it indoors for late fall/winter, cause I don't believe it will survive anything less than 9a.

jimfim

• ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2023, 02:58:32 PM »
I will ask if we can get a picture.. Its in NY and we are in OHIO
Zone 6
I doubted the whole story  but my friends are swearing by it.

From some posts I have read that the later it produces the more cold hardy..and that led us to
Diamond River
(Petch Sakorn)....But we don't find them for sale in the states

jim

Pau

• California
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2023, 03:14:13 PM »
If kohola is the most cold hardy, anyone got seeds of it? Since seed grown is more resillient. I would be interested in buying some. Ty.

Tropical7B

• Zone 7B
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2023, 07:13:07 PM »
I'm in Zone 7, I had a Kohala growing in pot for years. The flowers  smelled great. Unfortunately, it died the first year it gave me exactly 1 fruit.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2023, 08:40:12 AM by Tropical7B »

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2023, 08:17:33 PM »
If kohola is the most cold hardy, anyone got seeds of it? Since seed grown is more resillient. I would be interested in buying some. Ty.
I have two trees starting to flower now. Check back with me in July and I will have seeds
if you are still interested

Pau

• California
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2023, 10:21:59 AM »
I have two trees starting to flower now. Check back with me in July and I will have seeds
if you are still interes
ted

Will do ty!

John B

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2023, 03:51:31 PM »

I have a few seedlings growing from seeds I got from FloridaManDan (Thanks Dan!) last summer. I just up-potted them to a gallon but they got beat up from some hard hail. If you want to trade for one, let me know. It'd be best to wait a couple weeks to let them heal.

Pau

• California
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2023, 06:13:48 PM »
I got seedlings that were beat up from shipping also, it died. Im thinking if it grew from seed in my climate it will acclimate as it grows.

fruit4me

• USA, CA/LOS ANGELES,SAN GABRIEL
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2023, 07:28:53 PM »
I have some fresh Chuleon fruit/seeds(10 to 15) still on the tree. Selling for $20 shipped. PM if interested. 

John B

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2023, 07:42:34 PM »
I got seedlings that were beat up from shipping also, it died. Im thinking if it grew from seed in my climate it will acclimate as it grows.

No worries, I understand. These seedlings weren't beat up from transit. They were germinated seeds that did handle our weather through the wet winter here. They easily took temps to 34 but the hard hail beat them up. Even with this extra rain, they are perking back up.

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2023, 07:51:14 PM »
Ok just to dispel the myth, I went to check on one of my longans that I left snow on. It lost some young growth, but probably had snow overnight on it. The other leaves on the canopy were burnt a bit as well.

I just simply do not see these surviving in NY, full stop.

Nick C

• New Jersey Zone 7A
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2023, 08:15:48 PM »
Ok just to dispel the myth, I went to check on one of my longans that I left snow on. It lost some young growth, but probably had snow overnight on it. The other leaves on the canopy were burnt a bit as well.

At first I thought maybe they meant loquat cause it’s possible for them to survive in ground but def not getting fruit. My inground tree got pretty fried this year and I’m in 7a. If we’re actually talking longan it’s gota be container grown and brought under protection 100%

Tropical7B

• Zone 7B
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2023, 08:29:17 PM »

At first I thought maybe they meant loquat cause it’s possible for them to survive in ground but def not getting fruit. My inground tree got pretty fried this year and I’m in 7a. If we’re actually talking longan it’s gota be container grown and brought under protection 100%
I second that - no way longan can make it in the ground in NY, but loquat, not a problem at all; however, getting it to fruit, that's a different story.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2023, 08:33:26 AM by Tropical7B »