Author Topic: Navel vs Hamlin zone 8B?  (Read 3888 times)

Empoweredandfree

• FL zone 9
    • View Profile
Navel vs Hamlin zone 8B?
« on: December 03, 2021, 03:13:07 PM »
Which of these varieties would be better in a protected area of 8B. An area where supplemental heat can be supplied/south facing wall. Thanks!

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
Re: Navel vs Hamlin zone 8B?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2021, 03:41:18 PM »
Navel oranges can withstand 28F for shot periods,  and lower when grafted onto Poncirus root stock.  Hamlin is the top choice for orange juice.  It is also more cold hardy than the Navel orange. Hamlin is the hardiest of the sweet orange group, although it will be damaged at temps down to 20 degrees F.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2021, 03:48:39 PM by Millet »

Empoweredandfree

• FL zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2021, 04:12:49 PM »
Great to hear, I actually prefer the taste of Hamlin over Navel. I think it deserves more than being relegated to the “juice only” category!

countryboy1981

• 8B Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2021, 04:48:48 PM »
My Washington & Glen navel orange trees survived low 20's without any damage.

Laaz

• Charleston, SC 9a
    • View Profile
    • Citrusgrowers forum
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2021, 05:16:24 PM »
Hamlin ripens Sept-Oct. Navels late Dec... My variegated Hamlin survived that 2018 freak 16F freeze with very little damage.

Empoweredandfree

• FL zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2021, 09:20:08 AM »
Are you guys keeping the trees in sheltered areas or any other protection measures?

Laaz

• Charleston, SC 9a
    • View Profile
    • Citrusgrowers forum
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2021, 09:42:13 AM »
No protection at all.

countryboy1981

• 8B Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2021, 09:00:00 PM »
No protection other than banking with soil when temps possibly plunge down below 20.

Empoweredandfree

• FL zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2021, 08:15:44 PM »
Banking with soil? I’m assuming you are referring to mounding soil up above the graft? My idea was getting a tomato cage to wrap around the trunks and place hay between the cage and tree followed by a wrapping of burlap

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2021, 02:48:08 PM »
Empower, your idea works also.

Empoweredandfree

• FL zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2021, 06:51:42 PM »
Thanks Millet, when the trees get larger I will protect as much of the trunk as I can above the graft, if the top dies so be it

countryboy1981

• 8B Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2021, 01:30:46 PM »
Banking with soil? I’m assuming you are referring to mounding soil up above the graft? My idea was getting a tomato cage to wrap around the trunks and place hay between the cage and tree followed by a wrapping of burlap

That is correct.  Navel oranges are much more cold hardy than they are given credit for after they get some size to them.  My 5+ year old Washington navel takes low 20s without damage even to the leaves.  It is not a great fruit setter though, the Glen Navel sets much more fruit.

Empoweredandfree

• FL zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2021, 09:57:31 PM »
Great to know, how does that Washington Navel taste? Is it much better than the store navels? The reason I ask is I have one more prime area in front of the house that I was either going to do a Satsuma or Washington navel.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2021, 07:33:31 AM by Empoweredandfree »

countryboy1981

• 8B Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2021, 08:39:46 AM »
Great to know, how does that Washington Navel taste? Is it much better than the store navels? The reason I ask is I have one more prime area in front of the house that I was either going to do a Satsuma or Washington navel.

I personally prefer satsumas over navel oranges, a lot due to size and the ease of peeling.  The best Navel Orange I have ever had was ugly and hanging on a tree in Fairhope, AL.  A mature navel orange tree is much better than store bought.  If I were putting in a navel tree, I would do the Glen Navel due to fruit set issues with Washington Navel in the southeast.

Empoweredandfree

• FL zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2021, 12:38:48 PM »
Thanks Country for all the info. Low production isn’t a great big concern if the taste is much better on one versus the other. I can only get Washington navel as that’s all my local nursery carries from Saxon Bechel & Sons.

In terms of Satsumas I can choose from Brown Select and Owari with Meiwa kumquat as a wild card option.

countryboy1981

• 8B Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2021, 09:40:17 PM »
The glen navel is available at madison county citrus online here:

https://madisoncitrusnursery.com/products/glen-naval-orange-trees-for-sale

I was going to tear out my Washington if it did not give me fruit.  It has saved itself by giving me a few fruit but has been outproduced (all time total production) by the glen which has been in the ground 3 less years.

Empoweredandfree

• FL zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2021, 02:35:16 PM »
Thanks for the link.Do the Glenn’s taste as good as the Washington’s?

countryboy1981

• 8B Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2021, 03:02:19 PM »
Thanks for the link.Do the Glenn’s taste as good as the Washington’s?

I don't notice a difference between the two except that Glenn has much much netter production in the southeast.

GFC

• High Springs Florida Zone 8b
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2022, 09:10:02 PM »
When I bought my naval at Lowes last year it just labeled naval. Can I assume its a glen naval. This was at a Lowes in Fl.

countryboy1981

• 8B Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2022, 09:13:12 AM »
When I bought my naval at Lowes last year it just labeled naval. Can I assume its a glen naval. This was at a Lowes in Fl.

Its most likely a Washington Navel.  Record Buck Farms is most likely the company who grafted it.  They have a website with variety listings that I am unable to find this second, it is something like mycitrustree.com, it is not that web address but something similar.  It is usually located on the tag.  I have seen a few more general listings for their varities like satsuma will just say satsuma mandarin those are most likely owari.

GFC

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2022, 12:14:29 AM »

Its most likely a Washington Navel.  Record Buck Farms is most likely the company who grafted it.  They have a website with variety listings that I am unable to find this second, it is something like mycitrustree.com, it is not that web address but something similar.  It is usually located on the tag.  I have seen a few more general listings for their varities like satsuma will just say satsuma mandarin those are most likely owari.

Thanks for the info. it was in a 1 gallon size when I planted it. Right now it is full of blooms. Do you think this is the website your referring to https://www.citrus.com/product/washington-navel-orange-tree-product/#reviews

countryboy1981

• 8B Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2022, 07:33:30 AM »
No I saw the tags again at the home depot.  It is mycitrustree.com but it appears the page is no longer active.

GFC

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2022, 10:54:53 AM »
Is this washington navel the same as the variety grown in Washington. Thanks